Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Questions

Iowa Questions

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

Where are Sean Penn and the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a vanilla Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage, complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in two weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

Hall Of Fame
    It's Iowa, that's why.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Maybe the countries we aided during their disasters (tsunami, China quake, etc) will reciprocate :rolleyes:

Veteran
    All good questions dude. It's sad.:huh:

[QUOTE=KellenIsTheFuture;2599824]It's Iowa, that's why.[/QUOTE]

Exactly....But people care about that crime ridden city that should have been cleaned out years before the storm.....

All League
    It's because Iowans aren't busy blaming everything else except the whether for this happening.

It's because Iowans are willing to help each other in these tough times. A

It's because Iowans aren't sitting on their hands waiting for all those things you mentioned to happen. We're too busy busting our asses to do everything in our power to make this situation better.

And to the original poster, great post man. We'll be back to normal before long due to the collective effort of one state, with some government money, of course.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 06-24-2008 at 10:20 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;2599807]Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a vanilla Iowa, because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage, complete with reports of cannibalism?

How come in two weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?[/QUOTE]

Did you ask yourself how many people perished in these floods? (please research that) And if this anywhere near the disaster katrina was? answer those questions first

Hall Of Fame
    It's because segments of our country have become dependent upon government handouts, which keeps them impoverished and a reliable Democrat voting block. They have become dependent on the free government cheese.
    There is a saying, give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. It's time to teach men to fish.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;2599862]It's because Iowans aren't busy blaming everything else except the whether for this happening.

It's because Iowans aren't sitting on their hands waiting for all those things you mentioned to happen. We're too busy busting our asses to do everything in our power to make this situation better.

And to the original poster, great post man. We'll be back to normal before long due to the collective effort of one state, with some government money, of course.[/QUOTE]

good luck and God Speed to you and all of your fellow Iowans.

Great thread. I was thinking this myself as the situation became worse and worse.

[QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;2599862]It's because Iowans aren't busy blaming everything else except the whether for this happening.

And to the original poster, great post man. We'll be back to normal before long due to the collective effort of one state, with some government money, of course.[/QUOTE]

Good luck, I just sent three guys from my office out to Iowa to volunteer and work with FEMA setting up the disaster recovery centers.
    At least i don't have to worry about them getting shot at for water or just trying to help like when they were down in that hell whole.

[QUOTE=BRONX JET;2599904]Did you ask yourself how many people perished in these floods? (please research that) And if this anywhere near the disaster katrina was? answer those questions first[/QUOTE]

So because people were dying is why people were looting and killing each other???answer that.

And yes, land wise this flood covers more of an area, and the waters haven't even went down in most places yet to see how many people are missing. I guess I need to mention all the farmers that lost everything they and there families have worked lifetimes to build and build honestly....When all said and done this will be way worse than New Orleans money wise.

All League
    The floods in Iowa are a true tragedy, but the comparison is ridiculous.. And i really dont see areason for a comparision.

Why not just help or pray for the best?

I believe 12 people died, and some reports have the toll in Katrina well over 3,000. two events that couldnt be more different.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;2599944]So because people were dying is why people were looting and killing each other???answer that.

And yes, land wise this flood covers more of an area, and the waters haven't even went down in most places yet to see how many people are missing. I guess I need to mention all the farmers that lost everything they and there families have worked lifetimes to build and build honestly....When all said and done this will be way worse than New Orleans money wise.[/QUOTE]

So we should all try to donate because this will not only be detriment to the farmers, but to the entire nation. I would also say money can be replaced.

But i still maintain the comparision is mindless. and i dont get the motivation.

[QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;2599807]Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

How come in two weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;2599944]So because people were dying is why people were looting and killing each other???answer that.

And yes, land wise this flood covers more of an area, and the waters haven't even went down in most places yet to see how many people are missing. I guess I need to mention all the farmers that lost everything they and there families have worked lifetimes to build and build honestly....When all said and done this will be way worse than New Orleans money wise.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;2599915]Good luck, I just sent three guys from my office out to Iowa to volunteer and work with FEMA setting up the disaster recovery centers.
    At least i don't have to worry about them getting shot at for water or just trying to help like when they were down in that hell whole.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you stop tip toeing around what you want to say and just say it...
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-24-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetsfaninCO;2599807]

How come in two weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?

