Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again....

Wagner vs the Locker Room.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Care to elaborate? I'm still at the office.

Okay, just saw it at the dailynews. I'm on Wagner's side and it's obvious that this team has been having clubhouse problems since mid season last year. I was convinced that was the reason they wanted no part of LoDuca. This team is flat out SOFT and it's the tough ones that wind up looking bad.
    Last edited by SINYJets; 05-15-2008 at 06:01 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is 100% right. Why the **** does he have to answer questions while his teammates run out the door. They want to play in Ny for the money and stardom but don't want the responsibility that comes with it? That is just bull ****. Take the fans money but don't answer any questions. I do not bame him for being mad, someone needs to step up or they should cut Delgado to make an example of them. Knowing the Mets brass they'll get rid of Wagner like they did to LoDuca. LoDuca talked a lot of **** but was right most of the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the one thing I love about Wagner, he speaks his mind.

Wagner, on the offense and pitching, said:

“Hits, we’re not getting consistently. Pitching, today, Pelfrey pitched a fantastic game. We had our chances, we didn’t get that hit. The other day, we’re coming back and we don’t get that hit and we don’t make the pitches. It’s a culmination of just not getting it done. We’re not earning our money.”

According to eye-witnesses, Wagner directed his final comments in the general direction of Carlos Delgado’s locker, saying:

“Can somebody tell me why the (bleep) the closer being interviewd and I didn’t even play, while they’re over there not getting interviewed? I get it, they’re gone. (Bleeping) shocker.”
    It may piss off his teammates, but when you have an ERA of 0.00, you can say whatever the **** you want, especially when it's truthful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Supposedly he told Michael Kay after the game that a conversation would be had tomorrow with the people he has a problem with.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It's the one thing I love about Wagner, he speaks his mind.

It may piss off his teammates, but when you have an ERA of 0.00, you can say whatever the **** you want, especially when it's truthful.

delgado needs to be called out. he is the ultimate rally killer. reyes needs to be called out as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the interview and its obvious that the locker room is very split and that there are certain players who just dont want any part of dealing with the media. Im not all crazy on the Willie must go bandwagon, but this is something that is the managers fault. He has allowed way too many cliques to form on this team the last two years and he doesn't make his players take responsibility for their mistakes on the field. I think thats the whole attitude that did them in last year in September. While Wagner doesnt have to air this out in public it definitely is on the mind of some players and it has to be frustrating when someone who didnt even play in the game is going to be constantly asked about why didnt so and so make the right play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Per Metsblog

Just moments after his comments to reporters following today’s game, which you can check out here, Billy Wagner talked to ESPN 1050 in his regularly-scheduled, weekly interview.
    During Wagner’s discussion with Kay, he had the following to say regarding his earlier comments to reporters…

“Well, I mean, I was not a participant in the game, and the guys that had participated were gone. I mean, we’re all upset, we’re unhappy with things that are going on, and how we’re playing, and I just felt like I hadn’t even played. I had no role in the game. David Wright is always there, and the same guys are always there. But there needs to be other guys that are accountable. It gets a little old when the same people keep getting interviewed even when they don’t participate…If you’re not there to answer the questions, the reporters can write whatever they want to. They can write you stunk, you sucked, whatever. But if you’re there to say, ‘Hey man, I wasn’t very good today. I came up and I had a chance and it didn’t work out.’ Well, you’re accountable. When you’re not there, it gets a little ridiculous…

…Paul Lo Duca’s comments from last year, about certain players avoiding the media, and suggesting that other players speak English too…

“I think it’s just certain guys. I don’t think it’s Latin or white or black. I don’t think it’s a color thing. I think it’s just as a whole. There’s guys that need to stand there and take the bad with the good.”

…whether or not he has talked with Willie Randolph or Omar Minaya about this…
    “I think they understand. They know what goes on and I’m sure they’ve talked to everybody. That’s just a situation where I’m sure some of this stuff will be brought up tomorrow and see where we’ll go from there. I’m not saying it’s like earth-shattering. I’m just saying that I’m the closer of the baseball team – I’m not the captain. There’s other guys on this team that need to stand there and answer the questions during the tough times too.”

…he brings up an interesting point, in that by not speaking to reporters, it allows those reporters to frame reality however they see fit…and those stories, like it or not, tend to frame the discourse that goes on in the street, on talk radio and on blogs…and, this would not be such a big deal, but given how frustrated the fans are and how blah the team has been, it would make sense for the players to try and grab the wheel as much as they can…

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    to ake matters worse Wagner said all this while wearing a Pats hat

