Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tim Russert Heart Attack at 58

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2582957]that's a good question...Gregory immediately degrades the show- Stephanopolous would be an interesting choice....[/QUOTE]

Yeah but Stephanopolous already hosts ABC's counterpart to Meet the Press.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2582963]Yeah but Stephanopolous already hosts ABC's counterpart to Meet the Press.[/QUOTE]

My feeling is that Brokaw would host MTP for a while. From watching the way those two covered elections, you get the feeling they weren't only colleagues...but also good friends. Brokaw probably feels he has the duty to host the show in Russert's untimely absence.

Who they get to host after...I don't know. It's very very large shoes to fill.

Such a shame to see him pass before this years momentous election. He was one of the few news people who seemed to thoroughly enjoy politics...not just to see politicians who share his ideas win...but just a healthy enthusiasm for how the process worked.

:(

His best moment:

[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=W8tXOID45Qw[/url]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2582979]

Such a shame to see him pass before this years momentous election. He was one of the few news people who seemed to thoroughly enjoy politics...not just to see politicians who share his ideas win...but just a healthy enthusiasm for how the process worked.

:([/QUOTE]

He was like a kid in a candy store whenever there was some kind of big-time story or other political intrigue going on. Remember when he manned the dry-erase whiteboard in the 2000 election? He was like a fiend on that thing, constantly jotting down his predictions and showing it the camera, quickly erasing and jotting down again. He was in his element. He enjoyed it all, but most importantly, he knew what he was talking about.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2582957]that's a good question...Gregory immediately degrades the show- Stephanopolous would be an interesting choice....[/QUOTE]

True on Gregory. I don't think ABC would let Stephanopolous go.

I think Paulie is right. Brokaw is the logical interim choice.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

A damn shame. Probably the best of them all...his loss simply dumbs down the whole political media a few notches. Rest in peace.

If you grew up in the pre internet and pre fox news era {as I did}, and you happened to be a Republican, then you have to be very saddened tonite because you have to remember when Tim Russert was the closest thing we got to a fair shake in the mainstream media, and the only fair shake we recieved from one of the network giants

Ironically Russert came into the media from democratic politics, working for Mario Cuomo and DP Moynihan, his track record suggested he might be the most partisan of the lot, but he turned out to be the least partisan, tough on everyone, dems and reps alike, a true professional with no agenda other than to play it down the middle and be the best political commentator he can be .. and IMO he was the very best, the cream of the crop, put Rahter, Jennings, Brokaw, Koppel {etc.} to shame .. better then the overrated Cronkite too

He was too young and this came way too sudden and unexpected .. terrible loss

RIP BIG TIM
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-14-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2582991]His best moment:
    [/QUOTE]

Apparently the Prick switch is permanently stuck in the ON position with you. Typical lib...everything's fodder for the fight. Whaddadickbag.

CNN can shove their fancy HD graphics up their commie ass... this was all I ever needed for a raw breakdown of the numbers:

[IMG]http://www.37signals.com/svn/images/russert.jpeg[/IMG]

haha, I love it. He added to excitement of any election night.

RIP, Tim

BTW, Tim Russert was Great in every format, election nite, meet the press, etc, but for my taste the best Tim Russert or should I say Tim Russert at his very best was his late nite talk-show on the weekends, CNBC or MSNBC, a one hour interview like meet the press only more casual, relaxed and less confrontational .. it was more of a conversation and that's where Tim Russert's decency really shined through, IMO where you got to see what Tim Russert was like in a more casual setting and he was very likable

Of everything he has done exceptionally well, I'm going to miss that show on weekend nights most of all

I was such a big fan of that show
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-14-2008 at 02:12 AM.

[QUOTE=shakin318;2583232]Apparently the Prick switch is permanently stuck in the ON position with you. Typical lib...everything's fodder for the fight. Whaddadickbag.[/QUOTE]

Really? What's your excuse then, prick?

However you wanna piss from the mouth, the fact is Russert took on the most powerful, nasty VP this country has ever suffered, and never waivered against that VP's fraudulent message. And he did so on national television. I'd say that was the man's defining moment in the field of journalism. You can keep the focus on me if you like, but all I did was heap fitting praise on the man.

[QUOTE=shakin318;2583232]Apparently the Prick switch is permanently stuck in the ON position with you. Typical lib...everything's fodder for the fight. Whaddadickbag.[/QUOTE]

Press is correct on this one; that was one of Russert's best moments. And for the last time this is not about partisan politics. When Russert grilled Hilary Clinton it was equally as impressive. Look, Cheney mislead this country about going to war. Its up to the individual to determine whether he lied or was just "mistaken" with the intell :zzz: . But Russert stood toe to toe with a powerful American figure and professionaly shot holes through his story.

