View Poll Results: Do you see a draft in our Future ?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes We will have a draft

6 25.00%
  • No we will not have a draft

16 66.67%
  • I am unsure

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Draft

Hall Of Fame

Possible Draft

With all thats going on and our military spread so thin around the world how long will it be before we institute the draft ? If we go into Iran with the current escalations in Afganistan with the Taliban how do we continue to fight without more soliders and alot more money ? Should we anticipate more countries getting involved if we attack Iran ? Are we in the beginnings of WWIII ?

My views on the war and its progression aside how many of you think the draft is just around the corner ? Maybe a few years away . Of course you wont see any of the candidates mention the word draft but when they get in office it might be a very different situation. I dont see Obama doing it since he wants to end this war BUT I do however see McCain doing it.

Ill put a Poll up asap.

Actually, McCain talked about it early this week. He said a draft is not a possiblity and completely impractical at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2609938]Actually, McCain talked about it early this week. He said a draft is not a possiblity and completely impractical at this point.[/QUOTE]

Of course he said that Paulie . Did he say it responding to a question ? Becuase that would be important to know .

Hall Of Fame
    Also keep in mind denying the draft would be the correct stance politically and something he could easily back out of a few years from now if things take a turn for the worse

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609943]Of course he said that Paulie . Did he say it responding to a question ? Becuase that would be important to know .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think so. So what?

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609947]Also keep in mind denying the draft would be the correct stance politically and something he could easily back out of a few years from now if things take a turn for the worse[/QUOTE]

So if he says there's a draft, there's a draft.

If he says there's no draft, there's a draft.

If he ignores all draft talk, there's a draft.

These rules apply to Obama, but in reverse -- no draft, no draft, no draft.

Is that about right?

Hall Of Fame
    Well I dont think hes going to just come out and start talking about it. Do you ? There is a huge difference in being asked a question and volunteering information. Especially on such a subject.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609956]Well I dont think hes going to just come out and start talking about it. Do you ? There is a huge difference in being asked a question and volunteering information. Especially on such a subject.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why he would just come out and talk about it, either. There are no signs right now that a draft is an immediate possiblity or need.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2609951]So if he says there's a draft, there's a draft.

If he says there's no draft, there's a draft.

If he ignores all draft talk, there's a draft.

These rules apply to Obama, but in reverse -- no draft, no draft, no draft.

Is that about right?[/QUOTE]

Well regardless of this paulie the main question is will we have one. Political bullcrap aside. I see your point but I dont believe a damn word any politician says and thats why I posed the question.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609933]With all thats going on and our military spread so thin around the world how long will it be before we institute the draft ?[/QUOTE]

I do not predict that the Draft will be reinstated any time in the future in re: the current ongoing conflict with Radical Islam/Terrorism.

Of course, future events could change that (for example, if China got hostile and a shooting war broke out).

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609933]If we go into Iran with the current escalations in Afganistan with the Taliban how do we continue to fight without more soliders and alot more money ?[/QUOTE]

We will not be going into Iran under Bush. But yes, if (hypotheticaly) we invaded Iran pre-emptively, we would require additional soldiers and funding.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609933]Should we anticipate more countries getting involved if we attack Iran ?[/QUOTE]

Again, I do not believe we will invade Iran under Bush. But if (again hypotheticaly) we did, I would guess we would do it as part of a similar so-called "coalition" as was created for Iraq.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609933]Are we in the beginnings of WWIII ?[/QUOTE]

Many would say the Cold War already WAS World War III.

But no, I do not yet belive the conflict between Western Civilization and Radical Islam rises to the level of a World War. So no, I don't think we're in the beginnings of a World War.

However, with that said, ignoring the potential of radical Islam could lead to a future where such a World War could occur.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2609963]Well regardless of this paulie the main question is will we have one. Political bullcrap aside. I see your point but I dont believe a damn word any politician says and thats why I posed the question.[/QUOTE]

At this point, no I don't think there will be one. And it would take something very large scale to even start thinking about one -- a legitemate World War III, with the world's superpowers pitted against one another.

Hall Of Fame
    Well keep this in mind we have already sent alot of Reserve troops there and our national guard. I know this as fact becuse my cousin who is in the reserves has been sent 2 times already and he is anticipating getting called again. BTW my cousin is now 50 years old and has been in the reserves for a longggg time so its not like he just joined up and was sent.

If this war goes on as long as McCain says it will how long before our troops begin to get into their 4th tour of duty taken away from their familes ? Do we keep this type of situation going ? How many new recruits do you think sign up these days knowing they will be shipped off some time in the next year maybe sooner ? I would like to see the numbers of people who are signing up now as opposed to 15 years ago when there was no threat they would be sent off to an actual war in progress.

A draft with no deferments would actually be a great deterent to war and a powerful message to countries who want to screw with us at the same time.

