Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Question for Yanks fans

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,359

    Question for Yanks fans

    Forget what inning it was last night

    It was 0-0 and you could tell Wang was going to be tough to score on.

    Cano was up with 0 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd. Yanks have had trouble hitting with runners in scoring position, have not been scoring many runs at all lately, have there Ace on the mound and Cano has been struggling most of the season.

    How do you not lay down a bunt right there? I know it would have brought up the bottom half of the lineup but come on.. That was the spot to lay down a bunt.

    After Cano grounded into a force play it was 1st and 3rd w/ 1 out..Next guy hits a high chopper that turns into a DP. 0 Runs that inning. If you lay the bunt down its 2nd and 3rd w/ 1 out. The Rays most likely bring the infield in and the high chopper gets by the infield w/ 2 runs scored. If they had the infield back then just 1 run scores and Matsui wins the game in the 9th.

    Anyone else feel that was a bunting situation?
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-14-2008 at 12:18 PM.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Forget what inning it was last night but it was early on..

    It was 0-0 and you could tell Wang was going to be tough to score on.

    Cano was up with 0 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd. Yanks have had trouble hitting with runners in scoring position, have been not scoring many runs at all lately, have there Ace on the mound and Cano has been struggling most of the season.

    How do you not lay down a bunt right there? I know it would have brought up the bottom half of the lineup but come on.. That was the spot to lay down a bunt.

    After Cano grounded out it was 1st and 3rd w/ 1 out..Next guy hits a high chopper that turns into a DP. 0 Runs that inning. If you lay the bunt down its 2nd and 3rd w/ 1 out. The Rays most likely bring the infield in and the high chopper gets by the infield w/ 2 runs scored. If they had the infield back then just 1 run scores and Matsui wins the game in the 9th.

    Anyone else feel that was a bunting situation?
    Yes. This team was doing things like that during the spring so I really don't understand why they are not doing it now...especially considering ther are having a hard time scoring and Cano is terrible right now.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    Yes. This team was doing things like that during the spring so I really don't understand why they are not doing it now...especially considering ther are having a hard time scoring and Cano is terrible right now.
    No SB attempt either it seems. Melky-Jeter-Damon and Abreu are at least capable of the occassional SB. I believe they have 12 steals and have been caught 10 times where a team such as the Angels has 35 sb's. Girardi has been a bust to date at trying to jump start the offense.

  4. #4
    Yes, I completely agree. When the team is having trouble scoring runs, you have to try and manufacture them. You can't just sit back and wait for the big hit. Bunt would have definitely been the right call there, especially when runs look like they are going to be hard to come by.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    I think you have your innings mixed up. Cano hit into a double play in that spot. The high chopping double play was later in the game I think

    Nevertheless, you're right. Should've bunted.

  6. #6
    FWIW, Cano was hitting like .360 if I remember correctly on his current hitting streak heading into the game.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    I think you have your innings mixed up. Cano hit into a double play in that spot. The high chopping double play was later in the game I think

    Nevertheless, you're right. Should've bunted.
    No. Cano came up at with 0 outs and runners on 1st and second.. He hit into a fielders choice.. Made it 1st and 3rd. The next guy up hit into a DP. Cano didnt hit into a DP last night.

    This is a play by play of the inning im talking about. Got this off of ESPN:

    J Giambi singled to center.
    M Cabrera singled to center, J Giambi to second.
    R Cano grounded into fielder's choice to first, M Cabrera out at second, J Giambi to third.
    A Gonzalez grounded into double play, third to second to first, R Cano out at second.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-14-2008 at 02:30 PM.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    No. Cano came up at with 0 outs and runners on 1st and second.. He hit into a fielders choice.. Made it 1st and 3rd. The next guy up hit into a DP. Cano didnt hit into a DP last night.

    This is a play by play of the inning im talking about. Got this off of ESPN:

    J Giambi singled to center.
    M Cabrera singled to center, J Giambi to second.
    R Cano grounded into fielder's choice to first, M Cabrera out at second, J Giambi to third.
    A Gonzalez grounded into double play, third to second to first, R Cano out at second.
    Ok, my bad then. Been so many double plays lately that they're all jumbled up in my head

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us