Thread: Lieberman: U.S. May Be Attacked In 2009

Lieberman: U.S. May Be Attacked In 2009

What a lame argument.

[QUOTE]Lieberman: U.S. May Be Attacked In 2009

WASHINGTON, June 29, 2008
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (CBS) In describing the reasons he believes the Republicans' presumptive nominee for president would be better prepared than the Democrats' to lead the nation next January, Sen. Joe Lieberman said that history shows the United States would likely face a terrorist attack in 2009.

[B]"Our enemies will test the new president early," Lieberman, I-Conn., told Face The Nation host Bob Schieffer. "Remember that the truck bombing of the World Trade Center happened in the first year of the Clinton administration. 9/11 happened in the first year of the Bush administration." [/B]

Lieberman nonetheless distanced himself from remarks by McCain chief strategist Charlie Black, who came under criticism for suggesting in an interview that McCain's election chances would be improved if a terrorist attack occurred before November.

"Sometimes even the best of them say things that are not what they intended to say," Lieberman said. "Certainly the implications there I know were not what Charlie intended. And he apologized for it. Senator McCain said he didn't agree. And, of course, I feel the same way.

[B]"But here's the point. We're in a war against Islamist extremists who attacked us on 9/11. They've been trying to attack us in many, many ways since then." [/B]

A former Democratic nominee for vice president, Lieberman endorsed McCain for president because, he says, the Democratic Party he joined in the early 1960s is not reflected by the party's current leadership.

He also said that he feels McCain is better prepared to be commander in chief than Barack Obama. "[McCain] knows the world," Lieberman said. "He's been tested. He's ready to protect the security of the American people."

Lieberman also assailed Obama and fellow Senators who called for a timetable of withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and opposed the "surge" of additional U.S. forces pushed forth by President Bush.

"It's now working," Lieberman told Schieffer. "If we had done what Senator Obama asked us to do for the last couple of years, today Iran and al Qaeda would be in control of Iraq. It would be a terrible defeat for us and our allies in the Middle East and throughout the world. Instead, we've got a country that's defending itself, that's growing economically, where there's been genuine political reconciliation, and where Iran and al Qaeda are on the run. And that's the way it ought to be."

However, McCain's readiness was disputed by retired General Wesley Clark, who is backing Obama for president, despite McCain's storied military experience in Vietnam. "Well, I don't think riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to be president," he said.

(CBS)"I think Joe has it exactly backwards here," Clark told Schieffer. "I think being president is about having good judgment. It's about the ability to communicate. And what Barack Obama brings is incredible communication skills, proven judgment. You look at his meteoric rise in politics and you see a guy who deals with people well, who understands issues, who brings people together, and who has good judgment in moving forward.

"And I think what we need to do, Bob, is we need to stop talking about the old politics of left and right, and we need to pull together and move the country forward. And I think that's what Barack Obama will do.

“Because in the matters of national security policymaking, it's a matter of understanding risk. It's a matter of gauging your opponents and it's a matter of being held accountable. John McCain's never done any of that in his official positions. I certainly honor his service … But he hasn't held executive responsibility." [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/29/ftn/main4217516.shtml[/url]

yes, you must disregard hope and scoff at change. Instead vote out of fear.

[B]"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear — kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor — with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it."[/B] -- Douglas MacArthur

Does Lieberman think GW has been a bad President? Why would he say what he is saying if GW is to be considered a successful President vs. terrorism? GW fight against terror is considered to be a success because we have not been attacked on our homeland, well if you ignore the strange white powder letters.

[QUOTE=cr726;2607209]Does Lieberman think GW has been a bad President? Why would he say what he is saying if GW is to be considered a successful President vs. terrorism? GW fight against terror is considered to be a success because we have not been attacked on our homeland, well if you ignore the strange white powder letters.[/QUOTE]

Its just more fear mongoring, plain and simple. They trash Obama because he is running a campaign predicted on hope and change. Thats bad for the country in their minds. Instead lets manipulate the voters to be scared and pick our leaders out of fear and insecurity. How did that work out for us in 1968, 1972 and 2004?

Veteran
    I bet Lieberman wants to go to war with Iran more than anybody.

Is Lieberman desperate to be in the media?

