Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Governor Bobby Jindal Signs Chemical Castration Bill

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Governor Bobby Jindal Signs Chemical Castration Bill

[url]http://www.kalb.com/index.php/news/article/governor-bobby-jindal-signs-chemical-castration-bill/9539/[/url]

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="4"]Governor Bobby Jindal Signs Chemical Castration Bill[/SIZE][/B]

By Chris Blalock -

BATON ROUGE – Governor Bobby Jindal today signed the Sex Offender Chemical Castration Bill, SB 144, authorizing the castration of convicted sex offenders.

Governor Bobby Jindal said, “The Sex Offender Chemical Castration Bill is a good bill, and I am especially glad to sign it into Louisiana law today, on the same day the Supreme Court has made an atrocious ruling against our state’s ability to sentence those who sexually assault our children to the fullest extent. Those who prey on our children are among the very worst criminals imaginable.

“Not only as the Governor of this great state, but as a father of three children, I believe that sexually assaulting a child is one of the very worst crimes and I am glad we have taken such strong measures in Louisiana to put a stop to these monsters’ brutal acts. I want to send the message loud and clear – to the Supreme Court of the United States and beyond – make no mistake about it, if anyone wants to molest children and commit sexual assaults on kids they should not do so here in Louisiana. Here, we will do everything in our power to protect our children and we will not rest until justice is won and we have fully punished those who harm them.”

SB 144 by Senators Nick Gautreaux, Amedee, Dorsey, Duplessis and Mount provides that on a first conviction of aggravated rape, forcible rape, second degree sexual battery, aggravated incest, molestation of a juvenile when the victim is under the age of 13, or an aggravated crime against nature, the court may sentence the offender to undergo chemical castration. On a second conviction of the above listed crimes, the court is required to sentence the offender to undergo chemical castration.

This bill also provides that a court may instead order a physical castration instead of the chemical castration. Convicted sex offenders who undergo castration must still serve their full sentence, as their treatment will not affect their sentencing. Under the bill, if a convicted sex offender fails to appear for their chemical castration, they will serve an additional sentence of three to five years.

In the recently concluded regular session of the legislature, Governor Jindal also supported the passage of SB 143 to prohibit a sex offender from wearing a mask, hood or disguise during holiday events and from distributing candy or other gifts on Halloween to persons under eighteen years of age; SB 517 which provides for the lifetime registration of sex offenders; SB 510 to double the minimum sentence for computer-aided solicitation of a minor; HB 770 to prohibit the use text messaging by sex offenders; and SB 514 to increase the minimum sentence for the molestation of a juvenile by five-fold. [/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's about time. :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know...I mean, I can't see how this stops someone...

I mean, if you are a sick person who wants to sexually assault a child, this will not be a deterrant....

and if you are punished with this, you will probably still find ways to violte and abuse a child sexually...

I mean, this is just a form of punishment......not prevention...and not a deterrant.....

in my opinion
    Last edited by piney; 06-26-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;2602995][url]http://www.kalb.com/index.php/news/article/governor-bobby-jindal-signs-chemical-castration-bill/9539/[/url][/QUOTE]

Governor Jindal is my choice for McCain to pick as his Vice-Presidential Candidate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2603003]I don't know...I mean, I can't see how this stops someone...

I mean, if you are a sick person who wants to sexually assault a child, this will not be a deterrant....

and if you are punished with this, you will probably still find ways to violte and abuse a child sexually...

I mean, this is just a form of punishment......not prevention...and not a deterrant.....

in my opinion[/QUOTE]
    Which are you?

Liberals: Revere the very balls of serial child molestors.
    Conservatives: Execute serial child molestors.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2603070]Which are you?

Conservatives: Execute serial child molestors.[/QUOTE]

first off, your definitions are laughable, you are really one of the problems with this country...

but, as for how I feel about what to do, honestly, I don't know.....

personally, I am all for it...I say hang them up by their testicles...but...what does it do...all it is is punishment to one person...it doesn't stop child molester, and it certainly doesn't guarantee that the offender who is castrated will never abuse a child again...all it does really is feed the mob...

it is like the death penalty.....I am all for killing vile people...I have no problem telling someone "hey, you don't deserve to live", but our legal system is not infallible...and therefore....if just one person could be put to death, or possibly castrated, and are innocent....then..well..I feel that person is the one who needs to be protected...

your silly argument of "protecting the molester" is laughable...it isn't about them...it is about protecting those of us who aren't....there have been plenty of cases of children falsely accusing people of molestation and sexual abuse, and with how our society views these monsters, then these people are already guilty, and have to prove their innocence....

ask Clarence Elkins

even a shill like you with no regard for anyone but yourself has to at least see the possibility of an innocent person getting convicted, and if this procedure does not prove to be a deterrent well..where does that leave us?
    Last edited by piney; 06-26-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2603003]I don't know...I mean, I can't see how this stops someone...

in my opinion[/QUOTE]

Piney, I think this point has substance in the abstract but not necessarily based on the facts at hand.

The reason is, that some convicted child molesters have voluntarily undergone castration, been freed from jail when their sentences were up, and none of them have committed a sexual assault on a child or adult.

