Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whos should the mets draft June 5th?

Veteran

Whos should the mets draft June 5th?

I think were pickin #18, #22, and #33.

Those are 3 in the top 33, we have to get one of those correct. LOL

Thought?

1st base...2nd base...pitching

those are our biggest needs.

I don't really lean one way or another position wise.

Just get some good players.

We should try to land a Catcher, 1st Baseman or 2nd Baseman and Pitching

Drafting for need is the kiss of death. Best player available... no matter what

All League
    Drafting for need is questionable in football, to do it in baseball is asinine. Best player available at all spots.

Practice Squad
    Pitching with all three picks, assuming a highly rated position player dosn't drop. Other positions are easily filled through free agency.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets4life335 View Post
    We should try to land a Catcher, 1st Baseman or 2nd Baseman and Pitching
    we have francisco pena as our fuure catcher in mid-A.

Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    we have francisco pena as our fuure catcher in mid-A.
    He's hardly shown enough to prevent us from drafting another catcher. .259/.287/.361 in A ball isn't a line to be overly excited about. It's not bad persay for an 18 year old in Professional Baseball, but nothing that proves he's a cant-miss prospect either.

If you term a Catcher as best available, you take him and worst case scenario is you have 2 good Catcher Prospects and can deal one like Atlanta ended up doing with Saltalamacchia.

All Pro
    More college relievers

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    He's hardly shown enough to prevent us from drafting another catcher. .259/.287/.361 in A ball isn't a line to be overly excited about. It's not bad persay for an 18 year old in Professional Baseball, but nothing that proves he's a cant-miss prospect either.

If you term a Catcher as best available, you take him and worst case scenario is you have 2 good Catcher Prospects and can deal one like Atlanta ended up doing with Saltalamacchia.
    True; but i want pitchers, the more the better, and at 18,22 and 33 you can get guys like Phil Hughes/ Jona Chamberlain. Mike Pelfreys needs more young pitchers, so that he doesnt feel the pressure of being our best young pitcher, and we dont know what we have in Jon Niese yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    More college relievers
    Daniel Schlereth. If he's still available they should get him. Great reliever from the U of Arizona. Some scouts have said he's the most major league ready pitcher in the draft. And yes, he's Marc Schlereth's son.

True; but i want pitchers, the more the better, and at 18,22 and 33 you can get guys like Phil Hughes/ Jona Chamberlain. Mike Pelfreys needs more young pitchers, so that he doesnt feel the pressure of being our best young pitcher, and we dont know what we have in Jon Niese yet.
    Really, our system could use just about anything. I wouldn't be disapointed if we took 3 young hitters with our early picks because you know you'll have a Damn Good Offense down the line then if we scouted well. Vice versa with Pitchers. Just take the best players.

If the Mets again refuse to go “over slot” they will miss a terrific opportunity to re-stock their farm system.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If the Mets again refuse to go “over slot” they will miss a terrific opportunity to re-stock their farm system.
    whats over-slot? like they over rank a player?? and I dont want hitters, for hitters we can get latin players; they tend to become better hitters.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Daniel Schlereth. If he's still available they should get him. Great reliever from the U of Arizona. Some scouts have said he's the most major league ready pitcher in the draft. And yes, he's Marc Schlereth's son.
    I like him alot too maybe w/ the 33rd pick; i dont think hell go that high becasue of how small he is.

whats over-slot? like they over rank a player?? and I dont want hitters, for hitters we can get latin players; they tend to become better hitters.
    It's when you pay your draft pick more money than MLB says you should based on where said draftee was selected. Basically drafting high ceiling prospects, then do whatever needs to be done to assure they sign and stay in the organization, an area the Yankees like to flex their financial muscles.

This is something Mike and Mad Dog know absolutely nothing about. Which explains why they always bring up where Joba was drafted (Not a 1st rounder) when talking about his talent before becoming a reliever. MLB Draft is not the NFL Draft. The best talent doesn't always go in the 1st round, or first day for that matter.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-01-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Hopefuly we get anothre one of those potential top 5 guys at 18 that other teams dont want to pay....seems to happen every year that a guy like that falls into the teens.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It's when you pay your draft pick more money than MLB says you should based on where said draftee was selected. Basically drafting high ceiling prospects, then do whatever needs to be done to assure they sign and stay in the organization, an area the Yankees like to flex their financial muscles.

This is something Mike and Mad Dog know absolutely nothing about. Which explains why they always bring up where Joba was drafted (Not a 1st rounder) when talking about his talent before becoming a reliever. MLB Draft is not the NFL Draft. The best talent doesn't always go in the 1st round, or first day for that matter.
    isnt that what we tried to do w/ Pedro Beato in 06, and we lost him bc he wanted top 5 money when he was a teen round draftee.