View Poll Results: What is your opinion?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Holy **** thats crazy

11 73.33%
  • North Pole is fine, Liberal scientists just have nothing else to do

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say

North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/weather/06/27/north.pole.melting/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/weather/06/27/north.pole.melting/index.html[/URL]

What is your opinion on this?

I know its early in the morning, but its sad that so far there are only two votes in this poll. What's even sadder is that lobbyists have made protecting our planet a political issue. Conservatives and liberals alike will have great grandchildren inhabiting this planet 100 years from now. What will they say if they found out that some of their ancestors refused to help when they could in the interest of a corporation turning a higher profit?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;2603693]Conservatives and liberals alike will have great grandchildren inhabiting this planet 100 years from now.[/QUOTE]

And I'm pretty sure they won't be inhabiting the North Pole.

[QUOTE=newjakecity;2603693]I know its early in the morning, but its sad that so far there are only two votes in this poll. What's even sadder is that lobbyists have made protecting our planet a political issue. Conservatives and liberals alike will have great grandchildren inhabiting this planet 100 years from now. What will they say if they found out that some of their ancestors refused to help when they could in the interest of a corporation turning a higher profit?[/QUOTE]

you know I am at the point now I am debating wether I should have kids or not, I am leaning towards not having kids

It is funny, I care more about the future of this planet then these neo-con conservatives who probably have kids and have tons of money in the stock market and really dont want to hear about anything that will effect their portfolio

I wish I didnt have a heart and didnt have morals, I wish I could be a Republican and not give a **** about anything by myself

[QUOTE=Untouchable;2603708]And I'm pretty sure they won't be inhabiting the North Pole.[/QUOTE]

Wow you are REALLY missing the point. But instead of arguing with you, I will simply link to this article and point out the most disturbing aspects (and as New Yorkers, we really need to pay attention to this):

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102100761_pf.html[/url]

[B]The scenario is not new. What is most alarming to the scientists is the speed at which it is unfolding. A decade ago, melting at the poles was predicted to play out over 100 years. Instead, it is happening on a scale scientists describe as overnight.

When the Larsen B, an Antarctic ice shelf the size of Rhode Island, collapsed in 2002, "it was a big glaring clue that something not natural was happening," said Hugh Ducklow, director of ecosystems for MBL Laboratories in Woods Hole, Mass. "The geological evidence suggested that was stable for at least 10,000 years, back to the last ice age. And it literally disintegrated in three weeks."

The scientists say the coming scenes in the movie, as described by the historic melding of research assembled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, will be even more disturbing:

As the air warms over Canada, Alaska and Siberia, the melting permafrost releases millions of tons of trapped carbon and methane, further accelerating the encroaching disaster. Greenland's moving glaciers pick up speed, likely bringing in this century the first three feet of a possible 23-foot rise of the seas that would ultimately inundate New York City and South Florida and drive millions of people from low-lying areas of Asia.[/B]

What's not mentioned here (but has been mentioned elsewhere) is that the North Pole melting could cause colder water to flow into the gulf stream. The gulf stream is essential in keeping our planet temparate in terms of clients. If colder water got into the gulf stream, this could potentially cause another ice age.

[QUOTE=Tok3535;2603717]you know I am at the point now I am debating wether I should have kids or not, I am leaning towards not having kids

It is funny, I care more about the future of this planet then these neo-con conservatives who probably have kids and have tons of money in the stock market and really dont want to hear about anything that will effect their portfolio

I wish I didnt have a heart and didnt have morals, I wish I could be a Republican and not give a **** about anything by myself[/QUOTE]

Let me guess your a Democrat.:D

[QUOTE=Tok3535;2603717]you know I am at the point now I am debating wether I should have kids or not, I am leaning towards not having kids

I wish I didnt have a heart and didnt have morals, I wish I could be a Republican and not give a **** about anything by myself[/QUOTE]
    Does never getting any help clinch your decision?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2603729]Does never getting any help clinch your decision?[/QUOTE]
    LOL

[QUOTE=sackdance;2603729]Does never getting any help clinch your decision?[/QUOTE]

haha I could get plenty, including your ugly wife

Jets Insider VIP

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH. WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!

JANET'S BOOB!!!!

ARRRGGGGHHH!!!

When I read this story I began to get angry. All along I understood that global warming was real and, to be truthful, this story was not a shock. But I became angry towards all the people who knew that this was true yet willfully lied to us for profit. Much like the tobacco companies lied about not knowing about the deleterious effects of smoking.

Here is a list of the people I am angry with;

1. I am angry with the energy companies who, like the tobacco companies, were fully aware of what effect they had on the environment. They then took it a step further by manipulating data and sending out bought and paid for scientists to spew their lies. They also manipulated the political system by buying politicians to promote their lies.

1B. I am angry with the politicians who sold us out in order to enjoy the kickbacks from the big energy companies. They were well aware of the evidence and still took their money and spewed their lies. By the way, these are the same mouth pieces who are pushing for domestic drilling. Objective data shows us that this drilling will have a very small effect on energy prices. But that does not really matter to these politicians because they would continue to make money doing the bidding for big oil.

1C. I am angry with the democrats who did not do enough to stop this because either they were also paid off or they were more worried about getting reelected. Either way, they failed us as well.

2. I am angry with the media tools who manipulated the average American by promoting these lies. Rush Limbaugh is the most obvious example. He (as well as others) sold out the people by abusing his position of influence in order to enjoy the American dream of being rich not giving a damn about the what happens a hundred years from now. These mouth pieces get fed talking points to cover each day by their bosses. Without this group of people, the energy giants and their bought and paid for politicians could not enjoy business as usual. They were able to manipulate people by turning this into a political issue, when it is so much bigger then democrats vs republicans.

