Thread: Congress approved Bush's covert ops escalation against Iran

Jets Insider VIP

Congress approved Bush's covert ops escalation against Iran

Hopefully, none of us want to see another war but if diplomacy in all of its forms (multi-lateral, uni-lateral, UN, etc.) doesn't seem to be working with Iran, I have no problem with us continuing to do what we've always done - try to work from the inside out. Kudos to Congressional leadership.

If Democrats and Republicans, Congressional leaders and Bush, etc. want to continue railing on each other at press conferences and on the news then fine. But please do the right thing behind closed doors and agree on important measures that have the nation's best interest in mind. This seems to be a case of that.

I hate that these things get leaked but it just seems inevitable.

[QUOTE][B]U.S. escalating covert operations against Iran - report 42 minutes ago[/B]

U.S. congressional leaders agreed late last year to President George W. Bush's funding request for a major escalation of covert operations against Iran aimed at destabilizing its leadership, according to a report in The New Yorker magazine published online on Sunday.

The article by reporter Seymour Hersh, from the magazine's July 7 and 14 issue, centers around a highly classified Presidential Finding signed by Bush which by U.S. law must be made known to Democratic and Republican House and Senate leaders and ranking members of the intelligence committees.

"The Finding was focused on undermining Iran's nuclear ambitions and trying to undermine the government through regime change," the article cited a person familiar with its contents as saying, and involved "working with opposition groups and passing money."

Hersh has written previously about possible administration plans to go to war to stop Tehran from obtaining nuclear weapons, including an April 2006 article in the New Yorker that suggested regime change in Iran, whether by diplomatic or military means, was Bush's ultimate goal.

Funding for the covert escalation, for which Bush requested up to $400 million, was approved by congressional leaders, according to the article, citing current and former military, intelligence and congressional sources.

Clandestine operations against Iran are not new. U.S. Special Operations Forces have been conducting crossborder operations from southern Iraq since last year, the article said.

These have included seizing members of Al Quds, the commando arm of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, and taking them to Iraq for interrogation, and the pursuit of "high-value targets" in Bush's war on terrorism, who may be captured or killed, according to the article.

But the scale and the scope of the operations in Iran, which include the Central Intelligence Agency, have now been significantly expanded, the article said, citing current and former officials.

Many of these activities are not specified in the new finding, and some congressional leaders have had serious questions about their nature, it said.

Among groups inside Iran benefiting from U.S. support is the Jundallah, also known as the Iranian People's Resistance Movement, according to former CIA officer Robert Baer. Council on Foreign Relations analyst Vali Nasr described it to Hersh as a vicious organization suspected of links to al Qaeda.

The article said U.S. support for the dissident groups could prompt a violent crackdown by Iran, which could give the Bush administration a reason to intervene.

None of the Democratic leaders in Congress would comment on the finding, the article said. The White House, which has repeatedly denied preparing for military action against Iran, and the CIA also declined comment.

The United States is leading international efforts to rein in Iran's suspected effort to develop nuclear weapons, although Washington concedes Iran has the right to develop nuclear power for civilian uses.[/QUOTE]

When it's all over the News, it is not Covert.

Veteran
    Would be nice to just fire all of them.

countdown to sucker punch '08...

nevermind what the intel consensus said about Iran... they're part of that evil axis thing... let's bump some ships in the Gulf and get it on.... we spent billions on these weapons... we damn well better use them... yeah, i know they'll vaporize a U.S. base in Iraq... who cares?

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE]Clandestine operations against Iran are not new. U.S. Special Operations Forces have been conducting crossborder operations from southern Iraq since last year, the article said.[/QUOTE]

seems senility has hit Hirsch as he reported in 1/05 that America has held operations in Iran since the summer of 2004....or maybe senile syd will just keep writing this crap on the off-chance he gets it correct....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 06-29-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Iran knows they cant win against us, it is a bunch of blowhards banging their war drums!

Iran has been warring against America for 30 years now.

