Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Will Obama Lead the U.S. To Energy Independence?

JetsInsider.com Legend

How Will Obama Lead the U.S. To Energy Independence?

What is the Obama Plan for maintaining the U.S. economy and quality of life, while leading us to energy independence?

Obama Supporters?

[QUOTE=Warfish;2586900]What is the Obama Plan for maintaining the U.S. economy and quality of life, while leading us to energy independence?

Obama Supporters?[/QUOTE]

Great question warfish. To start off, I believe that we could gain energy independence once we get a corporate stranglehold off of energy.

Look at Germany for example. They are pushing the envelope in gaining energy independence. Check this out.

[url]http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/london/03560.pdf[/url]

[url]http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/[/url]

Plan for a Clean Energy Future
    “Well, I don't believe that climate change is just an issue that's convenient to bring up during a campaign. I believe it's one of the greatest moral challenges of our generation. That's why I've fought successfully in the Senate to increase our investment in renewable fuels. That's why I reached across the aisle to come up with a plan to raise our fuel standards… And I didn't just give a speech about it in front of some environmental audience in California. I went to Detroit, I stood in front of a group of automakers, and I told them that when I am president, there will be no more excuses — we will help them retool their factories, but they will have to make cars that use less oil.”

— Barack Obama, Speech in Des Moines, IA, October 14, 2007

At a Glance
    Reduce Carbon Emissions 80 Percent by 2050
    Invest in a Clean Energy Future
    Support Next Generation Biofuels
    Set America on Path to Oil Independence
    Improve Energy Efficiency 50 Percent by 2030
    Restore U.S. Leadership on Climate Change

[QUOTE=Warfish;2586900]What is the Obama Plan for maintaining the U.S. economy and quality of life, while leading us to energy independence?

Who said anything about maintaining our standard of living? The plan is some peoples standard of living will drop and others will be maintained through government subsidy.

All Pro

I suppose harnessing all the hot air that comes out of Obama would be a bad answer?

[QUOTE=chirorob;2587387]I suppose harnessing all the hot air that comes out of Obama would be a bad answer?[/QUOTE]:D It's likely a better option than anything he'll follow through on..

The proper question should be:

Who do you believe (and why) will accomplish more in the battle to beat the American economy's addiction to fossil fuels/petroleum related resources, John McCain or Barack Obama?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2587326]
    At a Glance
    Restore U.S. Leadership on Climate Change[/QUOTE]

The trouble I have Bit, is that is all VERY general. How will he "reduce Carbon Emissions by 80%" for example? What does "Invest in a Clean Energy Futre" actually mena, specificly? "Set America on A Path to Oil Independence"? Thats what I am asking, WHAT is he planning that will do that, specificly?

Less generalizaed rhetoric, more specificity.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2587375]Who said anything about maintaining our standard of living?[/QUOTE]

I did. But if the plan indeed is to lower the quality of living in America, that is something to discuss too, is it not?

[QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2587414]The proper question should be:

Who do you believe (and why) will accomplish more in the battle to beat the American economy's addiction to fossil fuels/petroleum related resources, John McCain or Barack Obama?[/QUOTE]

Not in my thread it isn't. I want to discuss Obama's plan. If you wish to have a Mcain vs. Obama discussion, thats great, start your own thread and I'd be happy to post in it.

I dont; want to meander off what I am trying to find out here. And that is what, specificly, is Obama going to do to bring America to Energy Independance.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2587441] Thats what I am asking, WHAT is he planning that will do that, specificly?[/QUOTE]

Specifically he will try. Will he be able to succeed in 4 or 8 years? Probably not. But I believe he will try - and after the last guy, that's an improvement.

I don't need my leaders to be perfect, they just have to try - or at least appear to give a s--t.

[QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2587414]The proper question should be:

Who do you believe (and why) will accomplish more in the battle to beat the American economy's addiction to fossil fuels/petroleum related resources, John McCain or Barack Obama?[/QUOTE]

The Democratic plan so far has been to stop drilling oil, stop mining coal, stop nuclear power, stop imports of Ethanol from Brazil, encourage windmills and solar parks and protect American Ethanol. The Republican plan hasn't been much better and the fact that they couldn't do anything when they had the President and Congress in their grip doesn't say much for them either.

