Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sox/Rays fight

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Reyes?

Absolutely not.
    Why dont you restart this thread and call it "I don't think Jose Reyes can fight."?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    Why dont you restart this thread and call it "I don't think Jose Reyes can fight."?
    I lol'ed, but i'm drunk

Sorry Sean

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    beltran is p*ssy , trust me...church looks like a big boy....dirty sanchez looks like he gets down and i bet you billy wagner is one of those guys that punches, pokes, bites basically does what ever he has to to come out on top, he seems scrappy.

my favorite part of any bench clearin brawl is darryl strawberry's blind sider when he was a yankee dont remeber who they were fightin
    He clocked Benitez after he drilled Tino Martinez between the numbers.

Veteran
    Good to see the Rays getting a personality this year. Playing hard/winning and standing up to the big boys (brawling with the NYY and Sox) will get peoples attention.

LOL at Gomes punching Crisp who is trapped under the catcher. And then someone else (2nd baseman?) tries throwing some girly punches in.

Baseball fights are a riot.

I am guessing Youk read Manny the riot act. Manny was about 10 minutes late to the brawl. Didn't wanna mess up his dreads.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    So Coco had it coming, right? It wasn't even chin music. He was looking for a fight.
    Couple of things of note from the day before:

1. Crisp slid, headfirst, into second where Bartlett completely blocked the bag with his leg, causing him to jam his thumb (which got him upset);

2. Next time Crisp slid into 2nd, with Iwamura covering, he goes in completely late and dirty, taking out Iwamura....when the Rays staff came out to check, Madden started jawing at the Red Sox dugout, specifically at Crisp, with Crisp angrily responding and gesturing to his arm that Bartlett blocked the bag.

3. After the inning, Madden mouths to IWamura something along the lines of "don't worry, we'll get him"

If Crisp took his medicine like a man, no of this would have happened.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    LOL at Gomes punching Crisp who is trapped under the catcher. And then someone else (2nd baseman?) tries throwing some girly punches in.

I am guessing Youk read Manny the riot act. Manny was about 10 minutes late to the brawl. Didn't wanna mess up his dreads.
    Having a debate with my buddy who's originally from Maine. He agrees with you, re Gomes and Crawford being sucker punches.

This wasn't just your run of the mill, everyone gather on the field brawl....this was the real deal.

What Coco should have done, after getting grazed by a pitch, was put his head down, jog to first, complete the sweep and let the Rays fall into oblivion. Instead, he escalates the situation that he was at fault for.

I understand him being upset that the bent his thumb on the 2nd baseman's leg. There is a legit reason to slide in hard the next time you're going into second. What he did was far above and beyond what is acceptable. His slide was just as dirty as Shelly Duncan's. He deserved to get hit. He knew he was going to get hit, and he made the concious decision to charge the mound.

In that case, he deserves everything he gets. The Rays were on the top step waiting for it. If he jogs to first, everything is fine. If he comes after the pitcher, they're going after him.

The Sawx were looking to push and shove, the Rays were looking for blood.

If Im the Sawx, and someone gets hurt in that brawl (easy to do, it was pretty nasty), I am really pissed at Coco for starting it.

I agree with your analysis re Youk and Manny. Youk is the type of guy to get his uni dirty for his teammates. Manny is the type of guy that BS's with the prima donna on the other team while his guy is under the pile getting his ass kicked.

Just me, but I'll take Gomes and Crawford on my team any day.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

Apparently that is what happened, I heard it on sports radio this morning.

I think that's hilarious. Manny was like, "**** this, I'm not getting involved." And that big stupid goon Youkilis got on his case.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Having a debate with my buddy who's originally from Maine. He agrees with you, re Gomes and Crawford being sucker punches.

This wasn't just your run of the mill, everyone gather on the field brawl....this was the real deal.

What Coco should have done, after getting grazed by a pitch, was put his head down, jog to first, complete the sweep and let the Rays fall into oblivion. Instead, he escalates the situation that he was at fault for.

I understand him being upset that the bent his thumb on the 2nd baseman's leg. There is a legit reason to slide in hard the next time you're going into second. What he did was far above and beyond what is acceptable. His slide was just as dirty as Shelly Duncan's. He deserved to get hit. He knew he was going to get hit, and he made the concious decision to charge the mound.

In that case, he deserves everything he gets. The Rays were on the top step waiting for it. If he jogs to first, everything is fine. If he comes after the pitcher, they're going after him.

The Sawx were looking to push and shove, the Rays were looking for blood.

If Im the Sawx, and someone gets hurt in that brawl (easy to do, it was pretty nasty), I am really pissed at Coco for starting it.

