Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Do you like players using a Panenka for penalties?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's beautiful and sexy.

5 83.33%
  • No, it's too risky.

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panenka Debate

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Panenka Debate

I know we're all tied up in our All Time Draft, but I had this debate last night in a bar with a friend, concerning the 'Panenka'.

For those who don't know, a 'Panenka' is the way Zidane kicked his penalty in the World Cup Final. It was named after a Czechoslovakian player. This was during a Euro Final 76: West Germany - Czechoslovakia. 2-2 after full time and OT, so the game goes to a shootout.

Czechoslovakia (have no idea how to spell that) is up 4-3, and 1 kick left. If Panenka scores they win, he misses and West Germany can get back in it. And he pulls this..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o2qPONb8yHc

While I agree it took HUGE balls, and I admire the artistry in such a tension filled situation, personally I hate the kick. Do it if you're up 4-0 with 10 minutes to go, but not in an important situation. I think it's extremely vain. Zidane even admitted it saying he wanted to do something to be remembered by (he got served on that subject ).

Anyways, my buddy took the 'artsistc' side saying it's magnificent, full of bravery..blabla. If I'm a manager, it would definitely be one of my rules: no Panenkas. Score the penalty, period.

What about you guys?

Poll coming (never done one so I'll try to figure it out).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I know we're all tied up in our All Time Draft, but I had this debate last night in a bar with a friend, concerning the 'Panenka'.

For those who don't know, a 'Panenka' is the way Zidane kicked his penalty in the World Cup Final. It was named after a Czechoslovakian player. This was during a Euro Final 76: West Germany - Czechoslovakia. 2-2 after full time and OT, so the game goes to a shootout.

Czechoslovakia (have no idea how to spell that) is up 4-3, and 1 kick left. If Panenka scores they win, he misses and West Germany can get back in it. And he pulls this..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o2qPONb8yHc

While I agree it took HUGE balls, and I admire the artistry in such a tension filled situation, personally I hate the kick. Do it if you're up 4-0 with 10 minutes to go, but not in an important situation. I think it's extremely vain. Zidane even admitted it saying he wanted to do something to be remembered by (he got served on that subject ).

Anyways, my buddy took the 'artsistc' side saying it's magnificent, full of bravery..blabla. If I'm a manager, it would definitely be one of my rules: no Panenkas. Score the penalty, period.

What about you guys?

Poll coming (never done one so I'll try to figure it out).
    i can see your point but what a beautiful goal.and i hate soccer,no offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    i can see your point but what a beautiful goal.and i hate soccer,no offense.
    I agree, on the beautiful goal part.

But to translate this to football, would you like your QB on 4th and goal with 1 sec left on the clock IN THE SUPER BOWL to throw with his left arm just to throw off the defense?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, on the beautiful goal part.

But to translate this to football, would you like your QB on 4th and goal with 1 sec left on the clock IN THE SUPER BOWL to throw with his left arm just to throw off the defense?
    i think a better analogy would be a boot-leg.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    i think a better analogy would be a boot-leg.
    I don't agree. A bootleg would be a risky call, a Panenka is technically difficult.

I agree throwing with a left arm is pushing it, but it was to underline the point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To further express my point, look at Zidane's Panenka in the World Cup Final. he almost missed it. All that for his ego.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BAMOwEy1iBY&feature=related

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    a Panenka is technically difficult.

I agree that it's very difficult to pull off but if done correctly it's almost impossible to stop for a goalie. So I'm for it if it's a player like Zizou taking the penalty but some people are just not meant to do it.

Lemme ask you a question...

what do you think about passing the penalty shot, like Cruyff did successfully once upon a time and Henry&Pires botched it last year... That has got to be the most pointless thing I've ever heard being done on a football pitch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    what do you think about passing the penalty shot, like Cruyff did successfully once upon a time and Henry&Pires botched it last year... That has got to be the most pointless thing I've ever heard being done on a football pitch.
    It's on the same level. Obviously when it's done correctly you look like an artistic genius. When botched you're an idiot.