The end result is sustained high energy prices with Government getting out of the way may in fact do something that Government wasn't and isn't capable of doing regardless of party. I don't trust the Democrats to get out of the way or the Republicans to allow their friends to lose market share and money. It's a lose lose and the result is we will have to get poorer and more efficient as a society on our own before things get better.

The results are rising oil prices, rising food prices and a poorer society over all regardless of the party in power. Who do you trust? I trust my wife and a handful of close relatives and friends. Trusting either Obama or McCain to substantially change things that will better your quality of life is a fools game.

[url]http://www.house.gov/pelosi/press/releases/April06/Rubberstamp.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Pelosi: ‘With Skyrocketing Gas Prices, Americans Can No Longer Afford Rubber Stamp Congress’
    [B]Monday, April 24, 2006[/B]
    Washington, D.C. – House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement today on President Bush’s, Speaker Hastert’s, and the Republican Congress’ empty rhetoric on gas prices. Key facts on the Majority's failure to address gas prices follows Pelosi’s statement.

With skyrocketing gas prices, it is clear that the American people can no longer afford the Republican Rubber Stamp Congress and its failure to stand up to Republican big oil and gas company cronies. [B]Americans this week are paying $2.91 a gallon on average for regular gasoline[/B] – 33 cents higher than last month, and double the price than when President Bush first came to office.

“With record gas prices, record CEO pay packages, and record oil company profits, Speaker Hastert and the Majority Congress continue to give the American people empty rhetoric rather than join Democrats who are working to lower gas prices now.

“Democrats have a commonsense plan to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices by cracking down on price gouging, rolling back the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies, and increasing production of alternative fuels.” [/QUOTE]

Obama will try to create incentives to spur investment in renewables such as solar wind, fuel cells, etc. The idea is to use huge tax incentives to spur investment and, if it works, help the U.S. become a leader in a growing global market.

He's also indicated he wants to give Detroit more incentives to build better mpg vehicles, that could also make a big impact.

Beyond that, he tends to be more amenable to nukes than most Democrats, and actually had a pretty cozy relationship with Exelon, a big nuke concern in Illinois. If you parse his statements on nukes, I think it's fairly clear that he's open to them as an option. He falls a bit short of saying that outright on the trail, given the sensitivities of his base, but I 'd be very surprised if an Obama administration didn't wind up seeing the construction of nuclear plants.

I think his concern about global warming is very sincere and that he is serious about steering the U.S. away from oil to the greatest extent possible.

Will we be energy independent at the end of an Obama term? No, because that'll take decades. But I think we'll make some gains and have the foundation in place for more progress beyond that.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2587519]Obama will try to create incentives to spur investment in renewables such as solar wind, fuel cells, etc. The idea is to use huge tax incentives to spur investment and, if it works, help the U.S. become a leader in a growing global market.

He's also indicated he wants to give Detroit more incentives to build better mpg vehicles, that could also make a big impact.

Beyond that, he tends to be more amenable to nukes than most Democrats, and actually had a pretty cozy relationship with Exelon, a big nuke concern in Illinois. If you parse his statements on nukes, I think it's fairly clear that he's open to them as an option. He falls a bit short of saying that outright on the trail, given the sensitivities of his base, but I 'd be very surprised if an Obama administration didn't wind up seeing the construction of nuclear plants.

I think his concern about global warming is very sincere and that he is serious about steering the U.S. away from oil to the greatest extent possible.

Will we be energy independent at the end of an Obama term? No, because that'll take decades. But I think we'll make some gains and have the foundation in place for more progress beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Detroit has already come to the conclussion on their own that they must make smaller more efficient cars. That's after the auto workers lobbied Democrats while management lobbied Republicans for years to maintain low CAFE standards on fleets. Now the Taxpayer should help retool Detroit when Detroit has already figured out that they have to do it becuase their customers can't afford to drive big cars anymore? This is a waste of taxpayer money.

How about reducing regulation and fast tracking permits in a highly competitive energy environment for alternatives? How about doing something about the storage and disposal of nuclear waste and high capacity batteries and maybe subsidizing the start up of Hydrogen filling stations?

The problem with incentives is they are very expensive and are at the whim of political change.

How about Japan they are putting out some really big gas guzzlers. Mean while GM is closing truck plants and turning them into small car plants.