3. I am angry with the moron citizens who bought the bullsh*t from the above groups of people. They have allowed themselves to be manipulated and see only partisan politics instead of the overall picture. These lemmings allowed the bought and paid for politicians to continually get reelected despite the fact that they sold out their country,and the world, by selling their souls. These citizens can be seen parroting the exact same lines from Rush limbaugh, Fox News or their favorite sell-out politicians.

First of all, they said it's a "50-50" chance that it will happen. That hardly sounds scientific to me.

Secondly, are they absolutely sure this isn't a cyclical event? I mean, once a upon a time the whole world was covered in ice.

We are one large volcanic eruption from another mini iceage, it can happen at any time , and algore will be proclaiming it the fault of the U.S. and we need to implement a tax.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2603857]When I read this story I began to get angry. All along I understood that global warming was real and, to be truthful, this story was not a shock. But I became angry towards all the people who knew that this was true yet willfully lied to us for profit. Much like the tobacco companies lied about not knowing about the deleterious effects of smoking.

Here is a list of the people I am angry with;

1. I am angry with the energy companies who, like the tobacco companies, were fully aware of what effect they had on the environment. They then took it a step further by manipulating data and sending out bought and paid for scientists to spew their lies. They also manipulated the political system by buying politicians to promote their lies.

1B. I am angry with the politicians who sold us out in order to enjoy the kickbacks from the big energy companies. They were well aware of the evidence and still took their money and spewed their lies. By the way, these are the same mouth pieces who are pushing for domestic drilling. Objective data shows us that this drilling will have a very small effect on energy prices. But that does not really matter to these politicians because they would continue to make money doing the bidding for big oil.

1C. I am angry with the democrats who did not do enough to stop this because either they were also paid off or they were more worried about getting reelected. Either way, they failed us as well.

2. I am angry with the media tools who manipulated the average American by promoting these lies. Rush Limbaugh is the most obvious example. He (as well as others) sold out the people by abusing his position of influence in order to enjoy the American dream of being rich not giving a damn about the what happens a hundred years from now. These mouth pieces get fed talking points to cover each day by their bosses. Without this group of people, the energy giants and their bought and paid for politicians could not enjoy business as usual. They were able to manipulate people by turning this into a political issue, when it is so much bigger then democrats vs republicans.

3. I am angry with the moron citizens who bought the bullsh*t from the above groups of people. They have allowed themselves to be manipulated and see only partisan politics instead of the overall picture. These lemmings allowed the bought and paid for politicians to continually get reelected despite the fact that they sold out their country,and the world, by selling their souls. These citizens can be seen parroting the exact same lines from Rush limbaugh, Fox News or their favorite sell-out politicians.[/QUOTE]

You think Americans are fat and lazy, like big cars and big homes is the fault of the energy companies?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2603886]First of all, they said it's a "50-50" chance that it will happen. That hardly sounds scientific to me.

Secondly, are they absolutely sure this isn't a cyclical event? I mean, once a upon a time the whole world was covered in ice.[/QUOTE]

well they keep pushing up the date they say it will melt, first they thought it was 2100, then 2050 now it may be this Summer

And in our industrial era we are using more greenhouse gases then any other time in history by a long shot, I dont think it is a coincence all these changes are occuring

[QUOTE=Tok3535;2603925]well they keep pushing up the date they say it will melt, first they thought it was 2100, then 2050 now it may be this Summer

And in our industrial era we are using more greenhouse gases then any other time in history by a long shot, I dont think it is a coincence all these changes are occuring[/QUOTE]

What era are you talking about? Certainly, the damage caused during the Industrial Revolution had to have been insane. Are we just seeing the effects from that time now?

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2603923]You think Americans are fat and lazy, like big cars and big homes is the fault of the energy companies?[/QUOTE]

What is their fault is manipulating data and out and out lying about the long term effects of using this energy. It is their fault for sending lobbyists to bribe the politicians and procure political favor. It is their fault for buying scientists to spew garbage to the American people using voodoo science. It is their fault when they circumvented the political system in order to manipulate the population. Are they soley responsible for where we are at this point? No, there is blame to go around like I stated in my previous post. But there is already blood on their hands.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2603937]What era are you talking about? Certainly, the damage caused during the Industrial Revolution had to have been insane. Are we just seeing the effects from that time now?[/QUOTE]

As the population has increased over the decades, the problem has become exacerbated. When Great Britain decided to make the transfer to the dirty energy for WWI, we started really driving the nails in the coffin.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2603945]What is their fault is manipulating data and out and out lying about the long term effects of using this energy. It is their fault for sending lobbyists to bribe the politicians and procure political favor. It is their fault for buying scientists to spew garbage to the American people using voodoo science. It is their fault when they circumvented the political system in order to manipulate the population. Are they soley responsible for where we are at this point? No, there is blame to go around like I stated in my previous post. But there is already blood on their hands.[/QUOTE]

Who are you going to blame for the food shortage this fall? AMD or Nancy and Harry?

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2603959]Who are you going to blame for the food shortage this fall? AMD or Nancy and Harry?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I understand the question. There are a lot of issues with the food shortage. Certainly, the rising energy cost is an enormous factor. But, again, that is not the sole responsibility for the food shortage.

here is the bottom line that sums up our issues for the near future; [B]greed has become god around the world.[/B] End of discussion. There is so much food being wasted in the privileged countries, it is a crime. Just like the energy companies who are making record profits, yet claim that they cannot boost production which would alleviate some of the issues of getting food to its destination with greater economic ease.