Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Pitcher for American League in 2008 All Star Game At Yankee Stadium

Hall Of Fame

Starting Pitcher for American League in 2008 All Star Game At Yankee Stadium

Why Not ??

Would love to see that happen, also wonder if Mussina is gonna make the team, he deserves too.

Veteran
    Joe Saunders

All I gotta say is, the talent level is definitely swinging to the NL. Especially pitching wise.

Veteran
    Mariano deserves to start the game. He is the best pitcher in the American League, regardless of whether we're talking starter or closer. Having Mariano starting the all-star game at Yankee Stadium would be great..if not, lets hope he gets a chance to close it.

Relievers don't start All-Star games. Moose would be a nice choice being the games at the Stadium and he's having a nice year. Mo should pitch the ninth.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    Relievers don't start All-Star games.
    Just because they don't doesn't mean they can't.

It's a glorified exhibition game.

If he pitches, he pitches only one inning....What difference does it make whether he starts or ends the game ??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post

If he pitches, he pitches only one inning....What difference does it make whether he starts or ends the game ??
    Because in Yankee Stadium, it doesn't make sense for Mariano to not come running out of the bullpen at some point to the loud sound of Metallica's Enter Sandman.

It is for home field in the WS and anyway since Mo earned his status pitching the 9th, WTF would you want him starting for?

This is a stupid idea.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This is a stupid idea.
    Michael Kay is all about it for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Michael Kay is all about it for some reason
    Michael Kay is stupid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Michael Kay is stupid.
    Don't sell him short. I know toe fungus smarter than Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    All I gotta say is, the talent level is definitely swinging to the NL. Especially pitching wise.
    not seeing what you're seeing!

I see 4 real competitive teams, philly, florida, cubs, and arizona. The AL remains far and away deeper

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    It is for home field in the WS and anyway since Mo earned his status pitching the 9th, WTF would you want him starting for?
    Home Field advantage is a marketing gimmick for Fox and managers don't manage the game as life and death..if they did, you would not have wholesale substitutions throughout the game...they would leave your best players in the whole game.

All Star games are littered with starting pitchers coming in as relievers....but the converse is taboo ??

If the game is 11-2 National League heading into the top of the 9th, you think "Enter Sandman" has any meaning ??

Guarantee me that the AL is up one run heading into the ninth then I'm with you.

But since you can't, I would rather be CERTAIN that Mo's appearance has some "value" in this Stadium this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post

I see 4 real competitive teams, philly, florida, cubs, and arizona. The AL remains far and away deeper
    Florida is only here for the short term. Don't expect them to stick around.

The AL East is ridiculous at this point, and the White Sox and Angels look strong.

AL holds a slight 22-19 edge in interleague so far, but that's after only the one weekend. I expect that gap will widen after the next round of matchups.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post

That may be so, but the very top players are residing in the Senior League more-so than the AL. Especially Starting pitching wise and it's not close.

The AL may be deeper, but the NL has more top end players, and I think that's what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    That may be so, but the very top players are residing in the Senior League more-so than the AL. Especially Starting pitching wise and it's not close.

The AL may be deeper, but the NL has more top end players, and I think that's what he meant.
    Don't waste your time......Tampa is here to stay while Florida is a pretender in their eyes.
    The NL has closed the gap and may move right on by the AL. There are also more NL teams with winning records than the AL so not sure where the "far and away" comment comes from. It always seems that whenever the Yanks are mediocre we hear how tough the AL is. The only reason the AL has ever been stronger is because line-ups rosters are built differently due to the DH.

And they say I don't understand baseball?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    And they say I don't understand baseball?
    I hope sometime in your next 20,000 posts you learn context.
    Frankly, I'm not holding out much hope.

PS: They're right.