Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Donadoni Gets the Axe

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154

    Donadoni Gets the Axe

    Domenech most likely next...

    Lippi returns as Italy coach after Donadoni canned

    ROME (AP) -- Marcello Lippi was reappointed as Italy's coach Thursday, following the removal of Roberto Donadoni.

    The coaching change came four days after Italy was knocked out of the European Championship quarterfinals by Spain on penalty kicks. A statement on the Italian football federation's Web site said that president Giancarlo Abete had appointed Lippi after meeting with Donadoni to terminate his contract.

    Lippi was Donadoni's predecessor and led Italy to victory in the 2006 World Cup. The federation said Lippi will be presented at a news conference on Tuesday.

    Lippi is expected to sign a two-year contract that will last through the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

    Local media have speculated that Lippi could entice emblematic playmaker Francesco Totti and top defender Alessandro Nesta to end their international retirements.

    Lippi is also expected to call up Brazilian-born forward Amauri, with Alberto Gilardino also possibly rejoining the mix.

    Angelo Peruzzi, Italy's third goalkeeper at the World Cup, will likely be named an assistant coach, and former Italy defender Ciro Ferrara could also rejoin the staff.

    In 29 games as Italy's coach between 2004 and 2006, Lippi guided the Azzurri to 17 wins, 10 draws and two losses.

    Besides the World Cup final victory over France in a shootout, the silver-haired coach is also remembered for fielding four forwards in Italy's 2-0 extra-time win over Germany in the semifinals.

    Lippi has spent the past two years traveling Italy and abroad to pick up awards. He has also worked as an analyst for Italy's Sky TV.

    Besides the World Cup title, Lippi's resume includes five Serie A titles with Juventus, one Champions League victory, one Intercontinental Cup title, one Italian Cup and four Italian Super Cups.

    The only other coach to lead Italy more than once was Vittorio Pozzo, who had three stints in 1912, 1924 and from 1929-1948 -- the period when Italy won its first two World Cup titles (1934 and 1938).

    Lippi's first game back in charge will be a friendly against Austria in Nice, France, on Aug. 20.

    The Azzurri begin 2010 World Cup qualifying against Cyprus on Sept. 6.

  2. #2
    Good, I'm glad Lippi is back. Donadoni sucked

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Good, I'm glad Lippi is back. Donadoni sucked
    I think it would be a mistake to bring back Totti and Nesta.

    Start rebuilding NOW or else you'll end with old farts getting burned by Flying Dutchmen (see Thuram).

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to bring back Totti and Nesta.

    Start rebuilding NOW or else you'll end with old farts getting burned by Flying Dutchmen (see Thuram).
    I'll tell ya what, RD, when Cannavaro went down before the tournament began I thought we were ****ed. I thought the famous Italian defense was in disrepair and it would be a disaster.

    But the 23 year old Giorgio Chiellini stepped up and filled Cannavaro's role beautifully. The game against Spain was vintage Italian defense. It was proof that there is good young talent waiting just behind the great veterans.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I'll tell ya what, RD, when Cannavaro went down before the tournament began I thought we were ****ed. I thought the famous Italian defense was in disrepair and it would be a disaster.

    But the 23 year old Giorgio Chiellini stepped up and filled Cannavaro's role beautifully. The game against Spain was vintage Italian defense. It was proof that there is good young talent waiting just behind the great veterans.
    Exactly. In honesty, I don't think Cannavaro would've played better.

    Start trying out young guys. You have 2 years to see what they've got. If it pans out, you're set. If it doesn't you can still call old vets like Nesta or Totti who can fit in at any time and produce.

    This was our failure. We wanted to squeeze every last drop of greatness out of Thuram instead of putting Mexes, starter for Roma, during qualifiers. When you have a golden generation it's always hard to pull the plug, but it's a necessity.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Exactly. In honesty, I don't think Cannavaro would've played better.

    Start trying out young guys. You have 2 years to see what they've got. If it pans out, you're set. If it doesn't you can still call old vets like Nesta or Totti who can fit in at any time and produce.

    This was our failure. We wanted to squeeze every last drop of greatness out of Thuram instead of putting Mexes, starter for Roma, during qualifiers. When you have a golden generation it's always hard to pull the plug, but it's a necessity.
    As a Serie A fan I'm quite familiar with Mexes. He's a great player. Tough son of a *****, too.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    As a Serie A fan I'm quite familiar with Mexes. He's a great player. Tough son of a *****, too.
    He wasn't even part of the group that went to the Euro.

    He never got along with Domenech.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    He wasn't even part of the group that went to the Euro.

    He never got along with Domenech.
    Does he have a reputation as a troublemaker, or what? That's strange.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Does he have a reputation as a troublemaker, or what? That's strange.
    He's somewhat of a hothead.

    Problem is since Domenech has a lot of personality, if a player has too much 'personality', they clash and he's gone. As a player, Domenech was a JAG, but brutal.

    Gallas/Mexes - most teams would love to have a central defense like that.

    I'm praying he gets canned in july, and Deschamps will take over.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    RD this is the guy was going to lead you to glory?

    Doesn't this photo just beg for a "caption me"


  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    RD this is the guy was going to lead you to glory?

    Doesn't this photo just beg for a "caption me"

    Man that's embarassing

    For some reason that picture makes me think of Mr Robinson's Neighborhood



    Can't bash the Velib though (the bicycle). You can rent bicycles all over Paris, with pick up/ drop off points everywhere. Excellent idea that should be copied in all major cities.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 06-27-2008 at 11:09 AM.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    He has mafioso written all over him (or pimp)


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    He has mafioso written all over him (or pimp)

    I was going to mention that, I noticed how Turkey's coach looks like all of my uncles.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

    Can't bash the Velib though (the bicycle). You can rent bicycles all over Paris, with pick up/ drop off points everywhere. Excellent idea that should be copied in all major cities.
    Hmm, that is a great idea.

    Of course, he looks like a total sissy.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    He has mafioso written all over him (or pimp)

    Who says he isn't

    You think we made it to the semis by playing well...

    He made the Swiss the Checs and the Croats offers they couldn't refuse

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Of course, he looks like a total sissy.
    His soon-to be-wife ain't too shabby


  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    His soon-to be-wife ain't too shabby


    Doesn't make him any less of a sissy.

  18. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Man that's embarassing
    .

    You want embarrasing...here:




    but at least noone can call him a sissy

    or you can at your own peril...check out how he celebrates the second goal (which is absolute magic from the Commandante Hagi btw)
    ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUW1Uok9XM
    Last edited by The Turk; 06-27-2008 at 03:11 PM.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,154
    Just announced: Domenech stays as Coach of the National Team (18 votes to 1. )

    Wow, just wow. Donadoni gets fired for making the quarters, and we keep the guy who couldn't get us past first round.

    The debate here has been overall 50/50. People hate him for the way he communicates (or doesn't), but lately many current players have gone on record saying they want him to stay: Vieira, Ribery, Sagnol...which is important IMO

    They said they'd laid out strict guidelines..etc. . The only thing that scares me is if he continues to blacklist players like Mexes who clearly deserve to be on the field.

    Qualifiers for the WC are going to be looooong
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 07-03-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us