Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets continue to get no respect (Bullock)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets continue to get no respect (Bullock)

Jets Continue to Get No Respect
    Posted by Bob Bullock
    Categories: News
    I shouldn't expect it to be any different, but I keep waiting to get some favorable feedback for Gang Green from someone, anyone. Unfortunately, it never seems to be the case.

So far, I've already read in Lindy's 2008 Football Preview that the Jets will finish 4th in the AFC East. That's right, 4th place BEHIND a FISH team that is building from the ground up and a Bills team that still has quite a few holes. That doesn't seem to matter though, because the Jets will be in last place according to all the "experts".

Next, I hear on ESPN radio that the FISH should equal its win total from last season in week one, when they defeat the Jets. What that prediction is based on I have no idea, other than the fact that the Jets are just expected to be bad...AGAIN.

It seems to me that it doesn't even matter who is lining up for the Green and White. Just being the Jets is good enough for everyone to pick the team to finish last. When the front office makes a move it is considered "being desperate". When they fail to make a move it is an organization that didn't address a major need area.

Plain and simple, it is just the Jets being, well, the Jets. A team with little or no expectations for the coming season, as it is just about every year. Perhaps it is because the years the team is picked to do well, which is VERY rare mind you, they end up falling way short of those predictions.

Whatever the case may be, we should all just expect to have negativity thrown at us from all angles as the season approaches. Be it lack of respect, lack of expectations, lack of a championship since 1969, or just lack of consistency from the entire organization, Gang Green is always viewed as a "sister of the poor" franchise.

The team needs to earn the respect, which is the only way out of this perception from the outside world. It is the reason the Jets' players have a very difficult time making the Pro Bowl. It is a perception that these players don't deserve the right to go to Hawaii. Just like the team doesn't deserve the right to be considered a solid playoff team, even though the players listed on the roster says differently.

I know we should all be used to it by now, but each season it gets more and more frustrating. We also all know the only way to change that perception will be by winning a championship. That will be the only way to change it, the only way for Gang Green to be viewed in a different light.

Ok, that ends my poor, poor, pitiful Jets campaign that I felt it necessary to write today.

The team ended minicamp and checked out the new practice facility. The Jets will move in at some point during this year's training camp.

In other notes, CBS Sportsline ranked both the D-Lines and O-Lines around the league. The Jets finished 19th overall, with the O-Line ranking 14th and the D-Line coming in at 22.

The Chris Baker story continues, thanks to the media folks who have very little to write about at this point. It is nice to read the posts from around the web though, most of you are smart enough to be against Baker. Although the front office should have never let this get out of hand, as I mentioned on my last post. Just dump this guy fast please; it's Chris "freakin''" Baker for goodness sake, not some perennial pro bowler!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am dumping this. This was posted about a month ago.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod View Post

Well, the article was just as good today as it was a month ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it, basically the Jets have been a decent franchise since Parcells took over in 97. Over the last 11 seasons the Jets have had 5 playoff seasons (98,01,02,04,06) three non losing seasons falling just short of the playoffs (97,99,00... 97 and 00 were both 9-7 seasons, 99 was an 8-8 year) and three losing seasons (03,05,07) those are not the marks of a lousy organization. In fact, I would like to know how many teams since 97 have gone to the playoffs more than the Jets? We get no respect and yet only a handful of teams have accomplished what the Jets have accomplished over the same span of time. Playing in the shadow of the Giants hasn't helped, but the media loves to paint the Jets in this light, especially the NY media and then the rest of the nation piles on. Basically 8 solid seasons versus 3 bad ones and yet the media only focuses on the negative.

Off the top of my head:

97: 9-7
    98: 12-4*
    99- 8-8
    00- 9-7
    01- 10-6*
    02- 9-7*
    03- 6-10
    04- 10-6*
    05- 5-11
    06- 10-6*
    07- 4-12

92-84 it sounds mediocre but it's really not when you compare it to the rest of the league, not great either but a pretty solid run non the less.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see it posted here, but by all means dump it so we can continue with the who can land more fat chicks thread or how many times can you fart while holding your breath threads, God forbid a football thread should break the monotony here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I didn't see it posted here, but by all means dump it so we can continue with the who can land more fat chicks thread or how many times can you fart while holding your breath threads, God forbid a football thread should break the monotony here.
    There are quite a few more relevant football threads on the front page.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it, basically the Jets have been a decent franchise since Parcells took over in 97. Over the last 11 seasons the Jets have had 5 playoff seasons (98,01,02,04,06) three non losing seasons falling just short of the playoffs (97,99,00... 97 and 00 were both 9-7 seasons, 99 was an 8-8 year) and three losing seasons (03,05,07) those are not the marks of a lousy organization. In fact, I would like to know how many teams since 97 have gone to the playoffs more than the Jets? We get no respect and yet only a handful of teams have accomplished what the Jets have accomplished over the same span of time. Playing in the shadow of the Giants hasn't helped, but the media loves to paint the Jets in this light, especially the NY media and then the rest of the nation piles on. Basically 8 solid seasons versus 3 bad ones and yet the media only focuses on the negative.

Off the top of my head:

97: 9-7
    98: 12-4*
    99- 8-8
    00- 9-7
    01- 10-6*
    02- 9-7*
    03- 6-10
    04- 10-6*
    05- 5-11
    06- 10-6*
    07- 4-12

92-84 it sounds mediocre but it's really not when you compare it to the rest of the league, not great either but a pretty solid run non the less.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of those are more interesting than anything you post anyways

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya know the Mods here have a tough job. They don't need this kind of aggravation as well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Slik I think you are very under appreciated as a poster here, not sure why.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are quite a few more relevant football threads on the front page.

Oh yes I forgot, Letterman Ghey, Chipotle Grill, Pearl Jam, Mike and the Mad Dog, Imus, Playstation... Real relevant stuff! But I bring a football topic and you jump in right away to dump it, like I said man this thing has gone to your head. Maybe getting laid or winning at something would take the edge off your trigger happiness.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes I forgot, Letterman Ghey, Chipotle Grill, Pearl Jam, Mike and the Mad Dog, Imus, Playstation... Real relevant stuff! But I bring a football topic and you jump in right away to dump it, like I said man this thing has gone to your head. Maybe getting laid or winning at something would take the edge off your trigger happiness.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe getting laid or winning at something would take the edge off your trigger happiness.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Ya know the Mods here have a tough job. They don't need this kind of aggravation as well.
    I agree. +1

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Banning you triggers my happiness every time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then I must make you ecstatic!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LMA

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happiness is a warm gun

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Slik I think you are very under appreciated as a poster here, not sure why.

Gee... maybe cause I like to speak my damn mind? Nothing gets met here with more indifference than a Jet related post, but God forbid a "Dude I got so sh!t faced last night I threw up in my mouth three times" those are surefire winners, but only if you're in with the click. Fck that I don't come here to brown nose anyone. These abuses of power need to stop.