Thread: John Mccain: It would take a WWIII to institute a draft.

Hall Of Fame

John Mccain: It would take a WWIII to institute a draft.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080625/pl_nm/usa_politics_mccain_draft_dc[/url]

[I]Back to Story - Help
    McCain says only World War III would justify draft Wed Jun 25, 1:48 AM ET

Only World War III would prompt Republican presidential candidate John McCain to bring back the military draft, McCain said on Tuesday.

Many Americans are fearful the U.S. government will be forced to reinstitute the draft given the prolonged Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

Asked about that possibility by a potential voter in Florida during a telephone "town hall meeting," McCain said: "I don't know what would make a draft happen unless we were in an all-out World War III."

The United States ended its last military draft in 1973 in the waning years of the Vietnam war, moving to an all-volunteer military force.

McCain, a Vietnam veteran, said the draft during that conflict weighed most heavily on lower-income Americans, and that this should not be repeated.

"I do not believe the draft is even practicable or desirable," McCain said.

(Reporting by Steve Holland, editing by Todd Eastham)

(To read more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at [url]http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/[/url])

Copyright 2008 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

Copyright 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy [/I]

Although it seems, its possible for another World War... With many nations fueding with eachother, this veryvwell could happpen.......

Im a patriot, and willing to do whatever it takes to keep this country free..... I wasnt the biggest supporter of McCain at first, but hes grown on me... His current idea of the surge in Iraq is working! I just feel much safer with this man in office...

There is soo much tension right now, from Iran to N. Korea the list continues to grow... We need a goy who isnt afraid to go to war if we need to...

These early polls with Obama leading wont last long IMO... I just cant see McCain losing the election.........

The only way WWIII would begin would be if China attacks Taiwan. All hell would break loose.

I believe North Korea is actually dismantling their nuclear program.

Further, WWIII would includes nukes... There would really be no need for a draft with a nuclear winter overhead. But you go right ahead pushing for another war president. We'll all be MUCH safer. No doubt. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2601052]I believe North Korea is actually dismantling their nuclear program.

Further, WWIII would includes nukes... There would really be no need for a draft with a nuclear winter overhead. But you go right ahead pushing for another war president. We'll all be MUCH safer. No doubt. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That's actually what I immediately thought of. With the technology we have today with smart bombs and laser guided missiles and unmanned aircraft, would a draft really be necessary?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=49ersJetsfan;2601026]The only way WWIII would begin would be if China attacks Taiwan. All hell would break loose.[/QUOTE]

Well China is quietly get into some tension..... I still believe from my religous beliefs, that China will be the final big power with an army of 1 million men... Its in the revelations.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2601052]I believe North Korea is actually dismantling their nuclear program.

Further, WWIII would includes nukes... There would really be no need for a draft with a nuclear winter overhead. But you go right ahead pushing for another war president. We'll all be MUCH safer. No doubt. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Its not a war president..... It has to do with security..... Its funny because its just politics.. When Clinton was in office, he wasnted to continu in the war in Somalia, but the Republicans were the ones who wanted out because soldiers were dying........ Same now with the Democrats wanting out of IRAQ... Its all politics... Its stupid. Like my grandfater always said, politicians will tell you what you want to hear, its all BS... there will never be a middle ground between the 2 parties.