Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Yankees need a shake up.

The Yankees need a shake up.

I have some ideas, but I don't have all the answers.

First of all. I would DFA Jason Giambi. I would call up Brett Gardner.

Why doesn't this team run? We have players on this team that have equal to better speed than Jonny Gomez. He put his team in the position to win, what do we do when we get on? Just stand their. Do something Girardi!
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 05-13-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Sometimes I wish I was like my friends who don't give a crap about sports. When the Yankees and Jets lose my day/week is ruined!

I'm all for Giambi being DFA and calling up Gardner. He could really make some things happen up here if we find a way to squeeze him in the lineup.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Sometimes I wish I was like my friends who don't give a crap about sports. When the Yankees and Jets lose my day/week is ruined!
    I'm with you there man, me and one of my friends sat and shaked our heads at the bar tonight for like 15 minutes after the game. And everyone was like whats the matter?

The Giambi DFA move is a pretty juristic one, I'm indifferent about it. I hope it would work, but my worst fear is anothing team picking him up and finding a gem in him. I'm the same way with fantasy. I've held on to Rollins, Cano, Haffner, Granderson through there struggles. Just expect them to pan out.

But for real, Giambi looked golden during Spring Training. I expected him to have a great year this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    100% behind these ideas.

Except not being a sports fan. That's just silly.

It's not like you haven't seen this team win multiple championships.

Too late for a shake-up that will save this year for them...it should've happened in the off season, but they had to give Posada a lifetime achievment 4yr award, they resigned Arod, & they didn't make the Santana trade..that along, the albatross of brilliant free agent signings like Damon, Giambi & Abreu hanging around their necks basically cooked this team before game 1. The over/under in Vegas for Yankee wins this year was 94. That under bet, fellas...is what's known as free money.

I'm not sure DFA'ing Giambi is necessairily a smart move. Even at his declined state he still gets On Base at a decent percentage and hits for Power. He has some value for the team. Moreso then an Morgan Ensberg, for example. I guess perhaps DFA'ing Giambi could be seen as a statement move by the team, but it wouldn't be a case of making a move because he's not one of your Top 25 players because he likely still is.

What should happen though is that they should bring up Gardner and they should give Shelley Duncan more of an increased role on the team. While Duncan's numbers haven't been impressive so far, I think it's because he needs more playing time. I don't see what Gomes offers that Duncan can't, perhaps a little more speed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I'm not sure DFA'ing Giambi is necessairily a smart move. Even at his declined state he still gets On Base at a decent percentage and hits for Power. He has some value for the team. Moreso then an Morgan Ensberg, for example. I guess perhaps DFA'ing Giambi could be seen as a statement move by the team, but it wouldn't be a case of making a move because he's not one of your Top 25 players because he likely still is.

What should happen though is that they should bring up Gardner and they should give Shelley Duncan more of an increased role on the team. While Duncan's numbers haven't been impressive so far, I think it's because he needs more playing time. I don't see what Gomes offers that Duncan can't, perhaps a little more speed.
    Why does everyone harp on Giambi's walks? So what, he walks a lot. That's useful when you also get HITS. You can argue that he would have a great OBP if he had a higher BA. But guess what? He doesn't. And he won't.

Besides, I talked about this all last year. What's the point of getting him on base? It still takes three more hits to get him to score. He's slower than my grandmother. I'm tired of station-to-staion baseball. We already have Posada and Matsui as your slow run-producers. No room for a third in here.

You need a diverse offense that can hit for power in some spots, and generate runs in others. Get on. Steal a base. Bunt him to third. Sac fly. Simple. All it takes is a little speed.

All that on top of the fact that Giambi is a complete negative in the field. A decent first baseman makes a play on that leadoff single last night in the 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Too late for a shake-up that will save this year for them...it should've happened in the off season, but they had to give Posada a lifetime achievment 4yr award, they resigned Arod, & they didn't make the Santana trade..that along, the albatross of brilliant free agent signings like Damon, Giambi & Abreu hanging around their necks basically cooked this team before game 1. The over/under in Vegas for Yankee wins this year was 94. That under bet, fellas...is what's known as free money.
    How was Posada given a lifetime achievement award with that 4 year deal? The guy was coming off a career year. He could have got similar money from other teams. And you're complaining about re-signing A-Rod. Did you not watch a game last year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    How was Posada given a lifetime achievement award with that 4 year deal? The guy was coming off a career year. He could have got similar money from other teams. And you're complaining about re-signing A-Rod. Did you not watch a game last year?
    Don't bother with this guy. You're wasting your time.