It's time America kicked some Iranian @ss.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I listened to an interview on NPR yesterday with senile Syd....he kept talking about America running operations in Iran for the past year yet at no point while I was listening (I probably caught 80% of the interview) were his accusations that America's been running operations in Iran since the summer of '04; four years running, ever brought up....

here was the best part- senile syd categorically denied Iran has done anything to foster or take part in the killing of American GI's- yet he admits Iran has been running guns and weapons into Iraq.....:coocoo::shakehead

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2609775][B]I listened to an interview on NPR [/B]yesterday with senile Syd....he kept talking about America running operations in Iran for the past year yet at no point while I was listening (I probably caught 80% of the interview) were his accusations that America's been running operations in Iran since the summer of '04; four years running, ever brought up....

here was the best part- senile syd categorically denied Iran has done anything to foster or take part in the killing of American GI's- yet he admits Iran has been running guns and weapons into Iraq.....:coocoo::shakehead[/QUOTE]

Wait, I thought you only listened to Rush and Hannity.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2608110]
    It's time America kicked some Iranian @ss.....[/QUOTE]

Well, some Americans, anyway.... doing it for you, while you're cheering from the sidelines, out of harm's way.... just let the Faux News channel wash over you...

Did you get your HD tv yet? Don't wanna miss any detail, i'm sure....

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2610008]Well, some Americans, anyway.... doing it for you, while you're cheering from the sidelines, out of harm's way.... just let the Faux News channel wash over you...

Did you get your HD tv yet? Don't wanna miss any detail, i'm sure....[/QUOTE]

I'll be cheering for the US from the sidelines while you and the Commie News Network cheer for the Iranians.....

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2610169]I'll be cheering for the US from the sidelines while you and the Commie News Network cheer for the Iranians.....[/QUOTE]

Really? Oops.... Wrong again, good little German... Won't be cheering at all...

Not that I'd expect a reasoned, articulate response from a Klan member like you, , but how exactly how would I be "communist," you overdramatic little Prussian Blue girl?

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2610179]Really? Oops.... Wrong again, good little German... Won't be cheering at all...

Not that I'd expect a reasoned, articulate response from a Klan member like you, , but how exactly how would I be "communist," you overdramatic little Prussian Blue girl?[/QUOTE]

Poor little commie.

It seems I got his turban in a wad......

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2610192]Poor little commie.

It seems I got his turban in a wad......[/QUOTE]

I knew it... Nothing to substantiate your claim... Just more bloviation based on feeling ...

What a limited, lightweight poster you are... An embarrassment to my home state... Go burn a cross...

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2610207]I knew it... Nothing to substantiate your claim... Just more bloviation based on feeling ...

What a limited, lightweight poster you are... An embarrassment to my home state... Go burn a cross...[/QUOTE]

More drama from the board harridan....

[QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2610207]I knew it... Nothing to substantiate your claim... Just more bloviation based on feeling ...

What a limited, lightweight poster you are... An embarrassment to my home state... Go burn a cross...[/QUOTE]
    ...the records of 3.2 zillion dollars worth of money laundering destroyed in WTC7...

Gee, I hope this isn't true. Iran is just a country of peace-loving people like all the other middle eastern countries. Why shouldn't they develop their nuclear energy program? Bush just wants more bid-free contracts for HaliburtonExxonMobilShell.

[img]http://meltyourfaceoff.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/tin-foil-hat.jpg[/img]

All League
    [QUOTE=Press_Coverage;2610008]Well, some Americans, anyway.... doing it for you, while you're cheering from the sidelines, out of harm's way.... just let the Faux News channel wash over you...

Did you get your HD tv yet? Don't wanna miss any detail, i'm sure....[/QUOTE]

I did my time. How about you?

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2610264]I did my time. How about you?[/QUOTE]

First, I wasn't talking to you... But i suppose you're welcome to butt in.

Anyhow, what are you talking about? Military time? What's your point? I'm not pro-occupation.... You are.
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 07-01-2008 at 07:27 PM.