Hall Of Fame
    [/QUOTE]

Via CHANGE, and the audacity of hope. Maybe with some help from Rev Wright and a few dozen white devils/crackas.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2587569]Detroit has already come to the conclussion on their own that they must make smaller more efficient cars. That's after the auto workers lobbied Democrats while management lobbied Republicans for years to maintain low CAFE standards on fleets. Now the Taxpayer should help retool Detroit when Detroit has already figured out that they have to do it becuase their customers can't afford to drive big cars anymore? This is a waste of taxpayer money.

How about reducing regulation and fast tracking permits in a highly competitive energy environment for alternatives? How about doing something about the storage and disposal of nuclear waste and high capacity batteries and maybe subsidizing the start up of Hydrogen filling stations?

The problem with incentives is they are very expensive and are at the whim of political change.[/QUOTE]

Were it up to me, the tax incentives would be for the buyers, not the sellers, of high-MPG cars. The automakers would profit from the increased demand, imo.

As far as energy deregulation goes, its dicey. I don't think nuclear energy is something that can ever have less than strident regulation, for obvious reasons. (I agree it should be easier to build these plants, but there needs to be stric toversight regarding their security, waste and operation.) And we've seen in California that power companies have used deregulation as a license to maliciously gouge consumers.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2587441]

Not in my thread it isn't. I want to discuss Obama's plan. If you wish to have a Mcain vs. Obama discussion, thats great, start your own thread and I'd be happy to post in it.

I dont; want to meander off what I am trying to find out here. And that is what, specificly, is Obama going to do to bring America to Energy Independance.[/QUOTE]

All I'm saying is this: It's two man/party race. It's not really about finding the perfect solution, it's about who you think would better serve the issue in question.

But hey, it's your thread, and I don't know Obama's plan, so I'll butt out.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2587441]

I did. But if the plan indeed is to lower the quality of living in America, that is something to discuss too, is it not?
    [/QUOTE]

Standard of living should indeed be discussed, with candor. It's very clear many people have been living far above their means. A lot of people are about to see that the rainy day that their parents told them about is here.

All Pro
    Details from Obama's Campaign site:

The Problem
    Foreign Oil: America's 20-million-barrel-a-day oil habit costs our economy $1.4 billion a day, and $500 billion in 2006 alone. Every single hour, we spend $41 million on foreign oil.

Climate Change: As a result of climate change, glaciers are melting faster; the polar ice caps are shrinking; trees are blooming earlier; more people are dying in heat waves; species are migrating, and eventually many will become extinct.

Barack Obama's Plan
    Cap and Trade: Obama supports implementation of a market-based cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions by the amount scientists say is necessary: 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. Obama's cap-and-trade system will require all pollution credits to be auctioned. A 100 percent auction ensures that all polluters pay for every ton of emissions they release, rather than giving these emission rights away to coal and oil companies. Some of the revenue generated by auctioning allowances will be used to support the development of clean energy, to invest in energy efficiency improvements, and to address transition costs, including helping American workers affected by this economic transition.
    Confront Deforestation and Promote Carbon Sequestration: Obama will develop domestic incentives that reward forest owners, farmers, and ranchers when they plant trees, restore grasslands, or undertake farming practices that capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Invest $150 Billion over 10 Years in Clean Energy: Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid. A principal focus of this fund will be devoted to ensuring that technologies that are developed in the U.S. are rapidly commercialized in the U.S. and deployed around the globe.

Double Energy Research and Development Funding: Obama will double science and research funding for clean energy projects including those that make use of our biomass, solar and wind resources.
    Invest in a Skilled Clean Technologies Workforce: Obama will use proceeds from the cap-and-trade auction program to invest in job training and transition programs to help workers and industries adapt to clean technology development and production. Obama will also create an energy-focused Green Jobs Corps to connect disconnected and disadvantaged youth with job skills for a high-growth industry.

Convert our Manufacturing Centers into Clean Technology Leaders: Obama will establish a federal investment program to help manufacturing centers modernize and Americans learn the new skills they need to produce green products.

Clean Technologies Deployment Venture Capital Fund: Obama will create a Clean Technologies Venture Capital Fund to fill a critical gap in U.S. technology development. Obama will invest $10 billion per year into this fund for five years. The fund will partner with existing investment funds and our National Laboratories to ensure that promising technologies move beyond the lab and are commercialized in the U.S

Require 25 Percent of Renewable Electricity by 2025: Obama will establish a 25 percent federal Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) to require that 25 percent of electricity consumed in the U.S. is derived from clean, sustainable energy sources, like solar, wind and geothermal by 2025.