[/QUOTE]

Because over 2,000 people perished because of Katrina and 12 deaths have been reported in the Iowa flooding so far.

How can you possibly compare these two events?

[QUOTE=BRONX JET;2599973]So we should all try to donate because this will not only be detriment to the farmers, but to the entire nation. I would also say money can be replaced.

But i still maintain the comparision is mindless. and i dont get the motivation.[/QUOTE]

Does it say anywhere in the post that more people died in IOWA...

They were just questions I was thinking about and I bet a lot of others are thinking the same thing.

So are you saying that if the Bronx or another big city flooded to the capacity that is going on n Iowa and the other states, but ONLY 12 people died that all the celebs wouldn't be coming out of the wood work to help and want to know why W let the rivers overflow into the city....

I guess i shouldn't start these threads after 1/4 bottle of Glenlevet.....

All League
    [QUOTE=BRONX JET;2599951]The floods in Iowa are a true tragedy, but the comparison is ridiculous.. And i really dont see areason for a comparision.

Why not just help or pray for the best?

I believe 12 people died, and some reports have the toll in Katrina well over 3,000. [B]two events that couldnt be more different[/B].[/QUOTE]

You're right, sort of. Did as many people die in Iowa, not even close. If that's the only thing that you base it off then no it's not even close. As much money in destroyed buildings or the sort? Nope not close either probaly.

The thing is, in Iowa, the 2 biggest towns in the state were the 2 places hardest hit, Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, the 3rd worst hit was probably Iowa City, home of the largest public University in the state.

But the absolute worst part is the well over $3 billion dollars in farm crops destroyed, and that's just crops, then you include farmland, or cattle, hogs, barnes, machinery, silos and the states biggest industry, by a long long shot, is crippled, and every single Iowan will feel the ill effects of that for sometime, and more people outside of Iowa will feel those same effects and I don't think a lot are aware.

Hurricane Katrina did not cripple New Orleans economy nearly as much as these floods will cripple Iowas.
    Last edited by HawkeyeJet; 06-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2599990]Why don't you stop tip toeing around what you want to say and just say it...[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

The comparisons are not even close. And funny enough, over 50 members from the "African American" organization at the Chicago based company I work for have used their company sponsored time to volunteer for relief efforts in Iowa and Wisconsin (And trust me, there's plenty of volunteer opportunities in Chicago). This is a tragic event that has touched many of us in the midwest.

This had nothing to do with race, but it's a great platform for people who don't know the facts to initiate race baiting tactics.

All League
    [QUOTE=iahawkeyejet;2600027]You're right, sort of. Did as many people die in Iowa, not even close. If that's the only thing that you base it off then no it's not even close. As much money in destroyed buildings or the sort? Nope not close either probaly.

The thing is, in Iowa, the 2 biggest towns in the state were the 2 places hardest hit, Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, the 3rd worst hit was probably Iowa City, home of the largest public University in the state.

But the absolute worst part is the well over $3 billion dollars in farm crops destroyed, and that's just crops, then you include farmland, or cattle, hogs, barnes, machinery, silos and the states biggest industry, by a long long shot, is crippled, and every single Iowan will feel the ill effects of that for sometime, and more people outside of Iowa will feel those same effects and I don't think a lot are aware.

Hurricane Katrina did not cripple New Orleans economy nearly as much as these floods will cripple Iowas.[/QUOTE]

So we agree because i stated before that this situation is devastating to the good people of Iowa and will be a detriment to the entire nation. But i still dont get the comparision.

And human life is always more valuable than dollars.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Wow where is this comming from
    "KellenIsTheFuture It's Iowa, that's why". Go **** yourself.
    We don't ask for handouts or expect any. My wife and I have spent the last 2 weeks sandbagging and helping the people here and we live no where near the river now we are starting to clean up after the flood and we will keep helping till we are no longer needed the amount of crops we have lost and the Mississippi being shut down for at least 7 more days trust me this entire nation will feel the the Iowa flood of 2008.