Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Jose Tabata disiplined again.

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Jose Tabata disiplined again.

    Tabata better get his **** together. Apparently he was dogging it in the outfield. If this type of crap happens again I'd send his ass to Class A, and make him start over. Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero have passed him as the top position prospects in my view.


    http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...from_game.html

    Thunder RF Tabata disciplined again

    by John Nalbone
    Thursday May 29, 2008, 8:56 PM

    TRENTON - Thunder right fielder Jose Tabata was yanked from tonight's game against visiting New Hampshire in the fifth inning for unspecified disciplinary reasons.

    Suspended three games by the Yankees for leaving Waterfront Park following an April 26 strikeout that dropped his batting average below .200, Tabata was expelled from the dugout and was seen sitting in front of his locker as the Fisher Cats grabbed a 4-3 lead in the eighth inning on a two-run home run by Aaron Mathews.

    The Thunder (34-19) eventually won the game, 7-4, by scoring three times in the bottom of the eighth to avoid a four-game sweep at the hands of the Fisher Cats (19-33).

    Manager Tony Franklin refused to address the specifics as to why the 19-year-old Tabata was pulled and sent back to the clubhouse.

    "We had an in-house issue we needed to deal with. Don't ask me what it is because I'm not telling you,'' a visibly irritated Franklin said. "We're very pleased with the way he is playing. He is playing hard. But there are certain standards that need to be met within this organization and with this team, and when those standards are not met we take action. It's our job to make sure these players know what they are supposed to do at all times out there.''

    Franklin did not rule out further discipline for Tabata, who was 0-for-2 before being removed.

    "We'll decide on that later,'' Franklin said. "We'll bring him in, talk to him and explain what we want to see him do and how we'd like to see him go about it.''

    It is not yet known whether Tabata will accompany the team to New Britain, Conn., where the Thunder will begin a six-game road trip tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-30-2008 at 12:12 AM.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    nah, no way do you send him to A. He's 19 years old and he's acting like one. In the long run, not a big deal. The discipline is good and necessary, but sending him to A ball does nobody any good. At this point Tabata will be a 19 year old kid at A, AA, or AAA. Going down to A and being amongst even younger kids will do no good and it will hurt his progression as a hitter.

    I think he's most likely frustrated at his performance this season. He's been the stud his entire life and has had a difficult season so far. But he's been really hitting well the last 20-30 games, but again, 19 year olds aren't known for patience. I would expect by age 21 he will be a different person. He needs to continue to face the challenge of AA pitching. It would be nice if someone in Trenton could become a mentor of sorts

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Yankee fan, you can't like this at all. He's not producing at all in AA and he's having attitude problems. Both are very explainable given his age, but it's not a good sign. Personally, I'm not going to count on him to give us anything and whatever he does I'll consider gravy. I wouldn't have had a problem trading him last offseason (and I would have had a problem trading Jackson), and I won't have a problem trading him now, although I would hate doing it when his trade value is so low.

    By the way, he is only 19. To me, that shows what Melky did, at the age of 21, much more impressive. Of course, he's got to start picking it up again.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Monmouth County
    Posts
    2,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    By the way, he is only 19. To me, that shows what Melky did, at the age of 21, much more impressive. Of course, he's got to start picking it up again.
    He is showing signs of turning the corner.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    As a Yankee fan, you can't like this at all. He's not producing at all in AA and he's having attitude problems. Both are very explainable given his age, but it's not a good sign. Personally, I'm not going to count on him to give us anything and whatever he does I'll consider gravy. I wouldn't have had a problem trading him last offseason (and I would have had a problem trading Jackson), and I won't have a problem trading him now, although I would hate doing it when his trade value is so low.

    By the way, he is only 19. To me, that shows what Melky did, at the age of 21, much more impressive. Of course, he's got to start picking it up again.
    What do you know about Tabata's trade value Mr GM?

    This crap is laughable. He had a bad April, first month in AA as a teenager. A solid May, all this coming after hamate surgery. What the hell do you people want? Yeah, he's a kid with an attitude....i think he's got time to grow up.
    Jesus Christ, lighten up...what did you honestly expect? Did you think he'd be hitting .300 with 10 HR at this point. He is an advanced hitter at this point, not a slugger, but a hitter. I don't doubt the power will come, I give his power a pass this season, coming off the surgery. I am not concerned that he isn't a grown up at this point. Would be nice, but it is what it is.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    What do you know about Tabata's trade value Mr GM?

    This crap is laughable. He had a bad April, first month in AA as a teenager. A solid May, all this coming after hamate surgery. What the hell do you people want? Yeah, he's a kid with an attitude....i think he's got time to grow up.
    Jesus Christ, lighten up...what did you honestly expect? Did you think he'd be hitting .300 with 10 HR at this point. He is an advanced hitter at this point, not a slugger, but a hitter. I don't doubt the power will come, I give his power a pass this season, coming off the surgery. I am not concerned that he isn't a grown up at this point. Would be nice, but it is what it is.
    I know nothing of his trade value, but I can guess.

    Was I harsh? Without a doubt. But to answer your question, I expected more than what he has done this year. Believe me, I'm usually very positive with prospects, but thoughts of Eric Duncan scare me. I have never wanted to be more wrong than I am now.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I know nothing of his trade value, but I can guess.

    Was I harsh? Without a doubt. But to answer your question, I expected more than what he has done this year. Believe me, I'm usually very positive with prospects, but thoughts of Eric Duncan scare me. I have never wanted to be more wrong than I am now.
    Eric Duncan. I actually still want him to be a late bloomer. The dude seems like he has to be 30...yet 23. I don't think he'll be a bloomer, but damn, it seems like i've known him forever. But, having seen him, he is not impressive. He doesn't have a great swing and not much of an eye. He looks every bit a career minor leaguer or a Washington National...

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    Eric Duncan. I actually still want him to be a late bloomer. The dude seems like he has to be 30...yet 23. I don't think he'll be a bloomer, but damn, it seems like i've known him forever. But, having seen him, he is not impressive. He doesn't have a great swing and not much of an eye. He looks every bit a career minor leaguer or a Washington National...
    Being that Ryan Zimmerman and Nick Johnson (<3) are holding down the 2 poistions Duncan can play, I doubt Duncan would make it out of the Nationals system.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Being that Ryan Zimmerman and Nick Johnson (<3) are holding down the 2 poistions Duncan can play, I doubt Duncan would make it out of the Nationals system.
    Nick definitely knows how to draw a walk, can't do much more than that, but he does possess plate discipline

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    Nick definitely knows how to draw a walk, can't do much more than that, but he does possess plate discipline
    Nick used to have a nice glove, but I haven't seen him pitch in ages. As much as I hate to admit it (I was opposed to trading Johnson and signing Giambi) Giambi has outproduced Johnson over that period of time.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,641
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maury420 View Post
    Nick used to have a nice glove, but I haven't seen him pitch in ages. As much as I hate to admit it (I was opposed to trading Johnson and signing Giambi) Giambi has outproduced Johnson over that period of time.
    Yeah he had a great curveball.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maury420 View Post
    Nick used to have a nice glove, but I haven't seen him pitch in ages. As much as I hate to admit it (I was opposed to trading Johnson and signing Giambi) Giambi has outproduced Johnson over that period of time.
    Nick Johnson has also made $12.1 million in career earnings, Giambi makes that in 2/3 of a season.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us