Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How stupid and annoying is this whole holdout thing?!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How stupid and annoying is this whole holdout thing?!

I mean every NFL offseason you hear of numerous players who are unhappy with their contract and who don't participate in the team's activities because of it. Some even talk about holding out for longer if they don't get a new contract.

It is sickening how greedy these guys are. They are earning millions and millions yet they want more and more. They already have the dream job of so many people yet they have no respect for the game, the fans or the people paying them.

Burress wants a bigger contract cause they won a super bowl. Well, what's up when he isn't winning like in the years before?! Or when someone doesn't play up to his enormous contract?! Does he get a paycut... of course not.

Just imagine if every normal guy wouldn't go to work just because he feels that he doesn't earn enough money. Guess what, they would be fired. I would do the same to all those spoiled clowns liek Chad Johnson, just release them and prevent them from ever working in the NFL again. Then they would get a clue about how they were "underpaid" before...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581683]I mean every NFL offseason you hear of numerous players who are unhappy with their contract and who don't participate in the team's activities because of it. Some even talk about holding out for longer if they don't get a new contract.

It is sickening how greedy these guys are. They are earning millions and millions yet they want more and more. They already have the dream job of so many people yet they have no respect for the game, the fans or the people paying them.

Burress wants a bigger contract cause they won a super bowl. Well, what's up when he isn't winning like in the years before?! Or when someone doesn't play up to his enormous contract?! Does he get a paycut... of course not.

Just imagine if every normal guy wouldn't go to work just because he feels that he doesn't earn enough money. Guess what, they would be fired. I would do the same to all those spoiled clowns liek Chad Johnson, just release them and prevent them from ever working in the NFL again. Then they would get a clue about how they were "underpaid" before...[/QUOTE]

What are you, some kind of communist? These guys are selling the rare commodity that only they have: the ability of a world-class NFL athlete. If they're able to get the market to bear a greater cost, then I don't see what concern it is of yours. NFL contracts are notorious for the one-sidedness of them; the team holds all the cards.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581683]

It is sickening how greedy these guys are.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Ratgini and company should keep their flytraps shut and stop making verbal promises to players and then hang them out to dry.

Same old Jets. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581683]I mean every NFL offseason you hear of numerous players who are unhappy with their contract and who don't participate in the team's activities because of it. Some even talk about holding out for longer if they don't get a new contract.

Just imagine if every normal guy wouldn't go to work just because he feels that he doesn't earn enough money. Guess what, they would be fired. I would do the same to all those spoiled clowns liek Chad Johnson, just release them and prevent them from ever working in the NFL again. Then they would get a clue about how they were "underpaid" before...[/QUOTE]

As long as the GMs and owners let them get away with it they will continue...play or get fined your salary for that year each week you do not play...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=beemer;2581705]What are you, some kind of communist? These guys are selling the rare commodity that only they have: the ability of a world-class NFL athlete. If they're able to get the market to bear a greater cost, then I don't see what concern it is of yours. NFL contracts are notorious for the one-sidedness of them; the team holds all the cards.[/QUOTE]

Am I a communist? Ehh no. Was that question necessary?! Ehh no.

It's not my problem that you are ok with the outragous contracts of today's pro athletes and them being spoiled brats. People who work hard for every dollar they can get might have a little different opinion of players saying they are "underpaid", "treated unfair" or acting like they are some kind of gods.

Not something you like to see from the sports world, that's generally is setting examples for our youth...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and this isn't just about selling your talent at the highest prize. It's also about way how you do it. Will anybody tell me that Chad Johnson way of going about things is appropriate?!? Seriously?! Or would you rather say he's acting like a stupid primadonna and a complete jerk... that behavior needs to stop...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually, the Jason Peters holdout in Buff. is amusing. Plaxico too. The only time I hate it in fact, is when it happens to the Jets.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581745]Am I a communist? Ehh no. Was that question necessary?! Ehh no.

It's not my problem that you are ok with the outragous contracts of today's pro athletes and them being spoiled brats. People who work hard for every dollar they can get might have a little different opinion of players saying they are "underpaid", "treated unfair" or acting like they are some kind of gods.

Not something you like to see from the sports world, [B]that's generally is setting examples for our youth[/B]...[/QUOTE]

Please.

How are professional athletes "setting and example" for our youth? :rolleyes:

That's as ridiculous as saying professional athletes are role models.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2581707]Maybe Ratgini and company should keep their flytraps shut and stop making verbal promises to players and then hang them out to dry.

Same old Jets. :yes:[/QUOTE]

How is it Mangini and not Tannenbaum? And what promise of Mangini's, not Tannenbaum's, is Baker rebelling for having not received?

