Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: The Happening (movie)

[QUOTE=Fishooked;2578234]I think you should start a new thread ala your Cloverfield one.....[/QUOTE]

And I was right about that movie, wasn't I?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2578244]And I was right about that movie, wasn't I?[/QUOTE]

And completely wrong about Indiana Jones. I pray that you get attacked my a killer ostrich for recomending that to me.
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 06-10-2008 at 07:49 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2578250]And completely wrong about Indiana Jones. I pray that you get attacked my a killer ostrich for recomending that to me.[/QUOTE]

It was bad but it wasnt killer ostrich bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bay Ridge Jet;2578238]I posted the twist in the other thread, its not a twist you find out early in the movie.[/QUOTE]

It seems totally logical and like something Night would do, but a little underwhelming.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2578250]And completely wrong about Indiana Jones. I pray that you get attacked my a killer ostrich for recomending that to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that was a purely emotional enjoyment, I'm an Indy fanatic from way back.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2578322]Yeah, but that was a purely emotional enjoyment, I'm an Indy fanatic from way back.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6173/angryostrichww3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2578327][URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6173/angryostrichww3.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

amazing

:worship:

I liked Sixth Sense when I saw it, but it's been quite a while since I've seen it. I also thought Signs was a good movie, but I thought The Village sucked and Lady in the Water wasn't much better. I've never seen Unbreakable. All that considered, I still am intrigued by this movie and am hoping to go and see it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Looking forward to this MNS movie (please post no spoilers in threads before it even comes out!)

I really love his movies. Lady in the Lake and The Village are the weaker ones but I still enjoyed them. Thought Unbreakable was just brilliant! they just recently aired it a few times on USA channel. And I loved the whole Signs theme of questioning Coincidence or Divine....makes you think. Have to watch his movies a second time to catch everything-- it's like every action, every word is important and you miss things the first time around-- they're tightly woven stories.

btw, to the poster who didn't like one of his movies because he was in it.....he made an appearance in several of them

on another note, saw Indiana Jones.....gee it hasn't changed much since the first Indy movie huh?...didn't like it and I adored Spielberg hmmmm maybe just being older now I was disappointed or maybe just spoiled by Shyamalan's movies now :)
    Last edited by R. Tyme; 06-12-2008 at 11:18 AM.

All Pro
    I have to say I'm a fan of his as well. 6th Sense was great, not exactly going out on a limb there. I watched Unbreakable as if it was a comic book and thought it was incredible. Liked Signs but the lame water ending was a letdown. I guess I must have eaten too many paint chips as a kid, but I didn't really see the twist in the Village coming. Then again, I'm able to go to a movie and turn my brain off and not analyze much until after it's over. Didn't see Lady in the Water but heard it unbearably bad. The Happening looks really good though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just saw The Happening last night. Worse movie Night has ever made. It was far worse than Indiana Jones this Summer and I feel I'm now 0 for 2 on seeing movies this Summer. Only The Dark Night can save me now!

I won't spoil the movie (you can spoil your whole night just by going to see it) but it's just so bad I can't even describe it. Very disappointed.

Hall Of Fame
    as soon as I realized my honey pie Zooey was in the movie I decided I have to see it. How is she in the movie ?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=samwise;2583723]as soon as I realized my honey pie Zooey was in the movie I decided I have to see it. How is she in the movie ?[/QUOTE]

Eh, she's okay....very plain Jane and her character is a little odd. But that's the least of the movie's problems.

[IMG]http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/photos/thehappening/thehappening2.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2583718]Just saw The Happening last night. Worse movie Night has ever made. It was far worse than Indiana Jones this Summer and I feel I'm now 0 for 2 on seeing movies this Summer. Only The Dark Night can save me now!

I won't spoil the movie (you can spoil your whole night just by going to see it) but it's just so bad I can't even describe it. Very disappointed.[/QUOTE]

without giving away too much what was so bad about it? was the epedemic (or whatever it is) completely implausible? was it bad acting, bad dialog?

If you've seen it would you say it's similar to Stephen Kings Langoliers?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2583867]Eh, she's okay....very plain Jane and her character is a little odd. But that's the least of the movie's problems.

[IMG]http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/photos/thehappening/thehappening2.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

bummer to hear. she mesmerized me in bit parts in bridge to terabithia and elf (hey, I have to watch something during the kids DVD-a-thon around here :D)

All Pro
    [IMG]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6058/lombarditrophy5lr.gif[/IMG]
    this is the Jets intensions.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;2583943]without giving away too much what was so bad about it? was the epedemic (or whatever it is) completely implausible? was it bad acting, bad dialog?

If you've seen it would you say it's similar to Stephen Kings Langoliers?[/QUOTE]

The acting wasn't horrible but certainly wasn't Oscar worthy. The problem I have is that the entire story is better suited for a 30 minute Twilight Zone episode. You seem to find out rather early on in the movie what is happening and then, after that, there isn't really too much else. To me, there were really no big "Ah ha" moments or "gotchas" that made the story interesting or twisted the plot. Also, there is some rather gratuitous violence that was rather unncessary. It is probably used to try to emphasize how bad and horrible of an event is taking place but it just seemed somewhat unnecessary at times. The first or second time, okay, I understand there's some bad stuff happening but you don't really need to see all of these different blood scenes in my opinion....although I know some people love that stuff.

Just a big disappointment for me, I really wanted to like this movie. The Village was 10 times better than this and Sixth Sense seems like it was made by a completely different person.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-15-2008 at 01:37 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Two completely different reviews. This is the ONLY somewhat positive review of The Happening that I have found....and it's from a tree-hugger in Seattle so maybe that's why...

[url]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies/366824_happening13q.html[/url]

[B][I]"In a Hollywood summer otherwise dominated by comic-book superheroes, blazing action spectacles, snickering teen sex comedies and computer-generated fantasy, M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" is something different -- and a pleasant surprise...."[/I][/B]

And now a review that I'm more inclined to agree with after having seen the movie...

[url]http://www.filmcritic.com/misc/emporium.nsf/reviews/The-Happening[/url]

[I][B]"You know that co-worker that comes in after a long, uneventful weekend and insists upon telling you every dull detail of his equally uninteresting escapades? You know he thinks he's captivating, with a great story to tell, but you'd rather shove something sharp into your ears than listen to another minute of his banal ramblings? That's a lot like The Happening, one of the worst attempts at end-of-the-world ominousness since the Robot Holocaust battled the Ninja Apocalypse (and yes -- those are both actual movies)..."[/B][/I]

I was laughing through a lot of the movie, funny stuff.

eLOT

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    I saw the movie last night.... it wasn't as bad as everyone is saying. My wife and I both enjoyed it.... that being said.... not many people other than us did.

I will not recomend it if you are expecting to see the next 6th Sense. but if you don't take is so seriously, it's really not a bad movie at all.

MNS's uniqueness is his vice, his movies are all outside the box.... not many people get him, and/or are not ready for his type of suspense. You want big explosions and giant lizards attacking Manhattan.... MNS is not for you