True but the Yanks would have saved in years(at least one) and salary had they taken care of Posada last spring as they should of. Posada 4 years or even 3 from now at that salary is not something I would gamble on being a success.

I think post All-Star break a deal for Nick Johnson would make a lot of sense for this team. I also think they go after whatever top SP that becomes available from a non-contender.
    Last edited by chad101; 05-14-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Hey Guido- Why don't you & your buddy Tyler compile a list of catchers that have continued to perform at a high level after the age of 35. That was my point on Posada. As for Arod, he had another great regular season, another sh*tty post season, then opted out of his contract....Hank talks tough, then of course takes him back & puts him back on the payroll. The Yankees suck right now because of the team management built- it's too late for this year bubba

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Please stop posting. You are making the decent Mets fans here look bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Please stop posting. You are making the decent Mets fans here look bad.
    bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Why does everyone harp on Giambi's walks? So what, he walks a lot. That's useful when you also get HITS. You can argue that he would have a great OBP if he had a higher BA. But guess what? He doesn't. And he won't.

Besides, I talked about this all last year. What's the point of getting him on base? It still takes three more hits to get him to score. He's slower than my grandmother. I'm tired of station-to-staion baseball. We already have Posada and Matsui as your slow run-producers. No room for a third in here.

You need a diverse offense that can hit for power in some spots, and generate runs in others. Get on. Steal a base. Bunt him to third. Sac fly. Simple. All it takes is a little speed.

All that on top of the fact that Giambi is a complete negative in the field. A decent first baseman makes a play on that leadoff single last night in the 11th.
    Agreed. I don't care how much this guy walks. I'm tired of having a 1B who hits under .200, gets about 4 singles per month, and is a liability in the field. I think those negatives outweigh the one positive that he brings to the table which is OBP/BB's.

All Pro
    Agreed. I don't care how much this guy walks. I'm tired of having a 1B who hits under .200, gets about 4 singles per month, and is a liability in the field. I think those negatives outweigh the one positive that he brings to the table which is OBP/BB's.
    You know, for a lot less money the Yanks could pull a Bill Veeck and just hire a circus midget to do Giambi's job.

He would be about the same in the field, hit a few less homers, but walk more, and would run better.

1. DFA'ing Giambi and calling up Gardner would make our offense worse.

2. If you asked yourself who were the two offensive players that are most important to the team it would be A-Rod and Posada. It's not that close to the 3rd. The team doesn't need a shakeup, they need those two guys to get back.

No, it's useful no matter what you do. It's useful because if you walk you aren't making an out. In fact, whether or not one hits has nothing to do with the usefulness of if one walks.

What's the point of him getting on base... Well if he doesn't get on base he makes an out. If he makes an out that makes an easier inning for the opposing pitcher. If that makes an easier inning for the opposing pitcher, you don't get to the bullpen as fast. If you don't get to the bullpen as fast, your offense just isn't as good. Other than that, obviously if a guys on base he can score a run. And, this year, we've actually seen Giambi go first to third a few times. But either way, getting on base has been proven to be most correlated with scoring runs. Giambi, for the record, has not gotten on base enough this year.

You need an offense that doesn't have the backup catcher and the backup third baseman that are automatic outs when they are replacing the best offensive players at their respective positions.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    2. If you asked yourself who were the two offensive players that are most important to the team it would be A-Rod and Posada. It's not that close to the 3rd. The team doesn't need a shakeup, they need those two guys to get back.
    Obviously, A-Rod is the most important offensive player for this team hands down. But, I think you can make a case that guys like Cano, Matsui, Abreu could be equally as important to this offense as Posada. We saw how bad this team started last year and Cano and Abreu were awful at the plate during the first couple months. That being said, we still need Posada back asap.

Jets Insider VIP
    JWF, I think you're missing my point. Walks are fine and dandy, but they are only a part of the OBP equation. Hits count as much. That's fundamental. I think even our resident morons know that. Giambi gets a bunch of walks, and few hits.

Giambi with his .198 BA has a .350 OBP. Gardner has a .380 OBP at SWB. You're telling me Gardner can't get on base almost as well as (if not better than) Giambi?

Plus add defense, speed, and some energy to this team? Giambi's ONLY positive attribute is getting on base. And he's not doing it on a high enough level right now to justify his suckiness is all other aspects of the game.

You quote "If he doesn't get on base, he makes an out". Why is that the only alternative? Why can't he be replaced in the lineup with someone else that can also get on base, and then actually do something while he's on the bathpaths? Are you really going to try to tell me that having Giambi on first is equivalent to having Garnder on?

What is your obsession with Jason? He's completely useless.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 05-15-2008 at 10:26 AM.