Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tim Russert Heart Attack at 58

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

RIP Tim Russert Heart Attack at 58

[URL="http://www.nypost.com/seven/06132008/news/nationalnews/tim_russert_dies_from_apparent_heart_att_115384.htm"]http://www.nypost.com/seven/06132008/news/nationalnews/tim_russert_dies_from_apparent_heart_att_115384.htm[/URL]

[QUOTE]Tim Russert, NBC journalist and political heavyweight host of "Meet the Press," has died after collapsing at NBC's Washington news bureau, a source said. He was 58 years old.

Russert, who rose from the inside world of politics where he was former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo's press secretary and one-time chief of staff to the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, was able to successfully cross over to political journalism and rise to become one of its leading lights.

[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this on the main board. Pretty shocking.

Even though he was a Democrat, he always seemed to ask both sides the tough questions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible loss.

Yes, he was pompous. But he asked tough questions of both sides and usually had done his homework. There are very few talking heads in television news you can say that about.

RIP, Tim. You will be missed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great loss. Russert helped instill an interest in politics and government before my teenage years.

He was one of the few that had an agenda of seeking accountability- not scoring political points or uncovering scandals.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow...that is a great loss

I had more respect for him than any other perosn in the media today..

he did his best to withhold his bias to the best of his ability, asked tough questions, and was always well prepared....

a sad day for the media...because it lost a legitamate giant in the field..and a symbol of what the media should be....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad news, and too young to boot. May he rest in peace.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am watching the coverage now. Its sad on many levels as he leaves a family behind and died far too young. But from a selfish point of view, I will miss watching him. He was a credit to his profession because he was a throw back to a different era of journalism.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap!

RIP Russert...NBC just lost it's last credible employee.

Who's going to host Meet the Press now? Chris Matthews? God, I hope not...:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember saying just this week seeing him on tv that he looked horrible. He was overweight and he didn't appear right. I couldn't believe he was only 57. He looked much older. Shows how impt it is to take care of yourself.

A tragedy indeed. He had a lot of credibility and will be missed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huge loss here. I feel for his family and the NBC family. I did not always like his style but it like the man himself was respected by me.

NBC has a big hole to fill here. I think Brokaw may do some Sundays until they find someone suitable. Maybe David Gregory?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my God, that's shocking.

His poor family.

Rest in peace Tim.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2582673]Holy crap!

RIP Russert...NBC just lost it's last credible employee.

Who's going to host Meet the Press now? Chris Matthews? God, I hope not...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sad to think about. There are so few truly credible people covering politics on TV. Look at the other hosts --Stephanopolous, Matthews-- all clowns, basically.

Maybe they'll bring Brokaw back in the short term, but that's a big downgrade, imo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP

A great loss to TV journalism. As mentioned, he was a throw back to a bygone era. Whenever he was on TV either on Meet the Press, election coverage, or doing TV spots, the event seemed bigger and more important.

Sad to think that he was just celebrating his son's graduation from college the other day on a family trip to Italy.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP. I'm in shock

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pompous asses like Olbermann and Hannity and brain-dead robots like Brian Williams and Katie Couric could never hold a candle to Russert and real journalists like him. And yet, that's all we have left.

Who could NBC get to host Meet the Press? It was without a doubt my favorite news show. Anyone else on their staff now would pale in comparison, unless they were able to bring back Brokaw. If it's that little worm David Gregory then I'll never watch it again.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    sad to see....amongst other things his interviews for the book "Big Russ" were incredibly enjoyable...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2582898]Pompous asses like Olbermann and Hannity and brain-dead robots like Brian Williams and Katie Couric could never hold a candle to Russert and real journalists like him. And yet, that's all we have left.

Who could NBC get to host Meet the Press? It was without a doubt my favorite news show. Anyone else on their staff now would pale in comparison, unless they were able to bring back Brokaw. If it's that little worm David Gregory then I'll never watch it again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The last of these political pundits I'd want to see go..

Seriously..How is O'Reilly running around happy and healthy and Russert dies at such a young age. :(

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    btw..I think the Times said it was pulmonary embolism possible related to his plane flight home from Italy..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad day . :( I will miss his honesty and integrity something thats sorely lacking in american journalism today. RIP Tim you will be missed.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2582898]
    Who could NBC get to host Meet the Press? It was without a doubt my favorite news show. Anyone else on their staff now would pale in comparison, unless they were able to bring back Brokaw. If it's that little worm David Gregory then I'll never watch it again.[/QUOTE]

that's a good question...Gregory immediately degrades the show- Stephanopolous would be an interesting choice....