Therefore, don't take chances and just kick it. A penalty isn't easy enough that you have to try a sneaky way to score???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's on the same level. Obviously when it's done correctly you look like an artistic genius. When botched you're an idiot.

Therefore, don't take chances and just kick it. A penalty isn't easy enough that you have to try a sneaky way to score???

I really wanted Laudrup....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    To further express my point, look at Zidane's Panenka in the World Cup Final. he almost missed it. All that for his ego.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BAMOwEy1iBY&feature=related
    Ohh how I wish he missed it

I seem to remember Francesco Totti doing this once, and the GK saw it coming all the way. He stood like a statue and easily caught the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I really wanted Laudrup....
    Wrong thread

Brillant player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree. A bootleg would be a risky call, a Panenka is technically difficult.

I agree throwing with a left arm is pushing it, but it was to underline the point.
    gotcha

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    btw, Raoul, that penalty was bull****. Matterazzi didn't even touch the guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOFwCQI_ME

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    btw, Raoul, that penalty was bull****. Matterazzi didn't even touch the guy
    I was about to respond to your previous post saying it would've been fair for him to miss it since it was a bogus call.

In the 2nd half a very real penalty wasn't called.

So STFU

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was about to respond to your previous post saying it would've been fair for him to miss it since it was a bogus call.

In the 2nd half a very real penalty wasn't called.

So STFU
    I forgot all about that bogus call, myself. The video is great though, that match was so exciting. Can't wait for Euro '08. Group of death, baby.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot all about that bogus call, myself. The video is great though, that match was so exciting. Can't wait for Euro '08. Group of death, baby.
    I think I prefer the Euro to the World Cup because you have intense games off the bat. 1st round of the WC is crap. Exotic, but boring IMO.

Just to let you know, and I want to make this perfectly clear, I hate Italy as a team and the players for everything they represent. For people of my generation they're like the Dolphins. I grew up with them always winning everything. Playing boring football and winning in the end. They replaced the Germans who always kicked our asses in the early 80's.

I love Italy and Italians, though. So don't take anything personally.

Here, just for you, I think the pinacle of sports memories for me was the Euro 2000 final. Not only the fact we won, but the heartbreaking, gut wrenching way we beat Italy was awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YucDT0OAKKM

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I prefer the Euro to the World Cup because you have intense games off the bat. 1st round of the WC is crap. Exotic, but boring IMO.

Just to let you know, and I want to make this perfectly clear, I hate Italy as a team and the players for everything they represent. For people of my generation they're like the Dolphins. I grew up with them always winning everything. Playing boring football and winning in the end. They replaced the Germans who always kicked our asses in the early 80's.

I love Italy and Italians, though. So don't take anything personally.

Here, just for you, I think the pinacle of sports memories for me was the Euro 2000 final. Not only the fact we won, but the heartbreaking, gut wrenching way we beat Italy was awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YucDT0OAKKM

Well thanks for clearing that up, haha. I just started really following soccer about 3 or 4 years ago so this is still all very new and exciting to me. I wish I was into it when we (USA) played host to the 1994 World Cup. One of my cousins from Rome visited my family during that entire summer; he stayed with my great grandmother. My uncle took him to a couple of games at the Meadowlands, which was great for him because he saw Italy play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well thanks for clearing that up, haha. I just started really following soccer about 3 or 4 years ago so this is still all very new and exciting to me. I wish I was into it when we (USA) played host to the 1994 World Cup. One of my cousins from Rome visited my family during that entire summer; he stayed with my great grandmother. My uncle took him to a couple of games at the Meadowlands, which was great for him because he saw Italy play.
    You mean you didn't go through the pain of the Euro 2000 Final??

Aw man, I was hoping you'd start hyperventilating or something.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean you didn't go through the pain of the Euro 2000 Final??

Aw man, I was hoping you'd start hyperventilating or something.
    If it makes you feel any better I did...I was rooting for the Italians in that match.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it makes you feel any better I did...I was rooting for the Italians in that match.