So there is correlation there.

Plus, punishment is always a reason for a criminal sentence. Remember, cruel and unusual [U]punishment[/U] is prohibited NOT punishment in itself. In fact, prevention and deterrant have proven to be secondary concerns in the criminal justice system.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2603080]first off, your definitions are laughable, [/QUOTE]
    Thanks!
    [QUOTE=piney;2603080]you are really one of the problems with this country...[/QUOTE]
    Please register this objection to your projection.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dumb question but - What exactly is chemical castration? Does this simply prevent a guy from being able to reproduce? Or, does it keep him from getting it up?

EDIT: And finally, should it be the more severe punishment used after bannings in the JI politics forum? :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    as far as the physical castration part goes....there's no way that would ever be allowed to happen. it would be appealed and would ultimately be ruled cruel and unusual punishment.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2603003]

in my opinion[/QUOTE]

The primary job of our penal system should be punishment (in my view). The focus should not be on rehabilitation. Its fine if we find ways to rehabilitate WHILE we punish, but punishment for the crimes comitted (and punishing the right crimes and the right levels) should be #1.

Prevention (i.e. pre-emption) is simply unrealistic as a goal. Human nature (and its variety of twisted aberrences) are what they are. As for a deterrant, well......if we were more concerned with PUNISHMENT, and less with rehabilitation and feeling for the criminal and trying to understand his pain, perhaps the punishment would BE the deterrant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2603080]f
    personally, I am all for it...I say hang them up by their testicles...but...what does it do...all it is is punishment to one person...it doesn't stop child molester, and it certainly doesn't guarantee that the offender who is castrated will never abuse a child again...all it does really is feed the mob...

[/QUOTE]

Nobody should think of punishment as a deterrent from someone else doing it. I don't punish my daughter if she does something wrong so the kid down the block won't do what she did....I punish her to show her there is such a thing called right and wrong, and that there are things we ought do or not do in life. When we do what is wrong, or what we ought not to do, there are CONSEQUENCES to your actions. It teaches people about this very thing. It is also for the public to show that when someone does something wrong, they will be punished. It gives the justice system credibility and people than can put their trust in it that justice will be served.

However, if you look at our justice system (in Canada anyway), we are too much interested in rehabilitation than punishment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2603345]The primary job of our penal system should be punishment (in my view). The focus should not be on rehabilitation. Its fine if we find ways to rehabilitate WHILE we punish, but punishment for the crimes comitted (and punishing the right crimes and the right levels) should be #1.

Prevention (i.e. pre-emption) is simply unrealistic as a goal. Human nature (and its variety of twisted aberrences) are what they are. As for a deterrant, well......if we were more concerned with PUNISHMENT, and less with rehabilitation and feeling for the criminal and trying to understand his pain, perhaps the punishment would BE the deterrant.[/QUOTE]

+1 see my above post.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2603070]Which are you?

Conservatives: Execute serial child molestors.[/QUOTE]

sackdance: your JI go-to source for all topics involving child molester's balls

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2603345]The primary job of our penal system should be punishment (in my view). The focus should not be on rehabilitation. Its fine if we find ways to rehabilitate WHILE we punish, but punishment for the crimes comitted (and punishing the right crimes and the right levels) should be #1.

Prevention (i.e. pre-emption) is simply unrealistic as a goal. Human nature (and its variety of twisted aberrences) are what they are. As for a deterrant, well......if we were more concerned with PUNISHMENT, and less with rehabilitation and feeling for the criminal and trying to understand his pain, perhaps the punishment would BE the deterrant.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by [B]SMC[/B]
    Piney, I think this point has substance in the abstract but not necessarily based on the facts at hand.

The reason is, that some convicted child molesters have voluntarily undergone castration, been freed from jail when their sentences were up, and none of them have committed a sexual assault on a child or adult.

So there is correlation there.

Plus, punishment is always a reason for a criminal sentence. Remember, cruel and unusual punishment is prohibited NOT punishment in itself. In fact, prevention and deterrant have proven to be secondary concerns in the criminal justice system.[/QUOTE]

sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I totally understand punishing these guys, I was just kind of going off on a tangent...I am not saying that punishment should not be a factor......it should...

My real concern is the real possibility of someone innocent getting the same treatment.

I know it sounds like a red herring, but it has happened, I don't know if my desire to punish someone outweighs my concern for the innocent, seeing as how our legal system is not infallible.

I am in no way saying we should concentrate on rehabilitation over punshment.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2603385]My real concern is the real possibility of someone innocent getting the same treatment.

I know it sounds like a red herring...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is absolutly a red herring.

No system of justcie will ever be perfect, especially if juries are made up of average people. While I feel for the occasional innocent found guilty, their suffering does not warrant changing our penal system from a punishment-for-crimes system to something else.

I also feel for all the victims of someone who's guilty as hell, but gets off on technicallities, biases juries and the abillity to buy better representation. The pendulem swings both ways here as well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2603295]Dumb question but - What exactly is chemical castration? Does this simply prevent a guy from being able to reproduce? Or, does it keep him from getting it up?

