View Poll Results: What do you think of this development?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too high of an honor for justification

2 4.26%
  • Does not go far enough to honor his service

0 0%
  • Unhappy Sewage plant workers should strike

0 0%
  • Honor is deserved; Bush flushed the last 8 years away

10 21.28%
  • IntelligentJetsFan is a Tool, This Poll Sucks.

35 74.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: San Francisco may name sewage treatment plant after Bush

Poll: San Francisco may name sewage treatment plant after Bush

[B][SIZE="4"]San Francisco may name sewage treatment plant after Bush [/SIZE][/B]
    By Jesse McKinley
    The International Herald Tribune
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008

[url]http://www.iht.com/bin/printfriendly.php?id=13984448[/url]

SAN FRANCISCO: Reagan has his highways. Lincoln has his memorial. Washington has the capital, and a state, too. But President George W. Bush may soon be the sole president to have a memorial named after him that you can contribute to from the bathroom.

From the Department of Damned-With-Faint-Praise, a group going by the regal-sounding name of the Presidential Memorial Commission of San Francisco is planning to ask voters here to change the name of a prize-winning water-treatment plant on the shoreline to the George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

The plan - hatched, naturally, in a bar - would place a vote on the November ballot to provide "an appropriate honor for a truly unique president."

Supporters say that they have plenty of signatures to qualify the initiative and that the renaming would fit in a long and proud American tradition of poking political figures in the eye.

"Most politicians tend to be narcissistic and egomaniacs," said Brian McConnell, an organizer who regularly suits up as Uncle Sam to solicit signatures. "So it is important for satirists to help define their history rather than letting them define their own history."

Not surprisingly, those Republicans in a city that voted 83 percent Democratic in 2004 are not thrilled with the idea. Howard Epstein, chairman of the ever-outnumbered San Francisco Republican Party, called the initiative "an abuse of process."

"You got a bunch of guys drunk who came up with an idea," Epstein said, "and want to put on the ballot as a big joke without regard to the city's governance or cost."

The renaming would take effect on Jan. 20, when a new president is sworn in. And regardless of the measure's outcome, supporters plan to commemorate the inaugural with a "synchronized flush" of hundreds of thousands of toilets that would send a flood of water toward the plant, now named the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant.

"It's a way of doing something physical that's mentally freeing," said Stacey Reineccius, 45, a supporter of the plan. "It's a weird thing, but it's true."

I do not like this idea at all. I think its blatantly disrespectful to denigrate someone with this idea. Surely, the sewage workers deserve better.

I don't like the idea...It seems people forget that this man is the President on the United States, no matter how bad of a job he did, he deserves respect.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2602065]I don't like the idea...It seems people forget that this man is the President on the United States, no matter how bad of a job he did, he deserves respect.[/QUOTE]

ya'd think so right? but somehow he doesn't. That's how bad he was.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2602065]I don't like the idea...It seems people forget that this man is the President on the United States, no matter how bad of a job he did, he deserves respect.[/QUOTE]

You EARN respect, it is not something that is simply given. He has not earned any respect whatsoever. I can respect the office while disrespecting the man quite easily. And this is a lifelong Republican talking.

Fair points. But here is an honest question; Do you respect a title or the person? Is respect earned or just given by rote because of a title? We agree that all humans should be given the basic respect. But should the citizens of France have respected King Louis XVI and revere his name? Should citizens of a country respect their leaders regardless of their actions in representation of their county?

I think it's stupid, but if they want to do it, let them do it.

Ohhh, the named a sewage plant after Bush! That'll show him! When are they going to start questioning their girl Pelosi for not following through on any of the promises she made going up to 2006? Probably never.

Just keep bashing Bush and protesting Marine recruiting stations, SanFran. No one really cares what you do anymore anyway.

And for the record, this woman:

[QUOTE]"It's a way of doing something physical that's mentally freeing," said Stacey Reineccius, 45, a supporter of the plan. "It's a weird thing, but it's true."[/QUOTE]

is a retard.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 06-26-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Someone please give IJF a summer job- I can't take 2 more months of ridiculous threads like this! When does school start up again?

Plenty of people here on this board defended Bush and his administration, no matter how blatantly he disrespected the American people, the constitution, other nations, etc.

SF can do as the citizens there want. Bush has clearly flushed away the last 8 years like he did the budget surplus.

Pelosi is a policitician and played her hand well enough to keep the republicans from looking good in any manner. I don't admire the fact that she took impeachment off of the table. but it kept Bush in power and allowed him to continue to destroy the republican brand and he played right into her hands.

