Thread: OT - Have any of you tore your calf muscle?

All League

OT - Have any of you tore your calf muscle?

My wife tore a calf muscle last week during a mother-son kickball game and the doctor was very vague as to what she is allowed to do in rehab. Anyone have experience with this?

Jets Insider VIP
    pm Moga, he's a doctor ya know.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=simijet;2582438]My wife tore a calf muscle last week during a mother-son kickball game and the doctor was very vague as to what she is allowed to do in rehab. Anyone have experience with this?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I tore mine last year in February.

I did extensive rehab and I was only permitted to bike and swim (I do mini-triathlon's) but was not permitted to run.

My rehab was done by mid-April and I got clearance to then start running, and I did the Fairfield Half-Marathon in June with no problems.

The rehab was key, and I was motivated for the 1/2, so I went religiously.

All League
    [QUOTE=JStokes;2582481]Yes, I tore mine last year in February.

I did extensive rehab and I was only permitted to bike and swim (I do mini-triathlon's) but was not permitted to run.

My rehab was done by mid-April and I got clearance to then start running, and I did the Fairfield Half-Marathon in June with no problems.

The rehab was key, and I was motivated for the 1/2, so I went religiously.[/QUOTE]

How long before you tried to walk on it?

I completely tore mine about five years ago playing softball.

I was playing second base and the ball was hit up the gap, I turned right and started to run to cover 2nd when I heard a loud snap and felt like somebody hit the back of my lower leg with a bat. I went down immediately and couldn't put any pressure on the leg without excruciating pain.

Diagnosis: complete tear.

I couldn't put any pressure on it for two weeks and was on crutches for about a month after that. Rehab lasted another two months. Maybe the most painful injury I've ever had.

I never had anything like that...that must be a major "trip" very large muscle...I would think it would take a long time to heal...and if the person has any circulation problems... man...I would really feel for that person...hope the wife gets well soon !

[QUOTE=simijet;2582438]My wife tore a calf muscle last week during a mother-son kickball game and the doctor was very vague as to what she is allowed to do in rehab. Anyone have experience with this?[/QUOTE]

Are you the mother or the son? Or is this some kind of bizarre Chinatown angle?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2582887]I completely tore mine about five years ago playing softball.

I was playing second base and the ball was hit up the gap, I turned right and started to run to cover 2nd when I heard a loud snap and felt like somebody hit the back of my lower leg with a bat. I went down immediately and couldn't put any pressure on the leg without excruciating pain.

I couldn't put any pressure on it for two weeks and was on crutches for about a month after that. Rehab lasted another two months. Maybe the most painful injury I've ever had.[/QUOTE]
    scheeezz! what a wimp!

[QUOTE=jetdawg;2582943]scheeezz! what a wimp![/QUOTE]

Let me slice your calf muscle in half and then tell me how it feels.

[QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2582983]Let me slice your calf muscle in half and then tell me how it feels.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that your usual pick-up line?

[QUOTE=FF2;2583015]Isn't that your usual pick-up line?[/QUOTE]

60% of the time it works every time. :yes:

Go see a physical therapist asap

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2582887]I was playing second base and the ball was hit up the gap, I turned right and started to run to cover 2nd when I heard a loud snap and felt like somebody hit the back of my lower leg with a bat. I went down immediately and couldn't put any pressure on the leg without excruciating pain.[/QUOTE]

:akface:akface:akface

I tore my femur when i was 15 kicking a corner kick and it hurt like *ell. I couldn't play soccer all through high school bc of it. I have a golfball size hole in the middle of my right thigh.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2583019]60% of the time it works every time. :yes:[/QUOTE]

That's almost sig-worthy.

All League
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2582887]I completely tore mine about five years ago playing softball.

I couldn't put any pressure on it for two weeks and was on crutches for about a month after that. Rehab lasted another two months. Maybe the most painful injury I've ever had.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kleck. Yeah, the orthopaedic doc reviewed the MRI and said it was a complete tear, but he doesn't want to do surgery. He also said the achiles was in good shape. My wife is scared because she's had two reconstructive surgeries on the other ankle from sports related injuries which took a long time to heal.

With this injury, she had the same experience as you. In her case, she was on 3rd base and broke (pun intended) for home when she heard and felt a pop. She, too, thought someone hit her in the back of the leg and her first instinct was to turn around to yell a some little brat. Then the wave of pain came. She hasn't been able to put pressure on it since.

All League
    [QUOTE=SantanaMoss83;2583025]Go see a physical therapist asap[/QUOTE]

She just had her first consult with an orthopaedic surgeon yesterday. He basically said for her to do only as much as she can tolerate. Problem is, she can't tolerate anything right now. We've got another appointment in two weeks. If he doesn't set up a rehab program at that point, we'll become more proactive and do whatever's necessary to get her going.

Don't go too hard on the rehab because there are a few complications that arise even if it seems to be fine. I only partially tore mine and was only on crutches for a couple of days. I then pushed the rehab too quickly and it felt perfect about 2 weeks after the initial tear. Everything seemed fine for about 6 months, then it started to cramp after a short walk and become quite painful without doing too much work.

Long story short, there was extensive scarring on the muscle and the fascia (holds the muscle in place) which forced the muscle slightly to the side. 1 operation later and its fine, just a big headache because I pushed too hard after the original injury.

Initially the calf will feel extremely tight, like it is in a permanent cramp and is very painful to move. Gentle extension exercises are what you are after to start with. If you have a surface that you can sit on and swing your legs freely under it thats perfect. Sit on it and slowly move your feet backwards as far as you can. Then extend the legs as far as possible. Alternate between trying to extend the foot for 1 and keeping it held up for the next as it will work different areas of the muscle. Also standing on the edge of the stairs and slowly lowering the heel below the step and back up again. Both of those are very good for getting the flexibility back and once you have that getting strength back is very easy. the exercises should be done initially with both legs and then just the injured leg when it is up to it, all on a slow 8 count. Each of those about 30 times a day (split over the day) to start and then more as you get more comfortable and your wife will be jumping arund in again in a matter of weeks. Aim for 6 weeks to full recovery and if she sticks with the rehab it could be quite a bit less than that.

Have tore my calf three times and hamstring I've done about 12 or 13 times.

Tore my hamstring about 6 weeks ago - am seeing a physio tomorrow to see how it is progressing.

Basically there really isn't much you can do apart from rest and ice it for a couple of days after the initial injury, and thereafterwards start gradually exercising it until it starts to get better.

I would be very wary of doing 'full tilt' exercise for some time after you do the tear.

What I found is that my tears have tended to come when I've been tired - apparently one of the best ways to avoid tears is to actually do your exercise first thing in the morning. But once you've done a tear your muscle will be susceptible to the same injury for some months afterward. Hamstrings have a 30% recurrence rate for about the first 6 months after you've first injured it.