Thread: 2008 Yankees Draft Class

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

2008 Yankees Draft Class

DAY 1

1 (28) RHP Gerrit Cole, Orange Lutheran HS, Calif.

1S (44) LHP Jeremy Bleich, Stanford

2 (75) RHP Scott Bittle, Ole Miss

3 (106) 2B David Adams, Virginia

4 (140) INF Corban Joseph, Franklin HS, Tenn.

5 (170) OF/IF Chris Smith, Centennial HS, Compton, Calif.

6 (200) RHP Brett Marshall, Sterling HS, Baytown, Texas
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nomaas.org/draft/

6th Rounder Brett Marshall wants $1 million

June 5th, 2008

With a Rice scholarship awaiting him, the Oswalt-sized Texan is looking to cash in if he’s going to pass up the renowned baseball powerhouse.

“We try to set some numbers right about a million dollars,” Eddie Marshall, Brett’s dad, said. “If you get it, you get it. If you don’t, you don’t.

“I think he’s worth it. Of course, I’m his dad. But I know what kind of person he’ll be. He’s going to play in the big leagues.”

It also turns out that the Yankees had him at a private workout recently, and his team’s playoff schedule prevented other MLB teams from following suit.

But Marshall says he is no longer considering San Jac an option.

“I was thinking about that route, going to San Jac,” he said, “but not a lot of people get that opportunity to go to Rice and get that education.”

The education Marshall and his family are getting now is in the ways of big league ball.

Marshall and his mother flew to Tampa, Fla., over the weekend, so Brett could audition in person Monday at the New York Yankees’ spring training facility.

“He put on one hell of a show this weekend,” Eddie Marshall said of his son. “That was his first visit, because of (Sterling’s long run in) the playoffs. The Astros, Mets, Phillies, he had invitations to all of them, but he couldn’t make it because of the playoffs.

“He was supposed to be at an Astros deal Sunday, but he couldn’t because he was at the Yankees.

“Just about everbody wants him, but making the right offer’s another thing.”

This could be a very interesting process, although it looks to me that Marshall will end up signing with the Yankees. Obviously if I hear anything from NoMaas sources I will let the draftniks know.

By the way, if this doesn’t excite you about this kid, I don’t know what will:

A lot of on-line scouting reports talk about how Marshall came from out of nowhere to land a spot among the country’s top 100 prospects – Baseball America magazine has Marshall ranked No. 87 – because his fastball did likewise, getting 10 mph faster in a year.

Sterling coach Paul Tadlock says Marshall hit 93 mph on the radar gun in a playoff game at Deer Park last year. And he points out Marshall finished the 2007 season strong and earned a first-team all-district selection.

“Last year, I topped out at 94 and I was consistent in the 90s,” Marshall said. “My goal this year was to top out at 95. I did that in our first scrimmage. When I got up to 97 …

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

that article was damn funny, as if the kid has better options. He's a bum. This draft class is what it is, not nothing to talk about....like most MLB drafts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    OF/1B CHRIS SMITH

http://www.wavenewspapers.com/defaul...papers&he=.com

A 6-foot-2, 195-pounder who bats and throws from the left side, Smith is drawing lots of attention from major league scouts, who are commonplace at Centennial games.

He figures to go fairly high in the first-year player draft in June and even if that doesn’t work out to his satisfaction, there’s still college for Smith, who has committed to USC.

As for which way he’s leaning, he said, “It all depends on where I go in the draft.”

The ability to hit the baseball is what has attracted scouts’ attention.

The numbers he’s put up are startling: His .725 (37 for 51) batting average and 1.529 slugging average lead the nation. His on-base percentage of .763 is third nationally. He’s already hit 10 home runs (tied for second in the Southern Section) with 36 RBIs and 20 stolen bases. He hit two more homers Friday, including a tape-measure grand slam that cleared two fences, a residential street and a water channel before landing on the grounds of an elementary school.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by person View Post
    that article was damn funny, as if the kid has better options. He's a bum. This draft class is what it is, not nothing to talk about....like most MLB drafts.
    Well I'm a baseball dork, I can talk about this all night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Well I'm a baseball dork, I can talk about this all night.
    well you better find the closest wall then

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides Gerrit Cole, who I targeted for a few days now. Chis Smith is my favorite pick. Seems to have a great head on his shoulders and he looks like he has massive slugging potential.

My top 3 picks from day 1.

1. Gerrit Cole
    2. Chris Smith
    3. Scott Bittle

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-06-2008 at 01:23 AM.