Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Politics of Fear" must stop! It's beneath us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Politics of Fear" must stop! It's beneath us.

Washington, Lincoln, and both Roosevelts could have used it and didn't.

McCain just might win this election based on it. If McCain wins an election based on fear, isnt this what Hitler did? (warning Germans about the Jews and communists) Isn't this what Mussolini did? (warning Italians about the Communists and Bureaucrats) Isn't this what Castro did? (warning Cubans about the Americans and the Capitalists) Isn't this what Mao Zedong did? (warning about the Nationalists and "warlords") Isn't this what '04 Bush did? (warning about the decline of the heterosexual married couple and liberal "tax and spend")

Well, it works - that's for sure.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2595767]Washington, Lincoln, and both Roosevelts could have used it and didn't.[/QUOTE]

FDR locked up innocent Japaneese American Citizens without cause. If THAT isn't "politics of fear", I don't know what is. It's was also a fundemantal breach of American Citizen rights far beyond anything George Bush has done.

I can appreciate your sentiment, but it's historical accuracy is quite questionable.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2595787]FDR locked up innocent Japaneese American Citizens without cause. If THAT isn't "politics of fear", I don't know what is. It's was also a fundemantal breach of American Citizen rights far beyond anything George Bush has done.

I can appreciate your sentiment, but it's historical accuracy is quite questionable.[/QUOTE]

Japanese Americans AND Italian Americans. No one ever remembers that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2595787]FDR locked up innocent Japaneese American Citizens without cause. If THAT isn't "politics of fear", I don't know what is.
    I can appreciate your sentiment, but it's historical accuracy is quite questionable.[/QUOTE]

Go get a history book...

FDR did that in a declared time of war. The "war of terror" is not a declared war. End of story.

PS - Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the civil war and Wilson allowed for the profiling of German-Americans during WWI. Youre just trying to counter me here hoping my overall argument will be lost. Nice try.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2595820]Japanese Americans AND Italian Americans. No one ever remembers that.[/QUOTE]

Italian Americans were persecuted (in small numbers in Boston and NY) in the 1920's when we closed out borders to most immigrants. The ones we let in were mainly supposed potential victims of Mussolini in southern Italy and many feared that southern Italians would have greater trouble assimilating than northern Italians. A valid point since the level of education of southern Italians was seriously lacking at the time.

Italian Americans were not persecuted at all after the attack of Pearl Harbor because Fiorello LaGuardia was such a popular figure at the time. Popular entertainers like Sinatra and Costello etc. were seen as Americans more than Italians. Italian-Americans were recruited into the armed forces in the same numbers as other ethnic groups in WWII. The 20 years between 1920 and 1940 made a big difference.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2595787]FDR locked up innocent Japaneese American Citizens without cause. If THAT isn't "politics of fear", I don't know what is. It's was also a fundemantal breach of American Citizen rights far beyond anything George Bush has done.

HEY all the japanese were reimbursed with $20000 dollars of cash money

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2595869]Italian Americans were persecuted (in small numbers in Boston and NY) in the 1920's when we closed out borders to most immigrants. The ones we let in were mainly supposed potential victims of Mussolini in southern Italy and many feared that southern Italians would have greater trouble assimilating than northern Italians. A valid point since the level of education of southern Italians was seriously lacking at the time.

Italian Americans were not persecuted at all after the attack of Pearl Harbor because Fiorello LaGuardia was such a popular figure at the time. Popular entertainers like Sinatra and Costello etc. were seen as Americans more than Italians. Italian-Americans were recruited into the armed forces in the same numbers as other ethnic groups in WWII. The 20 years between 1920 and 1940 made a big difference.[/QUOTE]

From Wikipedia:

During World War II, thousands of Italian Americans as well as thousands of Italian Canadians were put in internment camps on American and Canadian soil, along with Japanese Americans, German Americans, and ethnic Germans from Latin America. Thousands more were placed under surveillance or had their property repossessed by the government. Joe DiMaggio's father, who lived in San Francisco, had his boat and house confiscated. One official[who?] stated that if it had not been for Joe DiMaggio's status as a celebrity baseball player, his father would most likely have been sent to an internment camp. Countless Italian owned businesses in North America were vandalised and boycotted during this period. Many of Italian origin were phyisically assaulted and intimidated. Unlike the Japanese Americans, Italian Americans and Italian Canadians have never received reparations, even though President Bill Clinton made a public declaration admitting the US government's misjudgement in the internment. [16]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2595860]FDR did that in a declared time of war. The "war of terror" is not a declared war. End of story.

PS - Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the civil war and Wilson allowed for the profiling of German-Americans during WWI. Youre just trying to counter me here hoping my overall argument will be lost. Nice try.[/QUOTE]
    So it's only a war when you can patronize the families of lost servicemen, then?