EDIT: And finally, should it be the more severe punishment used after bannings in the JI politics forum? :D[/QUOTE]

[B]Chemical Castration: The Benefits and Disadvantages Intrinsic to Injecting Male Pedophiliacs with Depo-Provera
    Katherine Amlin

Child molestation is a serious problem in the United States. The legal system is lenient with pedophiles, punishing them with insufficiently brief prison sentences that are further abbreviated by the option of parole. Some child molesters are released back into society after serving as little as one fourth of their prison-time (1). Recidivism is extremely high among child molesters; 75% are convicted more than once for sexually abusing young people (6). Pedophiles commit sexual assault for a variety of reasons. Some rape children because of similar instances of abuse in their own childhoods (1). Some view the act of molestation as a way to gain power over another individual (1). Some pedophiles act purely on sexual desires. No matter what causes these heinous criminals to molest children, their crimes are inexcusable. Unfortunately, utilizing prison as a punishment for child molestation creates only a Band-Aid solution for the issue of sexual assault and other resolutions need to be investigated.

Alternative options for the punishment of male pedophiles are being explored in the status quo. Scientists have observed the link between testosterone and aggression and concluded that high levels of testosterone correspond with increased violent and aggressive behavior in men (5). "It is the reason that stallions are high strung and impossible to train, the reason male dogs become vicious and start to bite people. It's why boys take chances and chase girls, why they drive too fast and deliberately start fights. In violent criminals, these tendencies are exaggerated and carried to extremes" (8). In an effort to stop male pedophiles, male child molesters have the option of being chemically castrated in some states. "Chemical castration is a term used to describe treatment with a drug called Depo-Provera that, when given to men, acts on the brain to inhibit hormones that stimulate the testicles to produce testosterone" (2). Depo-Provera is a common birth control pill that containing a synthetic version of the female hormone progesterone. Advocates of chemical castration hope that injections of Depo-Provera will prevent men from molesting children.

However, some experts argue that Depo-Provera is ineffective and will not prevent molestation. Forced castration may have the adverse affect of angering a criminal, increasing his violent tendencies and lead to additional sexual abuse (2). Additionally, Depo-Provera is reversible. Therefore, unless injections are mandatory and monitored, pedophiles will not be "cured" by the drug therapy. The child molester will have renewed sexual fantasies and high levels of testosterone if the injections are discontinued (7). Joseph Frank Smith, a convicted child molester, became an advocate for chemical castration after undergoing the therapy in the 1980s. Smith stopped using the injections in 1989. In 1999, he was convicted for molesting a five-year old girl and immediately returned to prison (3). Depo-Provera also has caused side effects in some men "including depression, fatigue, diabetes, [and] blood clots" (2). Chemical castration may cause some detrimental effects in child molesters.

Regardless, Depo-Provera has been proven to inhibit the abilities of pedophilias to assault children. The progesterone in Depo-Provera counteracts the biological tendencies that lead men to rape children (4). By lowering testosterone, Depo-Provera reduces sex drive (6). Males can have sexual intercourse (7) but do not want to. Depo-Provera also decreases aggressive tendencies by reducing testosterone. "[T]he castrated criminal would be more docile and have a better opportunity to be rehabilitated, educated, and to become a worthwhile citizen" (1). Castration removes the biological and chemical tendencies that are intrinsically linked to the desire to rape in males.

Depo-Provera also reduces recidivism rates. When used as a mandatory condition of parole (6), chemical castration decreases the occurrence of repeat offenses from 75% (6) to 2% (1). Prison is less desirable because it serves no rehabilitative purpose for sexual offenders. Pedophiles who spend time festering in a prison cell are given extensive downtime to concoct new sordid sexual fantasies involving children. These horrific visions are translated into terrifying realities once the criminal comes back into contact with children following his inevitable release from prison (1). Prison simply produces sneakier criminals. Pedophiles do not want to be incarcerated again so they think of new ways to rape children that will avoid detection and future detention (6). Prison increases aggressive tendencies in male pedophiles while chemical castration addresses the root causes of sexual assault and decreases further sexual deviance.

Although chemical castration is not the perfect solution to inhibit child molestation, it discourages sexual assault better than incarceration. Injections of Depo-Provera decrease the aggressive tendencies that lead to rape in males. Castration also discourages sexual fantasies and eradicates sexual obsessions. Pedophiles are reduced to apathetic pacifists. Regulated chemical castration should be encouraged as an alternative to prison for male child molesters in order to stop recidivism and decrease instances of sexual assault.[/B]

I wonder if they will have a difficult time enforcing this. I assume that the injections will be given at their periodic probation meetings.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is this even an issue, 50 million people in this country cant afford health care, gas is going up, food is going up and unemployment is going up, why do Republicans waste their time with this crap

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tok3535;2603688]Why is this even an issue, 50 million people in this country cant afford health care, gas is going up, food is going up and unemployment is going up, why do Republicans waste their time with this crap[/QUOTE]

Douche alert!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;2603698]Douche alert![/QUOTE]

I could say something but I wont