Seriously, did Mangini say that he was going to use him as a pass catcher more, and it didn't happen? Or is it purely a monetary, "I'm the number 1 TE and should be paid like it" issue, which is Tannenbaum? If you can find an article where Mangini is clearly at fault here, I will gladly shut up and read it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2581757]Please.

[B]That's as ridiculous as saying professional athletes are role models.[/B][/QUOTE]

And here goes that WHOLE thread from about five months ago...

YES they are role models, whether they like it or not. Anyone in the public eye is a role model, deal with it. That's all there is too it. Some take it seriously and use their celebrity to help, others only give a crap about themselves and disappoint. Just like parents do...Does this mean they are more important than parents? OF course not...never was the argument before. But by living your life in the public eye, you are a role model...period.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;2581757]Please.

That's as ridiculous as saying professional athletes are role models.[/QUOTE]

Actually they are. Seriously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581745]Am I a communist? Ehh no. Was that question necessary?! Ehh no.

Not something you like to see from the sports world, that's generally is setting examples for our youth...[/QUOTE]

Um if regular people were 6'5 with speed to stretch the field and the only reason Eli Manning isnt one of the bottom 5 qbs in the league then maybe they could ask for millions more.

The fact of the matter is the Owners don't have to honor there end of the contracts since they are not garunteed so players have every right to demand new contracts to get paid while they are at the top of their game.

And as far as setting an example for our youth that is complete bull****. The NFL is a business and if Plaxico Burress and Chad Johnson and the hundreds of other players who want new contracts has a negative impact on your child then YOU deal with it because it is not their problem.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MainManMickens24;2581776]

And as far as setting an example for our youth that is complete bull****. The NFL is a business and if Plaxico Burress and Chad Johnson and the hundreds of other players who want new contracts has a negative impact on your child then YOU deal with it because it is not their problem.

[/QUOTE]

Very well said. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The youth part went a bit far, I agree. Yet in general something should be done about that whole system because it's the same story every offseason. And I stand by the comment that guys like Chad Johnson are just acting like complete jerks out there. Too bad they won't be punished for their childish behavior... but hey, if everyone is ok with it whatever...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Burress wants a bigger contract cause they won a super bowl. Well, what's up when he isn't winning like in the years before?![B] Or when someone doesn't play up to his enormous contract?! Does he get a paycut... of course not[/B].

Just to play the other side of the argument, Some players are actually forced to take a cut in pay. Usually following a dissapointing season, ive seen alot of players forced to take a cut in pay / restructure, or get traded/cut, because they didnt perform.

I do agree with what your saying though. It is getting ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MainManMickens24;2581776]

And as far as setting an example for our youth that is complete bull****. The NFL is a business and if Plaxico Burress and Chad Johnson and the hundreds of other players who want new contracts has a negative impact on your child then YOU deal with it because it is not their problem.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys being this obtuse on purpose?

Athletes, actors, politicians....ANYONE living life in the public eye is a role model. You had them as a kid, just like everyone else. Does this mean they are responsible when little Jimmy breaks the law because Randy Moss punches some girl? No, but that does not mean their actions do not have a great affect on a lot of people. Don't like it when little Jimmy comes up and says you broke his heart when you cheated, drove drunk, beat your wife.....go flip burgers and be anonymous.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2582264]
    Athletes, actors, politicians....ANYONE living life in the public eye is a role model. You had them as a kid, just like everyone else. Does this mean they are responsible when little Jimmy breaks the law because Randy Moss punches some girl? No, but that does not mean their actions do not have a great affect on a lot of people. Don't like it when little Jimmy comes up and says you broke his heart when you cheated, drove drunk, beat your wife.....go flip burgers and be anonymous.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. grow up. I'm so sick of that 1950's bullshyte mentality.

I've already told little Jimmy who he should look up to. And its ain't Randy Moss.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya Mo....It's these outrageous salaries that make it virtually impossible for me to take my kids to a major sporting event....Greed is killing sports on both ends....Owners AND players alike.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2582304]I'm with ya Mo....It's these outrageous salaries that make it virtually impossible for me to take my kids to a major sporting event....Greed is killing sports on both ends....Owners AND players alike.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and the media also underlines this entire crap... or do you ever hear huge ESPN specials about the feel good stories and true role models out there...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;2582290]Ugh. grow up. I'm so sick of that 1950's bullshyte mentality.

I've already told little Jimmy who he should look up to. And its ain't Randy Moss.[/QUOTE]

Belichick? :eek:

If I ever have a son I'll tell him to look up to Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. If you're going to make them look up to rich scumbags, at least let them be [I]insanely[/I] rich scumbags.