Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Cowher's thoughts on Faneca...

Bill Cowher's thoughts on Faneca...

found this on CBS.com's fantasy football site. It's not much but I thought it might be of interest...

(interview being conducted by David Richards, CBS senior fantasy football hack)

[quote] [I]Let's talk about him (Faneca). One of the players on our radar this preseason is Thomas Jones with the Jets, and a lot of that has to do with Faneca moving to the Jets from the Steelers. Could you tell me what the Jets got in Faneca, and why he's important to the Jets' success?[/I]

Cowher: He's a consummate pro, from the time he steps on the field in practice to the meeting rooms to what you see on Sunday. He and his wife are solid people who gave so much to the Pittsburgh community, and he's just rock solid from top to bottom. He's a hard worker and a competitor. That's why he's been recognized as probably the best guard in football for a long time. And there's no doubt he'll do a lot for the Jets' running game. That's his strength. He's not just good at moving at the point of attack, he's also become very good in space. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets utilize him as a puller because he does that very well.

[I]Is it true that when you add a veteran like Faneca to an young offensive line -- he's surrounded by left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, both entering their third year -- that he'll improve their play?[/I]

Cowher: No question. While the skill positions are more complex, there are still nuances and complexities from a lineman's standpoint. People change their positions before the snap and show blitzes in a number of ways, so there's no question that a lot of line calls need to be made by either the center or the guard and get out to the tackle. Having a guy like Alan Faneca next to Ferguson will make him a better tackle. [/quote]

Here's a link, but I don't know if it will work (it's a paid site)

[URL="http://bkpl2004.football.sportsline.com/news/10860728"]http://bkpl2004.football.sportsline.com/news/10860728[/URL]

All League
    As Jet fans this is exactly what we are all hopeing for.

Bewildered Beast
    Thanks, tb. Always enjoy your contributions on all forums. ;):D

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm just shocked that we actually went out and spent the big bucks to bring Faneca in.

He's was #1 on my FA wishlist but I never thought in a million years that we would actually seal the deal. He's still one of the Top 5 OG's in the game and should still have another 3 or 4 years of all-pro play left in him.

The perfect piece to place between Brick and Mangold.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;2583567]I'm just shocked that we actually went out and spent the big bucks to bring Faneca in.

He's was #1 on my FA wishlist but I never thought in a million years that we would actually seal the deal. He's still one of the Top 5 OG's in the game and should still have another 3 or 4 years of all-pro play left in him.

The perfect piece to place between Brick and Mangold.[/QUOTE]

No matter how they Jets next season works out, I can't fault the front office for this off season. They did everything they could to improve the pass rush, run D, and O line. They were aggressive, and proved that, when the team has cap space, they are very willing to spend cash to improve the team.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;2583567]I'm just shocked that we actually went out and spent the big bucks to bring Faneca in.

My thoughts exactly on Faneca. He was #1 and right after him was Kris Jenkins on my wish list! When we got both of them I almost passed out from the excitement. I was beside myself. lol

[QUOTE=titanbuoy;2583514]found this on CBS.com's fantasy football site. It's not much but I thought it might be of interest...

[URL="http://bkpl2004.football.sportsline.com/news/10860728"]http://bkpl2004.football.sportsline.com/news/10860728[/URL][/QUOTE]

Well if anyone should know...he should...

[QUOTE=titanbuoy;2583514]found this on CBS.com's fantasy football site. It's not much but I thought it might be of interest...

[URL="http://bkpl2004.football.sportsline.com/news/10860728"]http://bkpl2004.football.sportsline.com/news/10860728[/URL][/QUOTE]

Great read - it confirms everything I thought before. Thanks for putting it on the board.

Faneca was my dream FA and #1 hope for the team. But I never thought in a million years we'd get him.

I really wanted him and Stacey Andrews. But when Andrews got franchised, I was happy to get Faneca and Woody. It's a big improvement for our OL (if not the entire offense).

That is a great read. We are very fortunate to say the least of how our off season worked out. Never thought we had a chance at Fanaca.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2583570]No matter how they Jets next season works out, I can't fault the front office for this off season. They did everything they could to improve the pass rush, run D, and O line. They were aggressive, and proved that, when the team has cap space, they are very willing to spend cash to improve the team.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

Mangini and Tannenbaum saw the exact same problems we all witnessed last season, Woody opened up the cash vault, and we went out and relentlessly pursued the guys we wanted.

There's no doubt about it, we replaced mediocre talent with proven, pro-bowl caliber players.

Faneca is a drastic upgrade over Adrien Clarke any way you slice it. Even if Alan's play has fallen off slightly the past two years he's still lightyears ahead of Clarke. We now have a 7 time pro-bowler wedged between Brick and Mangold. When we signed Faneca, we didn't just upgrade the LG position, we upgraded the entire O-line.

Woody is nothing special but he showed some promise at RT over the last 5 games for Detroit last season and let's face it, installing a turnstile on the right side would be an upgrade over Clement.

Even bringing in a pro-bowl lead blocker like Richardson should help do wonders for our ground game.

If Jenkins and Pace pan out on defense, we could have a shutdown unit. We finally have a 360 lb mauler at NT who just three years ago was known as the best DT in football. He'll have to make the adjustment from switching from the 4-3 to a two gapping 3-4 but he certainly has the skillset to make it a smooth transition. Pace is a well rounded player who could perhaps play the Mo Lewis role in this scheme.

Again, we'll have to see how quickly these guys can come together and have a little luck on our side regarding injuries, but you have to love what the front office showed this offseason. :yes:

Practice Squad
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL by way of Brentwood, New York.
    [QUOTE=JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB;2583588]My thoughts exactly on Faneca. He was #1 and right after him was Kris Jenkins on my wish list! When we got both of them I almost passed out from the excitement. I was beside myself. lol[/QUOTE]
    You almost passed out! I did pass out, things like this just don't ever happen for us jets fans and for once we got the guys we wanted. I believe this FO has started a new era for us and for now I'm happy!

No doubt he will improve our OL play, nice get Titan!

Bill Cowher coached Faneca. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JiF;2583807]Bill Cowher coached Faneca. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Nonsense

Faneca coaches Faneca.

Good read-thanks for posting!!

All Pro
    Great find.

I was pro O-Line help this off season but thought Faneca would be too much money for the down side of his career. I still get some Ronnie Lott flashbacks. It's a huge upgrade, I just wonder if a Smiley would have been a better long term solution, younger and cheaper but quite honestly, I and almost no one on this board, knows exactly how the two guards that played for different teams match up. That's Tanny's and the scouts' jobs and based on their other moves it looks good.

The team definitely had the best off-season of my 29 years of fandom. The Pace signing is the biggest question mark to me. He's one of the top 3 LBs in the league based on the money, he's playing OLB in the 3-4 but I think the team will consider themselves lucky if he even gets 8 sacks this year....that just doesn't fit.

The best signing by far IMO is Kris Jenkins. He IS the planet in planet theory. He'll make 10 guys better by day 1 and will probably be responsible for 4 or 5 pro bowl seasons for OTHER players during his tenure here.

[quote=chirorob;2583570]No matter how they Jets next season works out, I can't fault the front office for this off season. They did everything they could to improve the pass rush, run D, and O line. They were aggressive, and proved that, when the team has cap space, they are very willing to spend cash to improve the team.[/quote]

this year we see if mangini works or is the flop i think he is. too bad he doesn't appear to have much at the qb position though.

Get used to Cowher. He'll be in NY soon enough.