Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2008 MLB Amateur Draft (Thursday-Friday)

Hey Venom I thought over slotting was dead?

The Neiuenhuis pick is interesting, small school guy, but he had an OBP of .496 and apparently has Batting Practice Power but hasn't figured out how to quite transfer that over to game situations (10 HR in 218 AB), a little less then you'd think from an OF prospect. Strong Armed, used to pitch. Could be a small school sleeper.

Not crazy over this Ratliff guy though, his scouting report screams AAAA slugger. Lots of swings in misses in College (1 in 3 AB was a K), but has power and lots of it. Will be interesting to see if they can teach him how to hit for contact. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Hey Venom I thought over slotting was dead?
    It pretty much is, worst crop of "Overslotters" yet.

Mets select Charles Doyle C Coastal Carolina U

Another small school kid.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2571617]SD Here is a great write up from Baseball America comparing Georigia closer Josh Field to Scott Bittle.

Pitching from the cutter first is a weird approach, but its the Mariano Rivera approach. Of course, the pitch is not nearly as hard as Mo's, but still...

The Corban pick continues the focus on positional prospects. Dude is turning 20 and still in HS though, WTF?

[QUOTE=SDJETS;2571651]
    SD Here is a great write up from Baseball America comparing Georigia closer Josh Field to Scott Bittle.

Pitching from the cutter first is a weird approach, but its the Mariano Rivera approach. Of course, the pitch is not nearly as hard as Mo's, but still...

The Corban pick continues the focus on positional prospects. Dude is turning 20 and still in HS though, WTF?
    Where did u get that from?

Dock Doyle is a finalist along with Buster Posey and Jason Castro for the Johnny Bench award.

Yankees select Christopher Smith LF Centennial HS

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Dock Doyle is a finalist along with Buster Posey and Jason Castro for the Johnny Bench award.
    Not bad but this was a thin draft class when it came to catchers.

"The top catching prospect in the state is lefthanded-hitting Dock Doyle from Coastal Carolina. Athletic behind the plate, Doyle has tools that should play at the professional level. He has an average arm and good receiving mechanics. At the plate, Doyle led the Chanticleers with a .365 average and hit 16 home runs."

Not bad numbers.....good plate disclipline (27 BB : 26 K) in 235 AB.

A catcher with a pulse, Seems interesting enough for me.

Just got home from work, i think the mets did well to get some quality hitters in the draft....any thoughts on day one?

BA
    The Yankees took Chris Smith of Compton’s Centennial High, a lefthanded hitter who batted better than .700 this spring. He’s a lefthanded hitter with good "now" hitting tools whose best tool is his bat.

Compton High?

Apparently he had the highest high school batting average in the country...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/vars...ll-number.html

MLB radio mentioned that he's another product of the MLB academy in Compton. FWIW, Kevin Brown donated millions to help build the academy...

Kenny Williams just drafted himself. Hahaha

Corban Joseph is committed to Kentucky and Chris Smith is committed to USC.

Release the money Cash!

Tim Beckham + Fight in One Day = Awesome.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2571654]
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post

Where did u get that from?
    I'm sorry, where did I get what?

Mets select Joshua Satin 2B UC Berkeley

SATIN!

[QUOTE=SDJETS;2571706]

I'm sorry, where did I get what?
    Joseph age.. but yeah born October 26th 1988.