Thread: Phil Hughes injury update

Phil Hughes injury update

http://philhughes.wordpress.com/

On another note, I have been pain free for about a week and hope to be throwing again soon. I also received my new Oakley prescription glasses for when I’m back on the mound. Should be pretty intimidating. haha. Talk to you later.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

According to the Yankees, however, Hughes will not be cleared to throw until a bone scan shows his fractured rib is totally healed. That hasn’t happened yet. Once he’s cleared, he can start playing catch and work on building up to taking the mound again. That will take some time.
    I'm not really sure what the Yankees should do with Hughes when he's ready to play in real games. He might just need to spend the rest of the season in AAA building up his arm and legs. Remember he's still 21 years old.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-10-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'm not really sure what the Yankees should do with Hughes when he's ready to play in real games. He might just need to spend the rest of the season in AAA building up his arm and legs. Remember he's still 21 years old.
    i'm fine with that.

Where's my No-Kei update?

Should do with what they did with Joba last year. Let him go to AAA ball, get his confidence/body built up and bring him at the end of the year out of the bullpen. Hell, if we're out of the race stretch him out like they did Joba. He could easily work 1-2 innings a night and at least you keep in the big league atmosphere.

Right now there is no spot for him in the rotation. Maybe if Rasner starts to fail or a injury occurs elsewhere.

He's likely 2 months away from Major League consideration anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious89x View Post
    Should do with what they did with Joba last year. Let him go to AAA ball, get his confidence/body built up and bring him at the end of the year out of the bullpen. Hell, if we're out of the race stretch him out like they did Joba. He could easily work 1-2 innings a night and at least you keep in the big league atmosphere.
    Absolutely not. Hughes needs to get in as many innings as he can this season, weather it's in the minors or the majors, he needs innings.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-10-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Absolutely not. Hughes needs to get in as many innings as he can this season, weather it's in the minors or the majors, he needs innings.
    Sorry I meant more like Kennedy. Bring him in September and (hopefully) for our play-off run.

As of right now if his stuff is the same it's a matter of conditioning, if he dominates AAA ball he's not doing us any good down there. Needs to get his licks up with the big boys. Plus I think if Wang goes down soon (which I'm afraid he will) I'm afraid they'll rush him back. 2 injuries in 2 years scares me, I'd rather them take it slow, like you said he's 21

Sorry I meant more like Kennedy. Bring him in September and (hopefully) for our play-off run.

As of right now if his stuff is the same it's a matter of conditioning, if he dominates AAA ball he's not doing us any good down there. Needs to get his licks up with the big boys. Plus I think if Wang goes down soon (which I'm afraid he will) I'm afraid they'll rush him back. 2 injuries in 2 years scares me, I'd rather them take it slow, like you said he's 21
    You can't expect a 21 year old kid to save our season. This isn't just about the 2008 Yankees (This team doesn't have what it takes to win a championship) It's about the Yankees and Phil's future. I'll be more than happy to see Hughes finish out the year in Scranton's rotation dominating, building confidence towards 2009.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-10-2008 at 07:19 PM.

You can't expect a 21 year old kid to save our season. This isn't just about the 2008 Yankees (This team doesn't have what it takes to win a championship) It's about the Yankees and Phil's future. I'll be more than happy to see Hughes finish out the year in Scranton's rotation dominating, building confidence towards 2009.
    Actually bro I don't mean him to "save our season". I guess I'm a bigger believer of trial by fire rather then keeping him in AAA ball. So you have him build his confidence and dominate in AAA and then he comes up and gets shellacked in the majors. What good does that do him? At this point he had seemed like he was finally getting his stuff together and went on the DL. That's why I said depending on where we are, if we aren't making the play-offs have him come up and get innings underneath his belt. He was amazing last year playing the "long man" role. I'd love to see him there and then set him up to be a starter next year. We're gonna need him next year 300000 times more then this year. I'm not totally disagreeing with you, I agree that we need him for the future but dont' think him dominating AAA ball will do him any good. The kid is 21... he has probably dominated every level he has ever been to. The bigs were probably his first taste of not being the best, he seems to have a good head on him (better then Kennedy) so I think he can come up and take his licks after he throws some in AAA, this year.

Actually bro I don't mean him to "save our season". I guess I'm a bigger believer of trial by fire rather then keeping him in AAA ball. So you have him build his confidence and dominate in AAA and then he comes up and gets shellacked in the majors. What good does that do him? At this point he had seemed like he was finally getting his stuff together and went on the DL. That's why I said depending on where we are, if we aren't making the play-offs have him come up and get innings underneath his belt. He was amazing last year playing the "long man" role. I'd love to see him there and then set him up to be a starter next year. We're gonna need him next year 300000 times more then this year. I'm not totally disagreeing with you, I agree that we need him for the future but dont' think him dominating AAA ball will do him any good. The kid is 21... he has probably dominated every level he has ever been to. The bigs were probably his first taste of not being the best, he seems to have a good head on him (better then Kennedy) so I think he can come up and take his licks after he throws some in AAA, this year.
    If Hughes doesn't throw at least 130 innings this season, he will not be in the major league rotation next year. He's at 22 innings right now, what does that tell you? He needs to be in a rotation for the rest of the year to build up those innings. Being in a bullpen doesn't do that.

If Hughes doesn't throw at least 130 innings this season, he will not be aloud to be in the major league rotation.
    You know more then me man, just offering my opinion. Regardless it's nice to see he's on his way back. Hopefully those glasses work better for him then Farnsuck.

It's been a while since I've seen any injury news on Hughes. And I agree with Sean. This is not a championship caliber team so let him get his licks in with the big league club. Let him throw his 130 innings if possible so he is in a good position next year.