Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of pressure on Santana tonight

Lots of pressure on Santana tonight

I would think he has to have a big game tonight. It's probably unfair pressure, but it's there... The team has been bad, you need a win, this is the game an ace should lock down for his struggling team.

Would you agree?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-27-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think its a big game for everyone, and to put it all on Santana is a bit unfair, but yes, this is a game where you need your ace to step up.

He doesn't need a "big" game. The team needs to hit field and give him run support. If Johan pitches as he has all year that should be enough if the team hits and plays defense.

That said, a 2 hit shutout would greatly help. Don't let Uggla beat you tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    He doesn't need a "big" game. The team needs to hit field and give him run support. If Johan pitches as he has all year that should be enough if the team hits and plays defense.

That said, a 2 hit shutout would greatly help. Don't let Uggla beat you tonight.
    I agree 100%, but you know how MOST fans are. If Santana gives up 3 ER in 6-7 IP (quality to more than quality start) and the Mets lose 3-2, they will blame the starting pitcher, especially if he gives those runs late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I would think he has to have a big game tonight. It's probably unfair pressure, but it's there... The team has been bad, you need a win, this is the game an ace should lock down for his struggling team.

Would you agree?
    Same as last Thursday after three straight L to the Braves

I agree 100%, but you know how MOST fans are. If Santana gives up 3 ER in 6-7 IP (quality to more than quality start) and the Mets lose 3-2, they will blame the starting pitcher, especially if he gives those runs late in the game.

Sure. It's the same fans calling WFAN today and saying Beltran is not a big game player. Once I saw Mariano booed nothing else will ever suprise me fanbase wise. You going to tune into Kershaw-Maine this week?

Sure. It's the same fans calling WFAN today and saying Beltran is not a big game player. Once I saw Mariano booed nothing else will ever suprise me fanbase wise. You going to tune into Kershaw-Maine this week?
    Defiantly, what day? I'll be at the Yankee game on friday, so hopefully its earlier in the week.

We need a 7 inning, 10K performance today. Weather is nice, no excuses but for him to pitch us to a W.

Defiantly, what day? I'll be at the Yankee game on friday, so hopefully its earlier in the week.
    Nah it's Friday at Shea.

Nah it's Friday at Shea.
    Actually, it doesn't matter, I think the game I'm going to is 2 Friday's away, that should be a good pitching match up.

Easley at 1B tonight against a lefty.
    Evans in LF and Tatis in RF.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Easley at 1B tonight against a lefty.
    Evans in LF and Tatis in RF.
    5-9 is a complete joke without Church and Alou. It was a joke with them so imagine.

Edit: Thank God for 5-9
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-27-2008 at 07:31 PM.

All League

Would you agree?
    That's what an ace is supposed to do.

It's as close to a regular season must-win game as you can get.

Thankfully, Johan is looking pretty good tonight (Knocks on Wood). A little too many baserunners for my taste, but he's been able to work his way through any jams he's gotten into.

Hall Of Fame
    WTF Reyes? 8th error of the season, unreal....

Santana:7IP, 8H, 3ER, 2BB, 7SO, 1HR.

Not bad from him. More strikeouts are good. Still a lot of hits and a HR,though.....

Quote Originally Posted by KellenIsTheFuture View Post
    WTF Reyes? 8th error of the season, unreal....

Santana:7IP, 8H, 3ER, 2BB, 7SO, 1HR.

Not bad from him. More strikeouts are good. Still a lot of hits and a HR,though.....
    Sloppy play from Reyes, but I don't think the error was justified. He wasn't going to beat the runner to 1st anyways.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Sloppy play from Reyes, but I don't think the error was justified. He wasn't going to beat the runner to 1st anyways.
    Maybe, but Reyes has made so many miscues this season....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Looked like an error to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Looked like an error to me.
    My point was the bobble was irrelevant as the runner would have beaten it out. Obviously he shouldn't have bobbled the ball though.

Hall Of Fame
    Shrek!

Nice insurance run.

BTW, good acting job on Tatis' part.