Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put oil firm chiefs on trial, says leading climate change scientist

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Put oil firm chiefs on trial, says leading climate change scientist

Ed Pilkington in New York The Guardian, Monday June 23, 2008 Article history

James Hansen, one of the world's leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature, accusing them of actively spreading doubt about global warming in the same way that tobacco companies blurred the links between smoking and cancer.

Hansen will use the symbolically charged 20th anniversary of his groundbreaking speech (pdf) to the US Congress - in which he was among the first to sound the alarm over the reality of global warming - to argue that radical steps need to be taken immediately if the "perfect storm" of irreversible climate change is not to become inevitable.

Speaking before Congress again, he will accuse the chief executive officers of companies such as ExxonMobil and Peabody Energy [B]of being fully aware of the disinformation about climate change they are spreading. [/B]

In an interview with the Guardian he said: [B]"When you are in that kind of position, as the CEO of one the primary players who have been putting out misinformation even via organisations that affect what gets into school textbooks, then I think that's a crime."[/B]

He is also considering personally targeting members of Congress who have a poor track record on climate change in the coming November elections. He will campaign to have several of them unseated. Hansen's speech to Congress on June 23 1988 is seen as a seminal moment in bringing the threat of global warming to the public's attention. At a time when most scientists were still hesitant to speak out, he said the evidence of the greenhouse gas effect was 99% certain, adding "it is time to stop waffling".

He will tell the House select committee on energy independence and global warming this afternoon that he is now 99% certain that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has already risen beyond the safe level.

The current concentration is 385 parts per million and is rising by 2ppm a year. Hansen, who heads Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, says 2009 will be a crucial year, with a new US president and talks on how to follow the Kyoto agreement.

He wants to see a moratorium on new coal-fired power plants, coupled with the creation of a huge grid of low-loss electric power lines buried under ground and spread across America, in order to give wind and solar power a chance of competing. "The new US president would have to take the initiative analogous to Kennedy's decision to go to the moon."

His sharpest words are reserved for the special interests he blames for public confusion about the nature of the global warming threat. "The problem is not political will, it's the alligator shoes - the lobbyists. [SIZE="4"][B]It's the fact that money talks in Washington, and that democracy is not working the way it's intended to work."[/B][/SIZE]

A group seeking to increase pressure on international leaders is launching a campaign today called 350.org. It is taking out full-page adverts in papers such as the New York Times and the Swedish Falukuriren calling for the target level of CO2 to be lowered to 350ppm. The advert has been backed by 150 signatories, including Hansen.

[url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/23/fossilfuels.climatechange/print[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    School's out for the summer I see. Can't wait for Labor Day.;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2596908]School's out for the summer I see. Can't wait for Labor Day.;)[/QUOTE]

You are very correct on that, my friend. I got out on the 18th actually. :yes::yes::yes:

Its nice to still be a kid in some ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2596913]You are very correct on that, my friend. I got out on the 18th actually. :yes::yes::yes:

Its nice to still be a kid in some ways.[/QUOTE]

Friggin' teacher's unions!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If all the scientist who are worried about global climate change came up with an alternate fuel this would be a none issue. When someone can figure out how we are going to deal with increased demand for energy with new technologies I'm all for it. Until than we are going to have to balance the risk of man made climate change against desolving the current civilized society we currently live in. That prospect might also have an impact on our future.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2596903]James Hansen, one of the world's leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Obama's first term of Liberal Hope & Change.

Hope you enjoy it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    totally ridiculous.....

all we really have to do is probably set up a minimum MPG regulation on car manufacturers....

then hopefully that subsides us long enough to enable the free market to decide what direction we are going to go...

I mean, jeez, I already see car commercials that emphasize the MPG rate of the car over anything else...

and I think people will probably do what I am doing, figure out what will save them the most money..

I mean, I am going to become a new homeowner in a month or so and I am already looking into solar panels and geothermal energy...just for the price break alone....

with the subsidies and tax breaks I will receive along with utilizing an EIM (energy improvement mortgage) this will require no money out of pocket and lower monthly expenses even when you factor in my increased mortgage payment...

now I am not [I]that smart[/I], so I can't be the only person doing this.....and the more oil goes up, the more people will realize the benefits of using alternative sources.....

this should not require massive government intrusion...just a tweak here or there to get us in the right direction....incentives and some very minor enforcements...like what I said at the top; regulate the efficiency of automobiles and just allow the free market to do the rest....maybe see if we can get in on Brazil's sugarcane.....
    Last edited by piney; 06-23-2008 at 12:22 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2597262]all we really have to do is probably set up a minimum MPG regulation on car manufacturers....

then hopefully that subsides us long enough to enable the free market to decide what direction we are going to go...[/QUOTE]

An excellent idea. I can easily support doing this, over a reasonable and realistic period of time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2596903]Ed Pilkington in New York The Guardian, Monday June 23, 2008 Article history

[B][U]James Hansen[/U][/B], one of the world's leading climate scientists...[/QUOTE]

You can pretty much stop reading right there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, why are so many democrats against domestic drilling and building new refineries?

I've never really heard a good argument.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2597357]By the way, why are so many democrats against domestic drilling and building new refineries?

I've never really heard a good argument.[/QUOTE]

If we get more oil out of Opec, it doesn't warm the earth as fast.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put everybody on trial, that's what I say. Certainly everyone has done SOMETHING wrong.

When do Pelosi, Bush and Bernanke go on trial for high oil prices? When do I go on trial for high oil prices simply because I bought a call option on the USO a while ago and I guess I'm now a "speculator"? LOL.

And when did "speculator" become a dirty word? Only when oil prices started going up???

LOL. "What a country!" (Y. Smirnoff)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2597357]By the way, why are so many democrats against domestic drilling and building new refineries?

It might kill some rare spotted parakeet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple REALLY good arguments.

1) No one is against new refineries. the oil companies aren't building them.

2) Domestic Drilling will have no affect on prices in the near term.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2597430]Here's a couple REALLY good arguments.

1) No one is against new refineries. the oil companies aren't building them.

2) Domestic Drilling will have no affect on prices in the near term.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with (1) if that's the case. The second argument is extremely weak, IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point, its like buying a really primo VHS player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2597439]At this point, its like buying a really primo VHS player.[/QUOTE]

That would be a good analogy if 99.9999999 percent of the US used VHS players.

A lot of products besides cars, trucks, and SUV's use petroleum. For example, that keyboard you are typing with.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2597438]Can't argue with (1) if that's the case. The second argument is extremely weak, IMO.[/QUOTE]

what's weak about math? the USA as a whole has only 3% of world oil reserves. There's no way to drill ourselves out of this problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2597468]what's weak about math? the USA as a whole has only 3% of world oil reserves. There's no way to drill ourselves out of this problem.[/QUOTE]

We don't know that we don't even know what the entire worlds oil reserves are.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who hate oil and want more alternative energy investment, this is your golden age! The only thing that would help more is $7/gallon gas in the U.S.

The worst thing would be watching prices retreat and settle back under $4....complacency will set in again.