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wagner tends to rub me the wrong way at times because of things he says to the media, but IMO he is absolutely right in this situation. No way he should have to be the one answering to the media when he has no involvement in the game. The fact that he is lights out this year also doesn't hurt his case.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Wagner tends to rub me the wrong way at times because of things he says to the media, but IMO he is absolutely right in this situation. No way he should have to be the one answering to the media when he has no involvement in the game. The fact that he is lights out this year also doesn't hurt his case.
    If he wants to talk to the media that's his business. He's got no right telling his teammates they have to. That's their business. The airing of dirty laundry in public is not conducive to good team chemistry. Calling your teammates out in the papers is probably one of the worst things you can do. You are supposed to talk to guys in private. Don't be surprised if you pick up the paper one day and see that someone tried to hand Wagner his a$$.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    If he wants to talk to the media that's his business. He's got no right telling his teammates they have to. That's their business. The airing of dirty laundry in public is not conducive to good team chemistry. Calling your teammates out in the papers is probably one of the worst things you can do. You are supposed to talk to guys in private. Don't be surprised if you pick up the paper one day and see that someone tried to hand Wagner his a$$.
    I disagree about this one. There are dozens of papers and blogs that cover NY teams and the reporters need to do their job. If a player refuses to talk to the media, they place the burden on other players and that is his business.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    I disagree about this one. There are dozens of papers and blogs that cover NY teams and the reporters need to do their job. If a player refuses to talk to the media, they place the burden on other players and that is his business.
    If a player has a bad game and does not want to talk about it he is entitled to his privacy. Give the guy some room. He is human afterall. If your teammate does not want to talk, you get his back. That is what teammates are supposed to do. Not trash eachother in the papers. Wagner seems to have appointed himself team spokesman. What's worse is Wagner is pointing fingers. He is also making Randolph look terrible. Like he has lost total control over the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a player has a bad game and does not want to talk about it he is entitled to his privacy. Give the guy some room. He is human afterall. If your teammate does not want to talk, you get his back. That is what teammates are supposed to do. Not trash eachother in the papers. Wagner seems to have appointed himself team spokesman. What's worse is Wagner is pointing fingers. He is also making Randolph look terrible. Like he has lost total control over the team.
    But it seems as though it is the same players all the time. I agree if it is once get his back but if it is all the time certain players should not have to deflect the same issues all of the time.

Maybe these players have been told numerous times in private but they just don't change, maybe players have gone to Willie aksing him to talk to these players about the responsibility they have to talk to the press. If that is the case and nothing has changed then Willie has lost control.

I would agree with you if this was a one time thing (we know by LoDuca last year it is not) and I would agree if this is the first time these guys were hearing that their teammates had a problem with them. Without knowing that, it seems that you are choosing the give Delgado et al. the benefit of the doubt that this is the first time they have been made aware that it angers their teammates and I am choosing to give Wagner the benefit of the doubt that this was just the last straw.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Kay interview with Billy Wagner

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...dio&id=3398491

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guys Wagner and LoDuca are talking about never talk to the media that's the issue. It's really hasn't changed since last season and Randolph looks terrible all on his own.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadLover View Post
    But it seems as though it is the same players all the time. I agree if it is once get his back but if it is all the time certain players should not have to deflect the same issues all of the time.

Maybe these players have been told numerous times in private but they just don't change, maybe players have gone to Willie aksing him to talk to these players about the responsibility they have to talk to the press. If that is the case and nothing has changed then Willie has lost control.

I would agree with you if this was a one time thing (we know by LoDuca last year it is not) and I would agree if this is the first time these guys were hearing that their teammates had a problem with them. Without knowing that, it seems that you are choosing the give Delgado et al. the benefit of the doubt that this is the first time they have been made aware that it angers their teammates and I am choosing to give Wagner the benefit of the doubt that this was just the last straw.

Maybe a guy just isn't that good or is past his prime. No amount of badmouthing in the papers is going to change that. If a guy is consistently not producing then it is the front office's job to replace him. Speaking of straws - Reggie Jackson used to talk to the media all of the time when he was with the Yankees. It got him nowhere. Ended up most of his teammates could not stand him and it made for a very dysfunctional clubhouse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a guy just isn't that good or is past his prime. No amount of badmouthing in the papers is going to change that. If a guy is consistently not producing then it is the front office's job to replace him. Speaking of straws - Reggie Jackson used to talk to the media all of the time when he was with the Yankees. It got him nowhere. Ended up most of his teammates could not stand him and it made for a very dysfunctional clubhouse.
    That won two World Championships

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    That won two World Championships
    Correct and on the field Munson and Reggie put all the dislike behind them.

Leyland also said much the same a few weeks ago when he said he's been managing forever and chemistry and good clubhouses etc is the biggest bunch of horsecrap he's ever heard. Has nothing to do with what goes on once they cross the white lines. This Mets team whether we like it or not may simply be a team that is very very good when on a roll but can't pick themselves up during bad times. The Yankees on the other hand are a very average team right now who may benefit from what appears to be a very down looking year in the AL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly, but although I am sure he is pissed that some of the players suck, I think he is more mad that they ditch the clubhouse and force him and others to answer for their failings. To suck is one thing, to suck and run away and hide is another.