Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Bodes Well for Gholston and Pace

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

This Bodes Well for Gholston and Pace

From the latest PFW Whispers section:

[I]Sources in Miami tell us rookie Jake Long is every bit the physical specimen hes been billed as, but he clearly has a long way to go before becoming an upper-crust offensive lineman. Through minicamp, Long, the first overall pick in the draft, has shown glimpses of dominance as a run blocker [B]but has struggled to hold speed rushers at bay in pass protection.[/B][/I]

- Justin

Doesnt make a difference. Our entire LB unit is gonna bring the pain all season long!

Gholston had Long`s number in college and fortunatley for us he didn`t change that number.:D

[QUOTE=SantanaMoss83;2584467]Doesnt make a difference. Our entire LB unit is gonna bring the pain all season long![/QUOTE]No pun intended right? LOL ;)

Man I can't wait for the season to get started already!!!!

[QUOTE=RidgeJetsFan;2584463]From the latest PFW Whispers section:

[I]Sources in Miami tell us rookie Jake Long is every bit the physical specimen hes been billed as, but he clearly has a long way to go before becoming an upper-crust offensive lineman. Through minicamp, Long, the first overall pick in the draft, has shown glimpses of dominance as a run blocker [B]but has struggled to hold speed rushers at bay in pass protection.[/B][/I]

- Justin[/QUOTE]

See, they shoould have drafted Leinart instead of a fat lineman. Oh wait a minute, that was a couple of years ago and the Jets! Never mind.

[QUOTE=RidgeJetsFan;2584463]From the latest PFW Whispers section:

- Justin[/QUOTE]

The problem is if you don't get in obvious passing downs, it dosen't matter if Jake Long is not a great pass blocker. IF J Long Is destroying Gholston in the running game, you can bet the Dolphins aren't going to be in alot of third and long. What that means is , Gholston going to have to defend against the run first.(on these nthird and shorts) Cutting down his effectiveness.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;2584772]The problem is if you don't get in obvious passing downs, it dosen't matter if Jake Long is not a great pass blocker. IF J Long Is destroying Gholston in the running game, you can bet the Dolphins aren't going to be in alot of third and long. What that means is , Gholston going to have to defend against the run first.(on these nthird and shorts) Cutting down his effectiveness.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right.

We should cut Gholston outright.

Once again, thanks for your contribution.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;2584772]The problem is if you don't get in obvious passing downs, it dosen't matter if Jake Long is not a great pass blocker. IF J Long Is destroying Gholston in the running game, you can bet the Dolphins aren't going to be in alot of third and long. What that means is , Gholston going to have to defend against the run first.(on these nthird and shorts) Cutting down his effectiveness.[/QUOTE]

Gholston won't even be in there alot on running plays, because we have Pace/Thomas who are both good against the run. I expect Gholston to be more of a third down player early in the season, then getting more reps towards the end.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=EY;2584782]Absolutely right.

Once again, thanks for your contribution.[/QUOTE]

i couldnt agree more :D

[QUOTE=EY;2584782]Absolutely right.

Once again, thanks for your contribution.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the Gholston J Long matchup in college. YEs gholston got the one sack, that Long gave up, but how did Gholston do against him in the running game.

NOw Jets are paying Gholston alot of money for being the sixth pick. You really think hes not going to start at one OLB position, and going to be just a situational pass rusher his rookie year. I have a bridge to sell you , if you believe that.

[QUOTE=meatboy;2584783]Gholston won't even be in there alot on running plays, because we have Pace/Thomas who are both good against the run. I expect Gholston to be more of a third down player early in the season, then getting more reps towards the end.[/QUOTE]

Your crazy if you think both Calvin Pace and B Thomas both will be starting OLBs on the run downs. Than tell MIster know it all, what happens if its a pass on first down. Neither Calvin pace or B Thomas aren't exactly proven sack artist. QB has time + Who you start at # 2 cb position = Disaster waiting to happen.

Veteran
    Gholston's better than Thomas against the run.

[QUOTE=genom;2584827]Gholston's better than Thomas against the run.[/QUOTE]

Dude, he hasn't played ONE down in the NFL yet.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;2584810]Did you watch the Gholston J Long matchup in college. YEs gholston got the one sack, that Long gave up, but how did Gholston do against him in the running game.

NOw Jets are paying Gholston alot of money for being the sixth pick. You really think hes not going to start at one OLB position, and going to be just a situational pass rusher his rookie year. I have a bridge to sell you , if you believe that.[/QUOTE]

I dn't know what game you were watching but from the clips I saw, Long was VG's b*tch.

Besides that his role in the Jets Defense is going to be alot different than the predominantly down lineman he was at Ohio State. Most of the time he is going to be pinning his ears back and rushing the passer, which happened to be what LT made the HOF doing. And let's stop kidding ourselves here. Gholston has the biggest upside of any player in the past draft includding Darren the Gangbanger McFadden.

[QUOTE=genom;2584827]Gholston's better than Thomas against the run.[/QUOTE]

The question isn't that, but how will gholston hold up in the running game against Jake Long.(a dominate run blocker) So before you start getting exciting aboout your team facing Jake Long. You better make sure your able to get in obvious passing situations. IF not, its immaterial because they just might run the ball down your throat. Hard to pass rush on run downs.

All League
    Too bad everyone on our defense isn't great like the Raiders :rolleyes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;2584810]Did you watch the Gholston J Long matchup in college. YEs gholston got the one sack, that Long gave up, but how did Gholston do against him in the running game.

NOw Jets are paying Gholston alot of money for being the sixth pick. You really think hes not going to start at one OLB position, and going to be just a situational pass rusher his rookie year. I have a bridge to sell you , if you believe that.[/QUOTE]

He'll be part of the rotation year one, whether he plays on the first down of the defensive set is irrelevant. And that's just fine for a rookie.

And yes, I watched the match-up, did you... because he not only got the one sack, but caused a ton of problems in the backfield for Henne/Mallet.

I also know that Michigan, led by Jake Long and Mike Hart (albeit he was hurt) ended up with 3 points and 15 yards on the ground. So, I would answer your question with, he did VERY WELL in the ground game.

Thanks for playing.

Oh, and FTR, you're in no position to be talking about one dimensional players.

Hall Of Fame
    Mike Hart looked like crap against OSU. I seriously don't know what game you were watching, Raiduh. But of course, all of this is moot since the Raiders are going to beat all teams... every week, just to show what badasses they are. :rolleyes: I've never met someone (to use a Tx phrase here) more delusional than you. Get ready for another top 5 pick, bro. It's coming. :yes:

I doub Gholston gets that much action week 1. He is going to be in on pass rush moments.