Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whos should the mets draft June 5th?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    isnt that what we tried to do w/ Pedro Beato in 06, and we lost him bc he wanted top 5 money when he was a teen round draftee.
    Yeah, I believe so. Pretty sure you guys lucked out on that anyways. You have to have the money, but if you don't have good scouting you'll have Drew Henson.. LOL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    isnt that what we tried to do w/ Pedro Beato in 06, and we lost him bc he wanted top 5 money when he was a teen round draftee.
    Yeah he wanted overslot money and the Mets let him go back into the draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Yeah he wanted overslot money and the Mets let him go back into the draft.
    we shlda gvn it 2 him, hes in mid-A for the orioles

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
    FRD CAR 3 2 3.89 7 7 0 0 0 34.2 34 16 15 2 10 16 1.13 .264

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It's when you pay your draft pick more money than MLB says you should based on where said draftee was selected. Basically drafting high ceiling prospects, then do whatever needs to be done to assure they sign and stay in the organization, an area the Yankees like to flex their financial muscles.

This is something Mike and Mad Dog know absolutely nothing about. Which explains why they always bring up where Joba was drafted (Not a 1st rounder) when talking about his talent before becoming a reliever. MLB Draft is not the NFL Draft. The best talent doesn't always go in the 1st round, or first day for that matter.
    QFT.

Why the Mets refuse to pay over slot money is beyond me. Last year the Tigers got Rick Porcello with the 27th pick because they were willing to drop some coin on him.

Pedro Alvarez, who is the highest rated bat since Alex Gordon, may drop to 4th because he has Scott Boras as an agent.

There could very easily be a top rated player drop to the Mets because of signability issues. I really hope they pull the trigger.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    QFT.

Why the Mets refuse to pay over slot money is beyond me. Last year the Tigers got Rick Porcello with the 27th pick because they were willing to drop some coin on him.

Pedro Alvarez, who is the highest rated bat since Alex Gordon, may drop to 4th because he has Scott Boras as an agent.

There could very easily be a top rated player drop to the Mets because of signability issues. I really hope they pull the trigger.
    The Mets not spending overslot is a bit exaggerated. The Mets gave Pelfrey 3.5 million as the 9th pick to sign. They gave Kazmir 2.15 million as the 15th pick to sign. They gave Milledge 2.075 million as the 12th pick to sign. Those would all be players that fell, mainly because of signability (Although Milledge also had some off-field baggage that helped).

What they haven't done is go way outside of the system (Such as offering 2-3x slot money) like some teams will, or carry their willingness to spend extra past the first round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    we shlda gvn it 2 him, hes in mid-A for the orioles

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
    FRD CAR 3 2 3.89 7 7 0 0 0 34.2 34 16 15 2 10 16 1.13 .264
    I'm generally not impressed with people who cannot strike batters out in the low levels of the minors. If you can't strike an A+ ball hitter out, what chance do you have against an MLB hitter? I'll make an exception for extreme groundballers but that's not the case either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN--

Minaya says the Mets will abide by only one edict when choosing between college or high school candidates, and deciding whether to pursue pitchers or position players: This time around, the GM said, "we're going after the best available players. That's going to come first."