Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How stupid and annoying is this whole holdout thing?!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;2582290]Ugh. grow up. I'm so sick of that 1950's bullshyte mentality.

I've already told little Jimmy who he should look up to. And its ain't Randy Moss.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll take my cue from you FF2....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but truth is truth.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;2583161]Yeah, I'll take my cue from you FF2....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but truth is truth.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst yours right back. Your living in a dream world. Kids are much smarter than you give them credit for.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FF2;2583168]Sorry to burst yours right back. Your living in a dream world. Kids are much smarter than you give them credit for.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Even they know Tim Russert was a hack.

[QUOTE=MainManMickens24;2581776]Um if regular people were 6'5 with speed to stretch the field and the only reason Eli Manning isnt one of the bottom 5 qbs in the league then maybe they could ask for millions more.

The fact of the matter is the Owners don't have to honor there end of the contracts since they are not garunteed so players have every right to demand new contracts to get paid while they are at the top of their game.

And as far as setting an example for our youth that is complete bull****. The NFL is a business and if Plaxico Burress and Chad Johnson and the hundreds of other players who want new contracts has a negative impact on your child then YOU deal with it because it is not their problem.[/QUOTE]

indeed, but signing bonus are in place to offset the idea that owners can
    cancel contracts. I like Coles, but he got huge signing bonus's from both
    jets and skins to build a house thats costing more then 20 mil to build. people
    with alot of money are insane.

Hall Of Fame
    I do see what you're saying, but I think you need to put the rareness of the athlete skill set into perspective.

Here's the thing. Picture the ****tiest offensive lineman who has been on this team in the past three years. Maybe Adrian Clarke? Okay, now, you'd say he's pretty bad, right? The thing is, he's better at his job than you are at yours. That's not an insult to you, Mo, I'm sure you're good at whatever you do because you write well and you seem like a good guy, but frankly it's not even close. Some people think that's depressing, but it's not really - the NFL represents the peak of a pyramid of American football players that is probably several hundred thousand men deep.

The players, in turn, are excellent at doing something that generates scads and oodles of revenue. Just tons. And we all participate. So what do you get when someone is elite at doing something that makes a ton of money? Well, a multi-millionaire. And to say that the players don't deserve the best bargaining chip they can obtain is, well, a little Communist. Just a scosh.

Add in the fact that the life expectancy of NFL players is around or exceeding ten years short of the national male average despite top-notch access to medical care and nutrition and I think that holding out is pretty appropriate in almost all cases.

All League
    Players what to be compensated at the going rate if this is what they feel they need, they will have to give up something. Multi year deals with large up-front money must become a thing of the past. Shorter term and a guaranteed contract may be the only answer. Going this route may prove lucrative for some but in my opinion in general players salaries will suffer. I believe this is the direction the owners what to go in as well as having a salary cap for rookies. Max 3 year contacts (for developmental purposes) for rookies I believe will also drive down rookie salaries and allow more money for the vets to pool from, but will owners spend it? That said the Dan Snyders and George Steinbreners of the pro sports world need to bring themselves under control if any progress is to be made, and I am a Yankee fan.

[QUOTE=beemer;2581705]What are you, some kind of communist? These guys are selling the rare commodity that only they have: the ability of a world-class NFL athlete. If they're able to get the market to bear a greater cost, then I don't see what concern it is of yours. NFL contracts are notorious for the one-sidedness of them; the team holds all the cards.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he is so much upset at the large money, rather he is upset a the hold out spoiled brat antics. If you are under contract then play it out and then demand big money. There are rare instances when a guy is a star from day one but is on a 4th round draft pick rookie contract, and maybe he should get a raise.

Otherwise it is a contract that the player signed by their own free will. Live up to it and be a man.

Having said that the athletes are not at fault, most are children and only pull these stunts because the owners let them by seeing them act like this and rewarding them for it. When I say rewarding them. I mean the owners that give these guys mega deals after the player does their best to tear their former team up.

If owners didn't reward that behavior it wouldn't happen.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;2583415]I do see what you're saying, but I think you need to put the rareness of the athlete skill set into perspective.

