Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Put a "C" on this Mans Chest

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Put a "C" on this Mans Chest

    “I can accept losing. Not easily, but every team loses here and there. But to go out and give the effort we’re giving, to go out and lose without a fight…I just don’t think we have the fire I would hope we’d have.

    The problem isn’t (with the coaches or manager), the problem is with us, in here…I want (my teammates) to take it personally when we lose. I want them to be ticked off…If it was a matter of talent, it’d be different. If we just weren’t any good, I could put my head on the pillow at night and sleep. But to got through the motions every night…Talking about it doesn’t get it done.”
    - David Wright.

    Somebody gets it.

    Talking about things changing doesn't make it so, it doesn't work that way. Things won't change until the Mets, as a team, make them change.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't hockey. C's are stupid, but you're right... he should be named the captain.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like


    That's how we roll.

    Seriously though, he should be named Captain. That gesture would hopefully forcibly change the clubhouse dynamics where people should be playing up to Wright's example.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    - David Wright.

    Somebody gets it.

    Talking about things changing doesn't make it so, it doesn't work that way. Things won't change until the Mets, as a team, make them change.


    I love Wright and i think it is great that he feels this way but i would rather see him lead by example on the field more.....Just a few games ago against the Nationals he loafed on a flyball along with Castillo.....

    Last night he missed a throw that would have nailed a runner at third and did not get back to 3rd base on a bunt that Santana got to and would have had a play on the runner, they need better execution on that play as it was the 2nd time recentlythis has happened......The worse play in my view however is getting doubled off 2nd last night on a line drive with 0 outs and where your run does not mean anything since the Mets were down by 2, it does not matter if he goes 1st to third there since Beltran would be the tying run....You simply cannot be doubled off in that situation.....

    It is fine to talk the talk but he must show it on the field and lead that way in my view......

    The entire team pretty much with the exception of Ryan Church just does not seem to have the fire in them......The Braves hustled their butts off the whole series and the difference in the 2 teams approach to the games was stark in my view.......

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmetsrangers View Post
    I love Wright and i think it is great that he feels this way but i would rather see him lead by example on the field more.....Just a few games ago against the Nationals he loafed on a flyball along with Castillo.....

    Last night he missed a throw that would have nailed a runner at third and did not get back to 3rd base on a bunt that Santana got to and would have had a play on the runner, they need better execution on that play as it was the 2nd time recentlythis has happened......The worse play in my view however is getting doubled off 2nd last night on a line drive with 0 outs and where your run does not mean anything since the Mets were down by 2, it does not matter if he goes 1st to third there since Beltran would be the tying run....You simply cannot be doubled off in that situation.....

    It is fine to talk the talk but he must show it on the field and lead that way in my view......

    The entire team pretty much with the exception of Ryan Church just does not seem to have the fire in them......The Braves hustled their butts off the whole series and the difference in the 2 teams approach to the games was stark in my view.......

    FIRE WILLIE!!!!

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bayside NY
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Wright but imo he's way too young to be named captain. In my humble opinion he is saying these things not because he feels he needs to say them and that others will respect it, but because he thinks the fans want to hear him say them. There will come a time when Wright is mature enough to be a captain. This isn't it, and it certainly isn't the time for something like that with the team crashing and burning. Don't you know what happens to captains of sinking ships?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaysideSteve View Post
    I like Wright but imo he's way too young to be named captain. In my humble opinion he is saying these things not because he feels he needs to say them and that others will respect it, but because he thinks the fans want to hear him say them. There will come a time when Wright is mature enough to be a captain. This isn't it, and it certainly isn't the time for something like that with the team crashing and burning. Don't you know what happens to captains of sinking ships?

    i think he's saying it because he's genuinely disgusted. i'm pretty sure that at least some professional athletes take losing personally.

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bayside NY
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon View Post
    i think he's saying it because he's genuinely disgusted. i'm pretty sure that at least some professional athletes take losing personally.
    I'm not trying to say that he's not upset. I just think that he's not yet in a position where his say matters to the other team members so in the end, it's just whining. The unfortunate reality is that until Beltran and Delgado are gone, Wright can never be the team's leader. At least Delgado.

    I'm looking forward to Texiera next year maybe - then Wright may be able to overpower Castillo and Beltran's sour pusses.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaysideSteve View Post
    I'm not trying to say that he's not upset. I just think that he's not yet in a position where his say matters to the other team members so in the end, it's just whining. The unfortunate reality is that until Beltran and Delgado are gone, Wright can never be the team's leader. At least Delgado.

    I'm looking forward to Texiera next year maybe - then Wright may be able to overpower Castillo and Beltran's sour pusses.

    you think beltran is going anywhere? i doubt it.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaysideSteve View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that until Beltran and Delgado are gone, Wright can never be the team's leader. At least Delgado.
    Why do you say this? Delgado hardly sepaks and the only thing beltran has ever said was they they were the team to beat this year and that has hardly motivated the team. The fact is Wagner has been the only guy willing to put his neck out there during this disaster. I do think Wright needs a little more time to feel comfortable speaking out and having older players feel that he has something wirthwhile to say but I don't think it has anything to do with Beltran and Delgado.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us