And lets not forget; Cheney's "mistakes" are costing us billions of our dollars, thousands of our soldiers lives and a reputation around the world that is in the gutter.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-14-2008 at 07:55 AM.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2583327]Press is correct on this one; that was one of Russert's best moments. And for the last time this is not about partisan politics. When Russert grilled Hilary Clinton it was equally as impressive. Look, Cheney mislead this country about going to war. Its up to the individual to determine whether he lied or was just "mistaken" with the intell :zzz: . But Russert stood toe to toe with a powerful American figure and professionaly shot holes through his story.

And lets not forget; Cheney's "mistakes" are costing us billions of our dollars, thousands of our soldiers lives and a repution around the world that is in the gutter.[/QUOTE]

Typical liberal using the tragic death of someone to take cheap political shots.

Tim Russert IMO was the best at what he did, my sincere sympathies go out to his wife and son. RIP

[QUOTE=shakin318;2583160]A damn shame. Probably the best of them all...his loss simply dumbs down the whole political media a few notches. Rest in peace.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here. Hope it is not another freefall

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2583243]BTW, Tim Russert was Great in every format, election nite, meet the press, etc, but for my taste the best Tim Russert or should I say Tim Russert at his very best was his late nite talk-show on the weekends, CNBC or MSNBC, a one hour interview like meet the press only more casual, relaxed and less confrontational .. it was more of a conversation and that's where Tim Russert's decency really shined through, IMO where you got to see what Tim Russert was like in a more casual setting and he was very likable

Of everything he has done exceptionally well, I'm going to miss that show on weekend nights most of all

I was such a big fan of that show[/QUOTE]

I found that weekend format interesting also. The guest would really open up too:)

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2583330]Typical liberal using the tragic death of someone to take cheap political shots.

Tim Russert IMO was the best at what he did, my sincere sympathies go out to his wife and son. RIP[/QUOTE]

This is a huge loss, in a critcal year (election) and just before Father's Day

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    The more I think about this the more it occurs to me just how much better he was the everyone else.

What a shame..

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2583330]Typical liberal using the tragic death of someone to take cheap political shots.

Tim Russert IMO was the best at what he did, my sincere sympathies go out to his wife and son. RIP[/QUOTE]

The first sign of an ignorant statement is when someone uses words to describe people like; "typical (insert stereotype)....."

But it was a good attempt at twisting my post to try and come across as being high minded. My post was not partisan in any way, but I think you know that. In fact here it is again;

[I]"Press is correct on this one; that was one of Russert's best moments. [B]And for the last time this is not about partisan politics. When Russert grilled Hilary Clinton it was equally as impressive[/B]. Look, Cheney mislead this country about going to war. Its up to the individual to determine whether he lied or was just "mistaken" with the intell . But Russert stood toe to toe with a powerful American figure and professionally shot holes through his story. [/I]

[I]And lets not forget; Cheney's "mistakes" are costing us billions of our dollars, thousands of our soldiers lives and a reputation around the world that is in the gutter."[/I]

How ironic that by playing that cheap parlor trick, it is you who is actually "exploiting the tragic death of someone to take political shots". And if your sympathies truly went out to russert's family you would honor is work like the content in my post instead of turning it into a partisan issue.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-14-2008 at 04:35 PM.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2583575]The first sign of an ignorant statement is when someone uses words to describe people like; "typical (insert stereotype)....."

But it was a good attempt at twisting my post to try and come across as being high minded. My post was not partisan in any way, but I think you know that. In fact here it is again;

[I]"Press is correct on this one; that was one of Russert's best moments. [B]And for the last time this is not about partisan politics. When Russert grilled Hilary Clinton it was equally as impressive[/B]. Look, Cheney mislead this country about going to war. Its up to the individual to determine whether he lied or was just "mistaken" with the intell . But Russert stood toe to toe with a powerful American figure and professionally shot holes through his story. [/I]

[I]And lets not forget; Cheney's "mistakes" are costing us billions of our dollars, thousands of our soldiers lives and a reputation around the world that is in the gutter."[/I]

How ironic that by playing that cheap parlor trick, it is you are who is actually "exploiting the tragic death of someone to take political shots". And if your sympathies truly went out to russert's family you would honor is work like my post did instead of turning it into a partisan issue.[/QUOTE]

IMO it was Press Coverage who attempted turned this thread into partisan crap. What a surprise.

Tim Russert was a legend in broadcasting, hosted Meet the Press for 17 years, and his "best moment" was a clip found on crooksandliars? Come on. I understand the importance of that particular interview, but that's how Russert was with everyone. He tore apart the message of every politician. In fact, Cheney probably saw it coming before the interview even began. It's not like that one interview made earth-shattering headlines, fans of Russert saw what he was doing and appreciated it.

To jack a video from crooksandliars and call that his "defining moment" leads me to believe that Press Coverage wasn't even all that familiar with Russert to begin with.

Hall Of Fame
    Sad situation, RIP.

However, I sense another tin foil hat situation brewing. How soon before the conspiracy theory loons start in with he was "silenced" by someone in a position of power?