Develop and Deploy Clean Coal Technology: Obama will significantly increase the resources devoted to the commercialization and deployment of low-carbon coal technologies. Obama will consider whatever policy tools are necessary, including standards that ban new traditional coal facilities, to ensure that we move quickly to commercialize and deploy low carbon coal technology.

Deploy Cellulosic Ethanol: Obama will invest federal resources, including tax incentives, cash prizes and government contracts into developing the most promising technologies with the goal of getting the first two billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol into the system by 2013.

Expand Locally-Owned Biofuel Refineries: Less than 10 percent of new ethanol production today is from farmer-owned refineries. New ethanol refineries help jumpstart rural economies. Obama will create a number of incentives for local communities to invest in their biofuels refineries.
    Establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard: Barack Obama will establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard to speed the introduction of low-carbon non-petroleum fuels. The standard requires fuels suppliers to reduce the carbon their fuel emits by ten percent by 2020.

Increase Renewable Fuel Standard: Obama will require 36 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be included in the fuel supply by 2022 and will increase that to at least 60 billion gallons of advanced biofuels like cellulosic ethanol by 2030.

Obama's plan will reduce oil consumption by at least 35 percent, or 10 million barrels per day, by 2030. This will more than offset the equivalent of the oil we would import from OPEC nations in 2030.

Increase Fuel Economy Standards: Obama will double fuel economy standards within 18 years. His plan will provide retooling tax credits and loan guarantees for domestic auto plants and parts manufacturers, so that they can build new fuel-efficient cars rather than overseas companies. Obama will also invest in advanced vehicle technology such as advanced lightweight materials and new engines.

Set National Building Efficiency Goals: Barack Obama will establish a goal of making all new buildings carbon neutral, or produce zero emissions, by 2030. He'll also establish a national goal of improving new building efficiency by 50 percent and existing building efficiency by 25 percent over the next decade to help us meet the 2030 goal.

Establish a Grant Program for Early Adopters: Obama will create a competitive grant program to award those states and localities that take the first steps to implement new building codes that prioritize energy efficiency.
    Invest in a Digital Smart Grid: Obama will pursue a major investment in our utility grid to enable a tremendous increase in renewable generation and accommodate modern energy requirements, such as reliability, smart metering, and distributed storage

Create New Forum of Largest Greenhouse Gas Emitters: Obama will create a Global Energy Forum — that includes all G-8 members plus Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa –the largest energy consuming nations from both the developed and developing world. The forum would focus exclusively on global energy and environmental issues.

Re-Engage with the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change: The UNFCCC process is the main international forum dedicated to addressing the climate problem and an Obama administration will work constructively within it.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2588145]Details from Obama's Campaign site:

The Problem
    Foreign Oil: America's 20-million-barrel-a-day oil habit costs our economy $1.4 billion a day, and $500 billion in 2006 alone. Every single hour, we spend $41 million on foreign oil.

Climate Change: As a result of climate change, glaciers are melting faster; the polar ice caps are shrinking; trees are blooming earlier; more people are dying in heat waves; species are migrating, and eventually many will become extinct.

Barack Obama's Plan
    Cap and Trade: Obama supports implementation of a market-based cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions by the amount scientists say is necessary: 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. Obama's cap-and-trade system will require all pollution credits to be auctioned. A 100 percent auction ensures that all polluters pay for every ton of emissions they release, rather than giving these emission rights away to coal and oil companies. Some of the revenue generated by auctioning allowances will be used to support the development of clean energy, to invest in energy efficiency improvements, and to address transition costs, including helping American workers affected by this economic transition.
    Confront Deforestation and Promote Carbon Sequestration: Obama will develop domestic incentives that reward forest owners, farmers, and ranchers when they plant trees, restore grasslands, or undertake farming practices that capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Invest $150 Billion over 10 Years in Clean Energy: Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid. A principal focus of this fund will be devoted to ensuring that technologies that are developed in the U.S. are rapidly commercialized in the U.S. and deployed around the globe.

