Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Supreme Court Rules That Individuals Have Gun Rights

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

BREAKING NEWS: Supreme Court Rules That Individuals Have Gun Rights

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-Scotus-Guns.html?_r=1&oref=slogin[/url]

[QUOTE]WASHINGTON (AP) -- [B]The Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting[/B], the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

The court's 5-4 ruling strikes down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision goes further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.

The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The basic issue for the justices was whether the amendment protects an individual's right to own guns no matter what, or whether that right is somehow tied to service in a state militia.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally a 5-4 decision coming down on the right side. I have not read the decision yet, I think it is a long one. In a nutshell, in my opinion the Bill of Rights guarantees individual rights, therefore encompassing the individual right to bear arms. Good news! Very good News!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just makes me sick to my stomach, especially after reading that horrible thread about what happened to that father and his two sons in SF. Rifles for hunting may be one thing, but how anyone could defend the right to carry handguns and concealed firearms anymore is just beyond me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Colemonster;2602189]This just makes me sick to my stomach, especially after reading that horrible thread about what happened to that father and his two sons in SF. Rifles for hunting may be one thing, but how anyone could defend the right to carry handguns and concealed firearms anymore is just beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think the criminals register their guns ???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Colemonster;2602189]This just makes me sick to my stomach, especially after reading that horrible thread about what happened to that father and his two sons in SF. Rifles for hunting may be one thing, but how anyone could defend the right to carry handguns and concealed firearms anymore is just beyond me.[/QUOTE]

i will put money on it that the scumbag who committed this crime had a rap sheet. if criminals who are convicted of crimes are punished correctly, there is no way they are able to own a gun legally. Criminals will always get their hands on guns as they do drugs, and alcohol during prohibition.

i don't hear anyone saying that cars should be outlawed because some drunk driver or reckless driver plowed down an innocent victim. It is the individual we should hold responsible not the weapon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;2602191]Do you really think the criminals register their guns ???[/QUOTE]

where do you think criminals get guns from?

And I could go both ways on this argument, if we could eliminate all guns from this country that would be ideal, but seeing how this country is headed and knowing how many psychos have guns, I am wondering if I should get a few myself

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Colemonster;2602189]This just makes me sick to my stomach, especially after reading that horrible thread about what happened to that father and his two sons in SF. Rifles for hunting may be one thing, but how anyone could defend the right to carry handguns and concealed firearms anymore is just beyond me.[/QUOT

QFT!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tok3535;2602199]where do you think criminals get guns from?

And I could go both ways on this argument, if we could eliminate all guns from this country that would be ideal, but seeing how this country is headed and knowing how many psychos have guns, I am wondering if I should get a few myself[/QUOTE]

Criminals can only get their guns from other criminals. Even if they p\urchase it from a gun shop it is the store owner who is also a criminal b/c he cannot sell to a convicted felon. If the purchase is down with a straw man it is also a crime and three individuals are guilty of it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ganooch;2602198]i will put money on it that the scumbag who committed this crime had a rap sheet. if criminals who are convicted of crimes are punished correctly, there is no way they are able to own a gun legally. Criminals will always get their hands on guns as they do drugs, and alcohol during prohibition.
    [B]
    i don't hear anyone saying that cars should be outlawed because some drunk driver or reckless driver plowed down an innocent victim[/B]. It is the individual we should hold responsible not the weapon.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Cars kill more people than guns, but they are legal.

I don't own a gun, but people should have the right to own them.

As a famous T Shirt says, "Guns don't kill people, I kill people."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2602206]Exactly. Cars kill more people than guns, but they are legal.

As a famous T Shirt says, "Guns don't kill people, I kill people."[/QUOTE]

I actually work in law enforcement and to be honest with you I am noticing a great deal of homicides committed with knives. You would not believe the increase in stabbings. I will have to get the numbers when I get back to work on Saturday. If someone wants to kill someone they will do it. If they have a gun they will shoot you. If they have a knife they will stab you, and if they are in their car they will run you over.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

The Washington law did not address carrying concealed firearms, it addressed ownership of a handgun at all. The Court ruled that that law was overly broad.

I haven't read the decision yet, but the Court's ruling appears to have affirmed the fundamental right of individuals to own guns.

I don't have a real problem with this ruling. Presumably, Washington will now enact a law that will prohibit the carrying of a concealed weapon in all but the most extreme situations --a law that will pass Constitutional muster.

As a liberal, I have no problem with law abiding citizens buying weapons for hunting or self-defense. I do have a problem with a mental nutcase leaving the loony bin, heading to a gun show and being able to purchase an assault rifle. Law abiding gun owners probably feel the same way.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=ganooch;2602198]i will put money on it that the scumbag who committed this crime had a rap sheet. if criminals who are convicted of crimes are punished correctly, there is no way they are able to own a gun legally. Criminals will always get their hands on guns as they do drugs, and alcohol during prohibition.

i don't hear anyone saying that cars should be outlawed because some drunk driver or reckless driver plowed down an innocent victim. It is the individual we should hold responsible not the weapon.[/quote]
    +1

i own a gun. i have it to protect myself and my two kids b/c i am a single mother. and why should criminals be able to get guns and the good law abiding citizens cant? i am glad that the SC finally did something right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Political forum is -------> thataway.

:O That being said, I am all for the ruling, it should be up to the individual to have to make the choice, then pass the registration and procurement steps.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal. This is exactly the type of case why Bush nominated guys like Alito and Roberts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The average citzen is not allowed to carry a concealed weapon. Too me, this just makes it easier for law-abiding folks to obtain a gun. As stated previously, the scumbag can already get one easier than I can get 420. Glock here I come!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chirorob;2602206]Exactly. Cars kill more people than guns, but they are legal.

As a famous T Shirt says, "Guns don't kill people, I kill people."[/QUOTE]

Cars are supposed to get you around, what purpose to guns serve other then to kill?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tok3535;2602232]Cars are supposed to get you around, what purpose to guns serve other then to kill?[/QUOTE]

You can turn off your TV if you can't find the remote.

You can open a stubborn pickle jar.

You can fire into the air and scare away unwanted house guests.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tok3535;2602232]Cars are supposed to get you around, what purpose to guns serve other then to kill?[/QUOTE]

PROTECT

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    where is good old ted nugent when you need him :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;2602225]The average citzen is not allowed to carry a concealed weapon. Too me, this just makes it easier for law-abiding folks to obtain a gun. As stated previously, the scumbag can already get one easier than I can get 420. Glock here I come![/QUOTE]

40 states have the "right to carry" where 36 of them are "shall issue" states where the carryer must be issued a permit if he passes all the legislative rules.