Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Playing on our Fears to Win an Election?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing on our Fears to Win an Election?

[B][SIZE="4"]McCain disavows aide's comment about terrorism[/SIZE][/B]
    By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mccain_terrorism&printer=1;_ylt=Aihjt4jX.YmD5mtsprUKOM9h24cA[/url]

John McCain distanced himself Monday [B]from a top adviser who said another terrorist attack on the United States in this election year would benefit the Republican presidential candidate.[/B]

Charlie Black, an adviser already in the spotlight for his past lobbying work, is quoted in the upcoming July 7 edition of Fortune magazine as saying such an attack [B]"certainly would be a big advantage to him.[/B]"

Black is also quoted as saying the "unfortunate event" of the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto earlier this year "helped us."

McCain was questioned about Black's comments during a news conference.

"I cannot imagine why he would say it; it's not true," the Arizona senator said. "I've worked tirelessly since 9/11 to prevent anther attack on the United States of America. My record is very clear."

Citing his work to establish a commission to investigate the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the United States, as well as his membership on the Senate Armed Services Committee, McCain added: "I cannot imagine it, and so, if he said that and I don't know the context I strenuously disagree."

Black, interviewed by reporters as he stood outside McCain's fundraiser, said: "I deeply regret the comments. They were inappropriate. I recognize that John McCain has devoted his entire adult life to protecting his country and placing its security before every other consideration."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that McCain was not happy about this comment and was not behind it in any way. But are some in the republican party attempting to win another election on the politics of fear?

I am not trying to start a conspiracy thread as I do not believe any sain person is rooting for another attack. But under the surface of this moron's comments comes a familiar theme (see 2004 election); [I]"Be afraid, be very afraid. And only the strong republicans can protect us from armageddon."[/I]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2597870]I believe that McCain was not happy about this comment and was not behind it in any way. But are some in the republican party attempting to win another election on the politics of fear?

I am not trying to start a conspiracy thread as I do not believe any sain person is rooting for another attack. But under the surface of this moron's comments comes a familiar theme (see 2004 election); [I]"Be afraid, be very afraid. And only the strong republicans can protect us from armageddon."[/I][/QUOTE]

If republicans want to use fear, why use terrorism. Just point out what Obama plans to do, if elected. His plans scare the crap out of me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2597870]I believe that McCain was not happy about this comment and was not behind it in any way. But are some in the republican party attempting to win another election on the politics of fear?

I am not trying to start a conspiracy thread as I do not believe any sain person is rooting for another attack. But under the surface of this moron's comments comes a familiar theme (see 2004 election); [I]"Be afraid, be very afraid. And only the strong republicans can protect us from armageddon."[/I][/QUOTE]
    Every 4 years Democrats announce that it's the most important election in history - with so much riding at stake - and so much to lose if the Republicans win. Just Google the Hollywood election season hyperbole for supporting context. All fear. Maybe it's a loser...but it's anything but a Republican monopoly. (George Bush...will poison the water! starve children! flood cities! etc.)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Two things:
    1-Any sane person knows the terrorists won't attack b/4 the election b/c they know that will help McC and they're rooting for Obama!

2-Neither the 'rats or the 'pubs will be able to save us from armageddon!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2597863][B][SIZE="4"]McCain disavows aide's comment about terrorism[/SIZE][/B]
    By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mccain_terrorism&printer=1;_ylt=Aihjt4jX.YmD5mtsprUKOM9h24cA[/url]

John McCain distanced himself Monday [B]from a top adviser who said another terrorist attack on the United States in this election year would benefit the Republican presidential candidate.[/B]

Charlie Black, an adviser already in the spotlight for his past lobbying work, is quoted in the upcoming July 7 edition of Fortune magazine as saying such an attack [B]"certainly would be a big advantage to him.[/B]"

Black is also quoted as saying the "unfortunate event" of the assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto earlier this year "helped us."

McCain was questioned about Black's comments during a news conference.

"I cannot imagine why he would say it; it's not true," the Arizona senator said. "I've worked tirelessly since 9/11 to prevent anther attack on the United States of America. My record is very clear."

Citing his work to establish a commission to investigate the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the United States, as well as his membership on the Senate Armed Services Committee, McCain added: "I cannot imagine it, and so, if he said that and I don't know the context I strenuously disagree."

Black, interviewed by reporters as he stood outside McCain's fundraiser, said: "I deeply regret the comments. They were inappropriate. I recognize that John McCain has devoted his entire adult life to protecting his country and placing its security before every other consideration."[/QUOTE]

what this basically tells you is that oth campaigns have people who are pretty stupid, and who say and do stupid things.

Obama and McCain may have very competent teams working on their campaigns but they are just horrible public speakers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2597888]If republicans want to use fear, why use terrorism. Just point out what Obama plans to do, if elected. His plans scare the crap out of me.[/QUOTE]

An absolutely correct statement. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember that whole "Vote or Die!" slogan? Wasn't a GOP slogan, if I remember correctly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa;2598126]Two things:
    1-Any sane person knows the terrorists won't attack b/4 the election b/c they know that will help McC and they're rooting for Obama!

[/QUOTE]

Yes and no.

You are right in that AQ et al closely monitor the politics of democracies they attack.

That said, in 2004, Bin Laden released a tape very close to our election date, and it indeed made terrorism a front and center issue in the waning days of the race, which seemed to help Bush. Clearly the release was designed to impact our elections, and its hard to imagine such a tape helping John Kerry.

I'm an Obama supporter, so you can take this with a grain of salt if you want, but I think Obama as president is last thing these guys would ever want. They need the president of the U.S. to be viewed as a villain for their own propoganda purposes.

If you've seen the tenor of the coverage of Obama abroad, you know that he's enormously popular worldwide and would clearly have an overwhelmingly positive impact on America's image abroad and, I would argue, would as a result enhance its "soft power." The last thing Al Qaeda wants is an American president who is popular abroad.

John McCain won't be, because his foreign policy is indistinguishable from Bush's at this point. Obama clearly will be, and that's one of the more appealing things about his candidacy, imo.