Double Energy Research and Development Funding: Obama will double science and research funding for clean energy projects including those that make use of our biomass, solar and wind resources.
    Invest in a Skilled Clean Technologies Workforce: Obama will use proceeds from the cap-and-trade auction program to invest in job training and transition programs to help workers and industries adapt to clean technology development and production. Obama will also create an energy-focused Green Jobs Corps to connect disconnected and disadvantaged youth with job skills for a high-growth industry.

Convert our Manufacturing Centers into Clean Technology Leaders: Obama will establish a federal investment program to help manufacturing centers modernize and Americans learn the new skills they need to produce green products.

Clean Technologies Deployment Venture Capital Fund: Obama will create a Clean Technologies Venture Capital Fund to fill a critical gap in U.S. technology development. Obama will invest $10 billion per year into this fund for five years. The fund will partner with existing investment funds and our National Laboratories to ensure that promising technologies move beyond the lab and are commercialized in the U.S

Require 25 Percent of Renewable Electricity by 2025: Obama will establish a 25 percent federal Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) to require that 25 percent of electricity consumed in the U.S. is derived from clean, sustainable energy sources, like solar, wind and geothermal by 2025.

Develop and Deploy Clean Coal Technology: Obama will significantly increase the resources devoted to the commercialization and deployment of low-carbon coal technologies. Obama will consider whatever policy tools are necessary, including standards that ban new traditional coal facilities, to ensure that we move quickly to commercialize and deploy low carbon coal technology.

Deploy Cellulosic Ethanol: Obama will invest federal resources, including tax incentives, cash prizes and government contracts into developing the most promising technologies with the goal of getting the first two billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol into the system by 2013.

Expand Locally-Owned Biofuel Refineries: Less than 10 percent of new ethanol production today is from farmer-owned refineries. New ethanol refineries help jumpstart rural economies. Obama will create a number of incentives for local communities to invest in their biofuels refineries.
    Establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard: Barack Obama will establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard to speed the introduction of low-carbon non-petroleum fuels. The standard requires fuels suppliers to reduce the carbon their fuel emits by ten percent by 2020.

Increase Renewable Fuel Standard: Obama will require 36 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be included in the fuel supply by 2022 and will increase that to at least 60 billion gallons of advanced biofuels like cellulosic ethanol by 2030.

Obama's plan will reduce oil consumption by at least 35 percent, or 10 million barrels per day, by 2030. This will more than offset the equivalent of the oil we would import from OPEC nations in 2030.

Increase Fuel Economy Standards: Obama will double fuel economy standards within 18 years. His plan will provide retooling tax credits and loan guarantees for domestic auto plants and parts manufacturers, so that they can build new fuel-efficient cars rather than overseas companies. Obama will also invest in advanced vehicle technology such as advanced lightweight materials and new engines.

Set National Building Efficiency Goals: Barack Obama will establish a goal of making all new buildings carbon neutral, or produce zero emissions, by 2030. He'll also establish a national goal of improving new building efficiency by 50 percent and existing building efficiency by 25 percent over the next decade to help us meet the 2030 goal.

Establish a Grant Program for Early Adopters: Obama will create a competitive grant program to award those states and localities that take the first steps to implement new building codes that prioritize energy efficiency.
    Invest in a Digital Smart Grid: Obama will pursue a major investment in our utility grid to enable a tremendous increase in renewable generation and accommodate modern energy requirements, such as reliability, smart metering, and distributed storage

Create New Forum of Largest Greenhouse Gas Emitters: Obama will create a Global Energy Forum — that includes all G-8 members plus Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa –the largest energy consuming nations from both the developed and developing world. The forum would focus exclusively on global energy and environmental issues.

Re-Engage with the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change: The UNFCCC process is the main international forum dedicated to addressing the climate problem and an Obama administration will work constructively within it.[/QUOTE]

sorry, but for the Obama detractors that is just empty rhetoric.....there is no substance to this plan..he is too general and vague...Obama has no plan.....

[QUOTE=piney;2588161]sorry, but for the Obama detractors that is just empty rhetoric.....there is no substance to this plan..he is too general and vague...Obama has no plan.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah don't worry McCain has a plan to stop those dirty speculators

[url]http://www.reason.com/blog/show/127066.html[/url]

Aren't conservatives supposed to be in favor of free market?