I agree with your analysis re Youk and Manny. Youk is the type of guy to get his uni dirty for his teammates. Manny is the type of guy that BS's with the prima donna on the other team while his guy is under the pile getting his ass kicked.

Just me, but I'll take Gomes and Crawford on my team any day.
    I agree 100%. Crisp was totally wrong and was acting like a little *****. Did you see his post-game interview? He was all smiles and he said, "As far as I'm concerned, now we're even." Really? I only wish one of your starting pitchers broke his hand or something.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Apparently that is what happened, I heard it on sports radio this morning.

I think that's hilarious. Manny was like, "**** this, I'm not getting involved." And that big stupid goon Youkilis got on his case.
    What exactly did Manny do? Did he just sit on the bench the whole time like George Foster during a fight in '86 or was he goofing off on the 'outer layer' of the pile with a Ray? I remember someone took issue with Jeter when he did that with Arod about 10 years ago, was it Shane Spencer or Chad Curtis?

Regardless, it shouldn't be too hard to run out there and just find somebody to cancel out and keep each other out of the bedlam.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    What exactly did Manny do? Did he just sit on the bench the whole time like George Foster during a fight in '86 or was he goofing off on the 'outer layer' of the pile with a Ray? I remember someone took issue with Jeter when he did that with Arod about 10 years ago, was it Shane Spencer or Chad Curtis?

Regardless, it shouldn't be too hard to run out there and just find somebody to cancel out and keep each other out of the bedlam.
    Correct, it was Curtis who called out Jeter. Not suprisingly, he was not a member of the team beyond that season.

It's like when everyone pairs off in a hockey brawl... the figure skaters pair up with each other and let the real men slug it out. I'm sure Jeter and A-Rod wouldn't have minded embracing each other during that fight - you know, to keep the other guy from getting involved...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHector View Post
    Correct, it was Curtis who called out Jeter. Not suprisingly, he was not a member of the team beyond that season.

It's like when everyone pairs off in a hockey brawl... the figure skaters pair up with each other and let the real men slug it out. I'm sure Jeter and A-Rod wouldn't have minded embracing each other during that fight - you know, to keep the other guy from getting involved...
    Yeah, I think Curtis took issue with Jeter 'fake fighting' and smiling with Arod. I guess it's not right to smile while there's a fight going on. I think Youk was right to approach Manny, if in fact Manny broke the bench clearing brawl protocol, he should've just saved it for the clubhouse though.

Banned
    I am a Yankee fan, but I have watched the Devil rays minor league team in Durham, NC. They have a great farm team in Durham and it does not surprise me that they are doing good at this point. I would have to say they are my second favorite team. They do not take shi... from anyone.. You have to respect that.

Crisp is an idiot.

He should have just walked to first base and the teams would have been even. Now the Sox might have fired up the Rays, and Crisp got himself suspended on a night where Ellsbury and Manny both left the game early with injuries, and Ortiz is on the DL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Manny being Manny.

lolza

I hope Youk yanked a big hand full of that Della Reese hair from underneath Mannys kerchief.

He's twice the man the Manny will ever be, though Manny won the talent lottery...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    I'd take my chances if the Mets had Mo Vaughn. Honeslty, I think the only Met who LOOK like they can fight are Reyes, Church, Beltran and Perez.
    Reyes? When Miguel Olivo stepped to him last year on the second to last game of the season, Reyes sh!t his pants, and then when people got in front of them, tried to get at him when he knew there was backup.

He's the last guy im taking for a fight. I'll be glad for him to lock up with Jeter and hug it out.

Just don't let the guys doing the dirty work see you yucking it up. No one says you have to be in the middle of it, but don't be laughing with your buddy from the all star game, when some just got a fat lip.

Perez was born to run!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

btw, does anyone have the video of the benitez/strawberry fight?

haven't seen that in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    btw, does anyone have the video of the benitez/strawberry fight?

haven't seen that in a while.
    Seriously, even though Straw was in a Yankee uniform and Benitez was an Oriole, there is nothing I would love to watch over and over again than Straw and Graeme Lloyd attempting to kill him. I bet every Mets fan would agree.

I've been looking all over for this, as well as the 4 bench clearing brawls the 86 Mets got into, and I can't find any. Even youtube is letting me down.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Seriously, even though Straw was in a Yankee uniform and Benitez was an Oriole, there is nothing I would love to watch over and over again than Straw and Graeme Lloyd attempting to kill him. I bet every Mets fan would agree.

I've been looking all over for this, as well as the 4 bench clearing brawls the 86 Mets got into, and I can't find any. Even youtube is letting me down.
    Wasn't Graeme Lloyd off the bench first? And he just joined the team that day or something?

I remember I was caddying that day at the local golf club and some of the guys were watching the game at the halfway house.