Here's the thing. Picture the ****tiest offensive lineman who has been on this team in the past three years. Maybe Adrian Clarke? Okay, now, you'd say he's pretty bad, right? The thing is, he's better at his job than you are at yours. That's not an insult to you, Mo, I'm sure you're good at whatever you do because you write well and you seem like a good guy, but frankly it's not even close. Some people think that's depressing, but it's not really - the NFL represents the peak of a pyramid of American football players that is probably several hundred thousand men deep.

The players, in turn, are excellent at doing something that generates scads and oodles of revenue. Just tons. And we all participate. So what do you get when someone is elite at doing something that makes a ton of money? Well, a multi-millionaire. And to say that the players don't deserve the best bargaining chip they can obtain is, well, a little Communist. Just a scosh.

Add in the fact that the life expectancy of NFL players is around or exceeding ten years short of the national male average despite top-notch access to medical care and nutrition and I think that holding out is pretty appropriate in almost all cases.[/QUOTE]

Good post, some very good points. Kind of puts some things in perspective, yet I'm still fed up with the way primadonnas like Chad are acting...;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AmericanMadman;2583677]I don't think he is so much upset at the large money, rather he is upset a the hold out spoiled brat antics. If you are under contract then play it out and then demand big money. There are rare instances when a guy is a star from day one but is on a 4th round draft pick rookie contract, and maybe he should get a raise.

Otherwise it is a contract that the player signed by their own free will. Live up to it and be a man.

Having said that the athletes are not at fault, most are children and only pull these stunts because the owners let them by seeing them act like this and rewarding them for it. When I say rewarding them. I mean the owners that give these guys mega deals after the player does their best to tear their former team up.

If owners didn't reward that behavior it wouldn't happen.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it.

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581683]I mean every NFL offseason you hear of numerous players who are unhappy with their contract and who don't participate in the team's activities because of it. Some even talk about holding out for longer if they don't get a new contract.

It is sickening how greedy these guys are. They are earning millions and millions yet they want more and more. They already have the dream job of so many people yet they have no respect for the game, the fans or the people paying them.

Burress wants a bigger contract cause they won a super bowl. Well, what's up when he isn't winning like in the years before?! Or when someone doesn't play up to his enormous contract?! Does he get a paycut... of course not.

Just imagine if every normal guy wouldn't go to work just because he feels that he doesn't earn enough money. Guess what, they would be fired. I would do the same to all those spoiled clowns liek Chad Johnson, just release them and prevent them from ever working in the NFL again. Then they would get a clue about how they were "underpaid" before...[/QUOTE]

LOL! I think it's absolutely hilarious how everyone wants to bad mouth the players for wanting more money but no one has $hit to say about the guys who get cut daily because they don't meet expectations.

You want the players to stop complaining about money than get rid of this non-guaranteed contract crap that's only supported by the NFL! Owners have all the power and players are at their mercy; so plain and simple [B][I]GET THE MONEY WHEN YOU CAN AND DON'T CAVE TO PRESSURE FROM THE MEDIA OR WHINEY FANS!![/I][/B]

You can be unemployed next year so [B]YES! HOLD OUT AND GET YOUR MONEY![/B]

How many Basketball, Baseball, Hockey players do you see holding out??? NONE! The owners are accountable for their decision whether they are good or bad. In the NFL the owners & GM's can screw up on a year to year basis and just keep cutting guys and bringing in new one.

Blame the system and greedy owners, not the player who are looking to get their worth.

Just my $.02

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;2581683]I mean every NFL offseason you hear of numerous players who are unhappy with their contract and who don't participate in the team's activities because of it. Some even talk about holding out for longer if they don't get a new contract.

It is sickening how greedy these guys are. They are earning millions and millions yet they want more and more. They already have the dream job of so many people yet they have no respect for the game, the fans or the people paying them.

Burress wants a bigger contract cause they won a super bowl. Well, what's up when he isn't winning like in the years before?! Or when someone doesn't play up to his enormous contract?! Does he get a paycut... of course not.

Just imagine if every normal guy wouldn't go to work just because he feels that he doesn't earn enough money. Guess what, they would be fired. I would do the same to all those spoiled clowns liek Chad Johnson, just release them and prevent them from ever working in the NFL again. Then they would get a clue about how they were "underpaid" before...[/QUOTE]

I find it interesting how some will show up but not participate and to me, that's like really rubbiong it into management, coaches and player's.
    Last edited by MrSFJFC; 06-15-2008 at 11:49 AM.