Thread: You Be The Historian: G.W. Bush (JI Politics Thread of the Week)

You Be The Historian: G.W. Bush (JI Politics Thread of the Week)

Why is it the thread of the Week? Because I am the Mod, and I say so! :D :P :D This is a new kind of thread here, and I want to see how it goes. If it sucks, or is no fun for our posters, I'll scrap the idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so your task this week is simple:

YOU are a Historian. The year is 2150. Your job? To write an entry on American president G.W. Bush for the Encyclopedia Terra Universalis.

Your entry can be as long or as short as you feel warranted by the subject. There is no limit on what you write (of course), but I would suggest you at least try and put in in the kind of "objective" style and language most Encyclopedias at least aim for. The entry, and the legacy and future after Bush can be whatever YOU think it WILL be, and can be included in your piece as relevant to tell the tale.

This is NOT intended (at least initially) as a "comment on other Folks entries" thread either. We can do that after a few submissions come in, and we have some time to read and enjoy them. So I ask that posters please respect that, and write their own piece if they wish to comment. We can all judge/comment on the various pieces when the week is over.

Like I said, if this idea is ****e, and no one likes it, no worries we can scrap the idea and never do it again. But to me, this morning, this seemed like a fun and interesting forum thread idea.

Cheers.:D

Hall Of Fame
    W.o.a.t.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2585271]W.o.a.t.[/QUOTE]

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "w.o.a.t." mean?

And I guess the lack of comment to this thread speaks for itself. Shame, I really thought with all our big-mouthed opinionated writers in here (myself included) we could get some interesting insight. Oh well.:O

[QUOTE=Warfish;2586902]Forgive my ignorance, but what does "w.o.a.t." mean?

And I guess the lack of comment to this thread speaks for itself. Shame, I really thought with all our big-mouthed opinionated writers in here (myself included) we could get some interesting insight. Oh well.:O[/QUOTE]

Wost Of All Time

Frankly, I was waiting for this thread to blow up, I think everyone was afraid to touch it. Why don't you kick-start it, fish? :D

[QUOTE=pauliec;2586953]Wost Of All Time

Frankly, I was waiting for this thread to blow up, I think everyone was afraid to touch it. Why don't you kick-start it, fish? :D[/QUOTE]

Yea, I did too actually. I Must admit, I am quite dissapointed, really.

I was planning on writing one myself, but time was limited yesterday (and today too sadly). But if it's a dead topic, meh.:(

George W Bush the 43rd President of the United States. Thought to be the first mentally handicapped President it turned out that he was just a late bloomer and by age 55 was speaking the English language fluently. Best known for being a Howdy Dudey look alike as a child, Bush served during the war on terror that the US waged on civilized people across the globe. Universally hated by Islamic fundementalists and god hating Europeans Bush was considered a true and loyal friend to the Cheney family. When asked to comment for this piece the trustee of the Estate was unable to be reached and we were told that he was vacationing at an undisclossed off shore location. Mary Cheney added that it was because of George's unending support of the defense of marriage amendment that gay and lesbian marriage began to flourish in the US and she was able to marry her long time partner Heather Poe. Unfortunately Ms Poe later divorced Mary and got custody of their only child leaving Mary broke and alone much like most of the over 45 hetro sexual males in the US.

George W. Bush 2000-2008

Under his leadership, the United States invaded two countries, one with U.N. approval; Afghanistan, and the other without; Iraq. Provided no coherent strategy for the post invasion process in both countries for which Bush and his cabinet were widely criticized. His detractors believed the United States did not build up the overwhelming force necessary for the rebuilding of Iraqi and Afghani infrastructure while maintaining civil order through military occupation.

Furthermore, his ties to the oil industry and the lack of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons in Iraq began to erode his support as his time in office went on. Oil prices rose to over $120 a barrel and both the death toll along with the monetary cost of fighting two wars half way around the world alienated much of the American voting population.

Often described as the worst President of all time, he's widely hated and his administration is often described as "a black eye on the history of the United States" for his mishandling of two wars, his failure to produce a good reason to send American troops to Iraq, the eroding American economy of the early 21st century, the failure to seriously address the American economy's fossil fuel addiction with a solution, his cabinet's numerous corruption scandals, the widening gap between the real wages of the very wealthy and the vast majority of Americans and finally, because of his inability to speak coherently or intelligently at an adult level.

*Holds the record for most time spent on vacation while holding the office of the Presidency.

I think the problem with this thread is that history ends in 2012.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, I can see where this is going....:rolleyes:

GW Bush - Mishandled Katrina
    Mishandled 2 Wars
    Mishandled the economy
    Mishandled spending
    Lied to the public about Iraq
    Oil at 140 a Barrel
    Mismanaged the American Military
    Mismanged his own cabinet selection
    Mismanaged America into one of the most hated nations on Earth

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2587868]GW Bush - Mishandled Katrina
    Mishandled 2 Wars
    Mishandled the economy
    Mishandled spending
    Lied to the public about Iraq
    Oil at 140 a Barrel
    Mismanaged the American Military
    Mismanged his own cabinet selection
    Mismanaged America into one of the most hated nations on Earth[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't see how anything that you have written is unfair or innaccurate. The only positive aspect of this disgrace's resume is that[B] since [/B]September 11th we have not been attacked on United States soil (knock on wood). Thats it. I am embarrassed that he has been our president for two terms. :O

All League
    I think in 2150, the history revisionists will have purposely fogotten about GWB and his 8 years. It will show as a blacked out entry, like a declassified govt. document.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2587372]George W. Bush 2000-2008

Under his leadership, the United States invaded two countries, one with U.N. approval; Afghanistan, and the other without; Iraq. Provided no coherent strategy for the post invasion process in both countries for which Bush and his cabinet were widely criticized. His detractors believed the United States did not build up the overwhelming force necessary for the rebuilding of Iraqi and Afghani infrastructure while maintaining civil order through military occupation.

Furthermore, his ties to the oil industry and the lack of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons in Iraq began to erode his support as his time in office went on. Oil prices rose to over $120 a barrel and both the death toll along with the monetary cost of fighting two wars half way around the world alienated much of the American voting population.

Often described as the worst President of all time, he's widely hated and his administration is often described as "a black eye on the history of the United States" for his mishandling of two wars, his failure to produce a good reason to send American troops to Iraq, the eroding American economy of the early 21st century, the failure to seriously address the American economy's fossil fuel addiction with a solution, his cabinet's numerous corruption scandals, the widening gap between the real wages of the very wealthy and the vast majority of Americans and finally, because of his inability to speak coherently or intelligently at an adult level.

*Holds the record for most time spent on vacation while holding the office of the Presidency.[/QUOTE]

Solid post. Add in the signing of the Patriot Act, his response to Katrina, and his torture policy and we have ourselves a winner.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2587991]Honestly, I don't see how anything that you have written is unfair or innaccurate. The only positive aspect of this disgrace's resume is that[B] since [/B]September 11th we have not been attacked on United States soil (knock on wood). Thats it. I am embarrassed that he has been our president for two terms. :O[/QUOTE]

IJF, I had to stop cause it can worse and a lot longer. This has been the longest 8 year period of my life.

Maybe he can slow the aging process a bit:)