Bush is a simp

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;2602183]Plenty of people here on this board defended Bush and his administration, no matter how blatantly he disrespected the American people, the constitution, other nations, etc.

SF can do as the citizens there want. Bush has clearly flushed away the last 8 years like he did the budget surplus.

Pelosi is a policitician and played her hand well enough to keep the republicans from looking good in any manner. I don't admire the fact that she took impeachment off of the table. but it kept Bush in power and allowed him to continue to destroy the republican brand and he played right into her hands.

Bush is a simp[/QUOTE]

Pelosi didn't fail because she took impeachment off the table, she failed because she's a joke. Her biggest accomplishment thus far was changing the menu in the Capitol cafeteria.

What happened to vote for change in 2006? The whisper is getting louder?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2602178]Someone please give IJF a summer job- I can't take 2 more months of ridiculous threads like this! When does school start up again?[/QUOTE]

Lol...that was pretty funny...

Who cares what they do frankly, although, as much as I don't like Bush, I wouldn't vote for this. Isn't it bad enough that he's probably going to go down in the history books as a failure? This seems immature and like pouring salt on wounds..

[QUOTE=pauliec;2602209]Pelosi didn't fail because she took impeachment off the table, she failed because she's a joke. Her biggest accomplishment thus far was changing the menu in the Capitol cafeteria.

What happened to vote for change in 2006? The whisper is getting louder?[/QUOTE]

Pauliec, its true that she has failed from the point of view that the American people voted the democrats back into power in the house and senate to end the war and stand up to the Bush policies. She, and the democrats as a whole, decided to play it safe rather then risk losing their slim majority in power. One thing that did happen as a result of 2006 was that Bush was forced to get rid of that criminal, donald rumsfeld.

As far as your previous post about San Fransico not being relevant, I could not disagree with you more. San Fransico is as important to our country as Crawford, Texas or any of the other ruby red republican cities. Its what makes our nation unique and diverse. Sure, there are many over zealous people on both ends of the spectrum. But diversity of opinion is what makes this country worth fighting for.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2602247]Pauliec, its true that she has failed from the point of view that the American people voted the democrats back into power in the house and senate to end the war and stand up to the Bush policies. She, and the democrats as a whole, decided to play it safe rather then risk losing their slim majority in power. One thing that did happen as a result of 2006 was that Bush was forced to get rid of that criminal, donald rumsfeld.

As far as your previous post about San Fransico not being relevant, I could not disagree with you more. San Fransico is as important to our country as Crawford, Texas or any of the other ruby red republican cities. Its what makes our nation unique and diverse. Sure, there are many over zealous people on both ends of the spectrum. But diversity of opinion is what makes this country worth fighting for.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about diversity of opinion, but what's so intellectual and valuable about naming a sewage plant after a President? Like the article said, it's an idea hatched by a couple of drunkards in a bar.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2602020]I do not like this idea at all. I think its blatantly disrespectful to denigrate someone with this idea. Surely, the sewage workers deserve better.[/QUOTE]

People can name things whatever they want. It doesn't mean that it's fitting. Look at your name! ;) :P
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-26-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2602258]I agree with you about diversity of opinion, but what's so intellectual and valuable about naming a sewage plant after a President? Like the article said, it's an idea hatched by a couple of drunkards in a bar.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be great if those guys sat around and thought about how fix some of our problems or where they could devote some of their time and energy to making the country, or even just their city of SF a better place?

[COLOR="Blue"]Drunk 1[/COLOR]: "You know, I've been thinking about finishing my degree and getting a job over at Cisco in Mountain View. They are working in new and creative ways to improve broadband communications which, indirectly, could reduce our need to travel and utilize fossil fuels."

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Drunk 2[/COLOR]: "Sounds like a good job. But you know you'd probably make a lot of money and Obama will tax the heck out of it."

[COLOR="Blue"]Drunk 1[/COLOR]: "You're right....hmmmm.....well.......how about we get the sewage plant named after George Bush?"

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Drunk 2[/COLOR]: :D "Bartender! Two more beers and get us a napkin and a pen!"

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2602435]People can name things whatever they want. It doesn't mean that it's fitting. Look at your name! ;) :P[/QUOTE]

Whammo.

All Pro
    It's immature, it's pointless, it's overkill.....and it's completely fitting. Bush has = poop for a long time, might as well be formal now.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2602459]Whammo.[/QUOTE]

Don't you have someone to sentence to eternal damnation?

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2602435]People can name things whatever they want. It doesn't mean that it's fitting. Look at your name! ;) :P[/QUOTE]

zing!

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;2602476]Don't you have someone to sentence to eternal damnation?[/QUOTE]

Wrong sackdance, that's sackdance99