Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: The Happening (movie)

Jets Insider VIP

OT: The Happening (movie)

After a couple of letdowns, does M. Night get back to making really good movies? The Happening has only recently started to be advertised. I think the marketing effort has been low key on purpose following a few letdowns. Expectations have been high for every movie sense the Sixth Sense.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwccFTJIdo[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Millions of Americans apparently disagree, but I think Shyamalan is a complete hack. I've never liked a single one of his movies (no, not even [I]Sixth Sense[/I]).

What really bothers me is that he's not a bad filmmaker; his use of lighting, sound, and shot placement are all very good. Of course, that just makes it even more infuriating when he springs yet another idiotic "surprise" ending on you. "ZOMG THEIR ALLERGIC TO WATER!!!" Really? As in, the vapor that fills our atmosphere, falls out of the sky, runs through our drains and pipes, and provides life to the entire planet? Really? Asshat. I hope he drowns in quicksand.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh, and as for [I]The Happening[/I]: I actually like Marky Mark as an actor, and the trailer looks great...but so did the trailers for all his other movies. Pass.

I don't know.....I mean, I did like the Sixth Sense a lot, as many people did...

You had some great performances (Willis/Osment/Collette) and anyone who claims they knew the ending before they saw it is lying through their teeth...

I did like Unbreakable, even though it moved rather slowly....

I thought Signs had what I consider the greatest acting job Mel Gibson ever produced....but the ending was horrendous......

The Village was forgettable....

And I may be the only person on the planet who actually thought Lady in the Water was a decent flick....but that may be due to not only my unbelievable man-crush on Paul Giamati but also the low expectations I had for the film...

This movie looks like it has some downright creepy images...so I may be on board......and it may be the only other movie of his I will actually see in the theatre besides Sixth Sense

All Pro
    Its going to be so bad that it'll be funny

************SPOILERS*****************

There is a scene in the script in which Mark Wahlberg apologizes to a plant.

The 6th Sense and Signs were great films in my opinion. The only bad part about Signs was that HE was in the movie.

Jets Insider VIP
    Unbreakable was an excellent movie IMO. I think it was very underrated. I thought the entire superhero and comic book undertone went a lot deeper than most people picked up on and that was very cool.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2569959]Unbreakable was an excellent movie IMO. I think it was very underrated. I thought the entire superhero and comic book undertone went a lot deeper than most people picked up on and that was very cool.[/QUOTE]

Agreed...my problem is with the ending. It kinda makes the whole movie a red herring. I actually enjoyed it up until then, I thought Bruce Willis was great.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dbatesman;2569961]Agreed...my problem is with the ending. It kinda makes the whole movie a red herring. I actually enjoyed it up until then, I thought Bruce Willis was great.[/QUOTE]

I actually think Unbreakable was better than Signs and the Sixth Sense. I kind of agree on the ending but I still enjoyed it. I never really saw it coming....but maybe I was the only one.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-10-2008 at 03:12 PM.

His movie are all great, unique, and original ideas...on paper.

They don't actually translate into movies as well, but I will say that his talent for giving audiences the creeps is world class.

All Pro
    Unbreakable and The Sixth sense are the only ones I didn't dislike. Unbreakable was very good, and Willis was awesome in it. The Sixth Sensee had me speechless afterwards, one of the only movies to truly creep me the hell out.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Kotch;2578013]His movie are all great, unique, and original ideas...on paper.

They don't actually translate into movies as well, but I will say that his talent for giving audiences the creeps is world class.[/QUOTE]

Sixth Sense was great because it was the original and I thought it was very well done.

Signs gave me the creeps big time and the storyline, even with some unrealistic points, was entertaining. I actually like the tie-in to Mel Gibson's struggle with his religous beliefs and how everything may happen for a reason.

The Village....eh, it was okay and a good variation on how his movies usually turn out because there wasn't really anything supernatural going on in contrast to the others. But you only find this out in the end and I bet that Night enjoyed stringing people along.

Unbreakable was his best film IMO. I was captivated by the storyline, the sinister undertone to Samuel L. Jackson's character and simply the ordinary way that Willis seems to discover he's a superhero. No cape, no crazy flying stunts....it just seemed as though, IF there was a such thing as a superhero in the real world, this is very realistic way for one to manifest itself. Extremely cool! The scene in the kitchen when Willis nods to his son after his son sees the article in the newspaper about a hero rescuing the girl is simply fantastic. So much happening without them even saying a word.

Didn't see Lady in the Water after reading the reviews. Might actually rent or downloand sometime if anyone recommends it.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-11-2008 at 01:51 AM.

All Pro
    I read the twist for this movie on a spoiler site... It might be the stupidest twist he's come up with yet.

I'm avoiding this like the plague.

[QUOTE=Austin;2578131]I read the twist for this movie on a spoiler site... It might be the stupidest twist he's come up with yet.

I'm avoiding this like the plague.[/QUOTE]If you went on a site to read spoilers about this movie, then you had already decided not to watch it anyway...

[QUOTE=Austin;2578131]I read the twist for this movie on a spoiler site... It might be the stupidest twist he's come up with yet.

I'm avoiding this like the plague.[/QUOTE]

When I saw the bodies jumping off the building in the trailer, I thought the movie was about Chowd fans* after the Giants crushed them in the Superbowl.

someone told me about that -- i REALLY hope that's a "fake" spoiler, you know, to set people up and then actually suprise them. because if what i've heard is really the twist, this may well go down as the stupidest film idea of all time.

I probably read the same thing. If it's true -- awful, just awful.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2578232]I probably read the same thing. If it's true -- awful, just awful.[/QUOTE]

I think you should start a new thread ala your Cloverfield one.....

All Pro
    I posted the twist in the other thread, its not a twist you find out early in the movie.

Hall Of Fame
    Ugh, Im pretty sure we've all read the same spoilers.

Just incredibly dumb, if true.