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2607188]yes, you must disregard [B][U][SIZE="7"]hope[/SIZE][/U][/B] and scoff at [B][U][SIZE="7"]change[/SIZE][/U][/B]. Instead vote out of fear.[/QUOTE]

Wow, are you Obama? Or do you just echo his talking points?

Thus far I havn't seen anything about Obama that offers me hope, and the only change of note between him and most other Politicians is the color of his skin.

I wonder if all of the republicans and consrvatives are up in arms with Lieberman's outlandish invitation to our enemies.....

you know, like they were during the latest congressional hearings....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2607188]Instead vote out of fear.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes...the famous republican "We are all gonna die" platform. Tried and true until the population woke up and realized that voting out of fear is what giant walking vagina's would do...and since we are a country not made up entirely out of scared pu**ies...maybe we have decided to do different.

BTW...does Liebermann have any top teeth? JC....

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2607188]yes, you must disregard hope and scoff at change. Instead vote out of fear.

[B]"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear — kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor — with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it."[/B] -- Douglas MacArthur[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I'm going to lose my health insurance. I'm afraid if I get sick my insurance company will let me die. I'm afraid if we test our children for math, science, reading and writing that our schools will fail our children. I'm afraid if we don't start turning all of our crops into bio fuels the seas will rise and we all could drown. I'm afraid that John McCain is George Bush.

The politics of fear works that's why both parties use it as their primary method of getting votes. Fear is the reason both parties use fear, unscripted debates with an untested audience asking unkown questions is very scary for professionally run campaigns that have the money to shape public opinion without putting their real ideas on the table. That's why publicly financed campaigns are never going to happen and we won't see a large number of unscripted debates. Campaigns no longer have real ideas they test ideas for feedback in order to spin their postions as postively as possible based on polling data.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-30-2008 at 07:49 AM.

I agree with you, but you expect this out of the camps of the actual candidate. Lieberman is trying to make himself important and as soon as I hear his voice I fall asleep.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2607744]I'm afraid I'm going to lose my health insurance. I'm afraid if I get sick my insurance company will let me die. I'm afraid if we test our children for math, science, reading and writing that our schools will fail our children. I'm afraid if we don't start turning all of our crops into bio fuels the seas will rise and we all could drown. I'm afraid that John McCain is George Bush.

The politics of fear works that's why both parties use it as their primary method of getting votes. Fear is the reason both parties use fear, unscripted debates with an untested audience asking unkown questions is very scary for professionally run campaigns that have the money to shape public opinion without putting their real ideas on the table. That's why publicly financed campaigns are never going to happen and we won't see a large number of unscripted debates. Campaigns no longer have real ideas they test ideas for feedback in order to spin their postions as postively as possible based on polling data.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2607161]What a lame argument.

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/29/ftn/main4217516.shtml[/url][/QUOTE]

Huh? What's lame about what he said? He said based on history it's "likely" the terrorists would attack!

He was right about Clinton and Bush's first year! So he's merely saying they might do it again...even if McC is elected I think they might try it b/c they see all the anti-war crap, they might think even McC will blink if they try.

BTW, Hillary made the same observation about two failed attacks in UK the day after George Brown took office, so maybe that's the terrorists MO!

OTOH, since our security is much better than in '01 with our Intelligence folks and FBI working together, hopefully if they try an attack we'll catch it b/4 they succeed no matter whose prez!

Who are the they you keep talking about? I guess you think GW's war on terror isn't work too well then? The CIA and the FBI working well together since 9-11? That is funny stuff.

[QUOTE=asuusa;2609043]Huh? What's lame about what he said? He said based on history it's "likely" the terrorists would attack!

He was right about Clinton and Bush's first year! So he's merely saying they might do it again...even if McC is elected I think they might try it b/c they see all the anti-war crap, they might think even McC will blink if they try.

BTW, Hillary made the same observation about two failed attacks in UK the day after George Brown took office, so maybe that's the terrorists MO!

OTOH, since our security is much better than in '01 with our Intelligence folks and FBI working together, hopefully if they try an attack we'll catch it b/4 they succeed no matter whose prez![/QUOTE]

jeez...they might as well make it official and name Lieberman the Israeli ambassador to the US