Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johan Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    His trends would worry me a lot more if we had given up something of substantial value for him.

The length of the contract worries me personally(always did) but the team will cross that bridge when the time comes. I think he can make adjustments and remain and very good-great pitcher throughout the majority of the deal and thats all I can really ask for.

6 years/$137.5M is a substantial contract and Gomez is becoming a great player.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-23-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    But but but, remember he couldn't hit the ball out of the infield? All of a sudden he's becoming so great when it was only mets fans I recall singing that tune about how good he can become.

And again, the money doesn't bother me as long as he stays healthy because he will produce if healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    But but but, remember he couldn't hit the ball out of the infield? All of a sudden he's becoming so great when it was only mets fans I recall singing that tune about how good he can become.

And again, the money doesn't bother me as long as he stays healthy because he will produce if healthy.
    He's developing nicely. By the way, I had no idea he was 6-4. He's got the body frame to hit for power in the future.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    He's developing. By the way, I had no idea he was 6-4. He's got the body frame to hit for power in the future.
    50-50 man next season

I wish it was as simple as that. Has it ever crossed your mind the Yankees didn't want to pay Santana BIG MONEY and a long term deal for something he did with the Twins. Especially considering everything JWF has brought up in this thread.

Rubbish. Payroll has NEVER been a issue with the Yanks. They fell too in love with their prospects. Pointing out JWF's points are not valid at the time of the trade talks last winter. No-one was questioning Johan being dominant at that time. Not you, not JWF and not the Yankees. The same way Yank fans never uttered how Gomez would be a better player than Melky and the only success out of the prospects offered by either NY team so far.

Hypocrite. At the time of the trade "we stole Johan" was your constant banter.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Rubbish. Payroll has NEVER been a issue with the Yanks. They fell too in love with their prospects. Pointing out JWF's points are not valid at the time of the trade talks last winter. No-one was questioning Johan being dominant at that time. Not you, not JWF and not the Yankees. The same way Yank fans never uttered how Gomez would be a better player than Melky and the only success out of the prospects offered by either NY team so far.
    If you don't believe the Yankees have been making conscious decisions to reduce payroll in recent years, than there is no point for me to discuss this with you.

By the way, there HAS been whispers prior to this year, during the trade speculation, that Johan's stuff wasn't as good. Some of us even mentioned it on here, but really didn't think to much about it.

Hypocrite. At the time of the trade "we stole Johan" was your constant banter.
    You still hosed the Twins with the deal, but the contract is a separate issue.

You still hosed the Twins.
    True but if that's the way you feel the post I quoted by you is pure trolling on your part.

If you don't believe the Yankees have been making conscious decisions to reduce payroll in recent years, than there is no point for me to discuss this with you.

By the way, there HAS been whispers prior to this year, during the trade speculation, that Johan's stuff wasn't as good. Some of us even mentioned it on here, but really didn't think to much about it.
    Listen everyone "whispered" about his 2nd half last year and quickly dismissed it. Acting like anyone was on to something is garbage.

BTW , what will team payroll spend this coming off season on RF, 1B, and SP.
    You think they'll sign some 6 mill a year 1st Baseman or Right fielder?

You know the same team that while in this concious payroll reduction mode overpaid Mo and Posada both in years and dollars. You cant have it both ways sport.

True but if that's the way you feel the post I quoted by you is pure trolling on your part.
    Okay whatever you say.

OP was glad you didn't give up anything substantial... which isn't true. You hossed the Twins, but 6 years/$137.5M contract is substantial and Gomez is developing into a nice player.

I'm glad the Yankees didn't get him, sure he would be good for us in the short term, but he would end up being another bad move by the Yanks with high priced declining guys. Santana against the Yankees was 89-90 basically the whole game when I was watching. I remember watching him in the past, he use to be 92-95 the whole game. Hes still good, but clearly not the best pitcher anymore. He is way overpaid.

Exactly, the Yankees didn't want to give the farm away for a guy that would only be a short term solution. His skills are declining, everyone in the baseball world knows it. The Yankees rather go through the growing pains of Kennedy and Hughes now, and have a future set up, rather then just be good for now.

Buster Olney was on Kay’s show.

A few more Santana stats he threw out:

Since the start of 2007 Santana has given up more home runs than any other pitcher in baseball.

Since that 17 strikeout game last year santana has thrown 110 innings and given up 20 home runs (it may not have been exactly 110 - but approximately).

Buster Olney was on Kay’s show.

A few more Santana stats he threw out:

Since the start of 2007 Santana has given up more home runs than any other pitcher in baseball.

Since that 17 strikeout game last year santana has thrown 110 innings and given up 20 home runs (it may not have been exactly 110 - but approximately).

How did Beckett fair after getting killed via the long ball in 2006 and picthing to the tune of a 5 ERA?

How did Beckett fair after getting killed via the long ball in 2006 and picthing to the tune of a 5 ERA?
    This is 2 years now that Santana has been snake bitten by the long ball. Beckett had to adjust to the AL, what is Santana excuse?

Since this thread turned in to a Mets/Yanks argument, let me throw this out there from the Sports Guy...
    Pop quiz: Explain the significance behind "22 innings pitched, 47 baserunners, eight home runs, zero wins, four losses, 9.00 ERA."

(I'll give you a second.)

(And ... time!)

Yup, those are the 2008 stats for Phil Hughes.

(Did you know the Yankees refused to include him in a deal for Johan Santana? No, really! I swear to God!)

All kidding aside, Mets have more problems than Santana right now. I'm not worried about him, he has been good but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets N Mets View Post
    Since this thread turned in to a Mets/Yanks argument, let me throw this out there from the Sports Guy...
    Pop quiz: Explain the significance behind "22 innings pitched, 47 baserunners, eight home runs, zero wins, four losses, 9.00 ERA."

(I'll give you a second.)

(And ... time!)

Yup, those are the 2008 stats for Phil Hughes.

(Did you know the Yankees refused to include him in a deal for Johan Santana? No, really! I swear to God!)

All kidding aside, Mets have more problems than Santana right now. I'm not worried about him, he has been good but not great.
    chad101 turned this into a Yankees vs. Mets thread.

Does that surprise you?

This is 2 years now that Santana has been snake bitten by the long ball. Beckett had to adjust to the AL, what is Santana excuse?

Theres is no excuse. Trying to write Johan off based on a 17 game span is your job not mine. Barring a injury I look forward to you bumping this thread as often as the Melky HR thread. That one seems to have withered away as I suspect this one will.

chad101 turned this into a Yankees vs. Mets thread.

Does that surprise you?

Actually I was pointing out how Johan has gone from the NL CY in your opinion to being done. Same as Gomez has gone from a bum prospect to now a really nice player.