Quit splitting hairs and start practicing what you preach, ie. picking up history books. pauliec is schooling you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2595908]

Quit splitting hairs and start practicing what you preach, ie. picking up history books. pauliec is schooling you.[/QUOTE]

Pauliec doesnt have a masters degree in American History. He hasnt taught the subject for 2 decades. What are his qualifications? Wikopedia??? I tell my students to NEVER use that site where 20% of the information is blatantly false. It is NOT an encyclopedia.

Pauliec is rather extreme in his positions on almost everything. You concur with him. Therefore, in your eyes, he's "right" (pun intended) while most other are "wrong".
    Last edited by Jetman73; 06-22-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2595885]From Wikipedia:

During World War II, thousands of Italian Americans as well as thousands of Italian Canadians were put in internment camps on American and Canadian soil, along with Japanese Americans, German Americans, and ethnic Germans from Latin America. Thousands more were placed under surveillance or had their property repossessed by the government. Joe DiMaggio's father, who lived in San Francisco, had his boat and house confiscated. One official[who?] stated that if it had not been for Joe DiMaggio's status as a celebrity baseball player, his father would most likely have been sent to an internment camp. Countless Italian owned businesses in North America were vandalised and boycotted during this period. Many of Italian origin were phyisically assaulted and intimidated. Unlike the Japanese Americans, Italian Americans and Italian Canadians have never received reparations, even though President Bill Clinton made a public declaration admitting the US government's misjudgement in the internment. [16][/QUOTE]

Only Italians make this very weak argument about persecution after the 20's. I know, I have Italian relatives. Wikopedia is a poor source for any information and is NOT an encyclopedia.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2595974]Pauliec doesnt have a masters degree in American History. He hasnt taught the subject for 2 decades. What are his qualifications? Wikopedia??? I tell my students to NEVER use that site where 20% of the information is blatantly false. It is NOT an encyclopedia.

Pauliec is rather extreme in his positions on almost everything. You concur with him. Therefore, in your eyes, he's "right" (pun intended) while most other are "wrong".[/QUOTE]

Wait... you're a teacher too???

I should have known when you drew parallels to Hitler, Mussolini, Castro, Mao, and Bush. Typical liberal elitist drivel. Ignore history, bash Bush, indoctrinate students.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 06-22-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2595978]Only Italians make this very weak argument about persecution after the 20's. I know, I have Italian relatives. Wikopedia is a poor source for any information and is NOT an encyclopedia.[/QUOTE]

You're obviously the master on this subject, what with your Italian relatives and all. My mistake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2596145]You're obviously the master on this subject, what with your Italian relatives and all. My mistake.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Jetman on this PaulieC. Yes perhaps you have relatives who have individual stories to corroborate what they say, but as a teacher you must teach what is told to you by the textbook. Much of history is determined by who wins wars, not by what actually happened.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2596152]I have to agree with Jetman on this PaulieC. Yes perhaps you have relatives who have individual stories to corroborate what they say, but as a teacher you must teach what is told to you by the textbook. Much of history is determined by who wins wars, not by what actually happened.[/QUOTE]

I don't know of any textbooks that tell how Hitler and Castro were elected in the same fashion as Bush.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2596155]I don't know of any textbooks that tell how Hitler and Castro were elected in the same fashion as Bush.[/QUOTE]

Oh that, no, he's very wrong there. In fact it's quite an idiotic statement. I was referring to the treatment of Italians.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2596142]Wait... you're a teacher too???

I should have known when you drew parallels to Hitler, Mussolini, Castro, Mao, and Bush. Typical liberal elitist drivel. Ignore history, bash Bush, indoctrinate students.[/QUOTE]

What are you straight from a 1952 Superman episode? A teacher teaches all perspectives and have students make their own conclusions.

Obviously, you wouldnt do that if you were a teacher.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2596155]I don't know of any textbooks that tell how Hitler and Castro were elected in the same fashion as Bush.[/QUOTE]

A teacher reads books on all of the above and makes comparisons. I could write one on the above. Do you want me to?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2596168]What are you straight from a 1952 Superman episode? A teacher teaches all perspectives and have students make their own conclusions.

Obviously, you wouldnt do that if you were a teacher.[/QUOTE]

All perspectives, or your perspective?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetman73;2596169]A teacher reads books on all of the above and makes comparisons. I could write one on the above. Do you want me to?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I want you to write a book detailing how Hitler and Bush are so similar. Do it now. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Rebublicans cant hold a candle to the Democrats with Global Warming, we are defeated in Iraq. I was watching the Day after Tomorrow last evening and and every commercial was about man causing Global Warming and even hints that man caused the last ice age. What BS! Oh BTW who wants a windmill in their backyard?