I think a draft is already necessary and even essential, but most pols lack the kajones to take that position because they fear it will get them trounced at the polls, but IMO our troops are already worn to thin and we are asking too few of our young people to take on too much of the responsibility

Since I don't believe the war on terror is going away anytime soon, doubtful in my lifetime, and I believe our current troops are already worn to thin and unfairly carrying too much of the burden, in my view a draft is already essential and it will only become more so as the terrorists continue to plot (and execute) future attacks

JMO

Well then YAY! unlimited, unending war... Just like our corporate and evangelical masters always wanted it... And now we even have some Americans calling it "necessary"... Wow, has this ever played out just as the chickenhawks wanted.... Gotta have a draft so we can get the necessary man power to occupy a few more Muslim countries ...

I at least give you credit for being honest about it... That's refreshing, on some level... :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Press_Coverage; 07-02-2008 at 02:01 AM.

All League

Draft = Disaster for the military/country

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;2610014]I think a draft is already necessary and even essential, but most pols lack the kajones to take that position because they fear it will get them trounced at the polls, but IMO our troops are already worn to thin and we are asking too few of our young people to take on too much of the responsibility

Since I don't believe the war on terror is going away anytime soon, doubtful in my lifetime, and I believe our current troops are already worn to thin and unfairly carrying too much of the burden, in my view a draft is already essential and it will only become more so as the terrorists continue to plot (and execute) future attacks

JMO[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but this is 100% wrong-headed thinking. The only poeple who support a draft are people who

1: NEVER served in the military AND

2: Are past draft age

I'll tell you what, I was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army (11b) and that was what I WANTED to do when I joined the Army. I didn't want to be support, or a mechanic, or a Tanker. I wanted Infantry...and when I was a groundpounder, the LAST thing I would want next to me in a fighting position or movement to contact would be a conscripted draftee that never wanted to be there and didn't give a $hit about his training and serving his country honorably.

We have the finest Military in the world BECAUSE its a volunteer Military, and TRUST ME, they KNOW what they signed up for and what the risks are. Those that didn't "realize" what their obligation was and what that service meant I'm sorry for, but they joined the MILITARY, not the boy scouts. Those benefits came with an obligation.

A draft would DESTROY the Military, the way it nearly did in the aftermath of fighting Vietnam with a Draftee military.

As for race and class distinctions in the military, a look at the demographics of a typical Army Infantry unit, Ranger Unit, the Navy Seals, Marine Corps Force Recon, Air Force PJs, Coast Guard Rescue swimmers, or ANY of the hyper-dangerous VOLUNTEER Military units, and you will find that the majority of the personnel are Middle-Class white males.

A draft would completely collapse the Military, especially considering how stretched it is. Half the military would be used to police the other half.

Instead of a "Draft" for the military, I could see the formation of a new "Homeland Services" type department that could be used to take some burden offthe National Guard by fullfilling its post-disaster type missions and peaceful stateside roles.

Well said, Jet Engine 1! As a former ammo dog platoon leader, I couldn't even imagine how counter-productive it would be to deal with draftees. Cripes, it was hard enough to deal with the volunteers sometimes.

A draft would destroy the military, a little extreme don't you think? Israel seems to be doing pretty well with their mandatory committment.

For the record I served in the Marine Corps.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;2610284]Sorry, but this is 100% wrong-headed thinking. The only poeple who support a draft are people who

1: NEVER served in the military AND

2: Are past draft age

I'll tell you what, I was an Infantryman in the U.S. Army (11b) and that was what I WANTED to do when I joined the Army. I didn't want to be support, or a mechanic, or a Tanker. I wanted Infantry...and when I was a groundpounder, the LAST thing I would want next to me in a fighting position or movement to contact would be a conscripted draftee that never wanted to be there and didn't give a $hit about his training and serving his country honorably.

We have the finest Military in the world BECAUSE its a volunteer Military, and TRUST ME, they KNOW what they signed up for and what the risks are. Those that didn't "realize" what their obligation was and what that service meant I'm sorry for, but they joined the MILITARY, not the boy scouts. Those benefits came with an obligation.

A draft would DESTROY the Military, the way it nearly did in the aftermath of fighting Vietnam with a Draftee military.

As for race and class distinctions in the military, a look at the demographics of a typical Army Infantry unit, Ranger Unit, the Navy Seals, Marine Corps Force Recon, Air Force PJs, Coast Guard Rescue swimmers, or ANY of the hyper-dangerous VOLUNTEER Military units, and you will find that the majority of the personnel are Middle-Class white males.

A draft would completely collapse the Military, especially considering how stretched it is. Half the military would be used to police the other half.

Instead of a "Draft" for the military, I could see the formation of a new "Homeland Services" type department that could be used to take some burden offthe National Guard by fullfilling its post-disaster type missions and peaceful stateside roles.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [quote=Green Jets & Ham;2610014]I think a draft is already necessary and even essential, but most pols lack the kajones to take that position because they fear it will get them trounced at the polls, but IMO our troops are already worn to thin and we are asking too few of our young people to take on too much of the responsibility

[B]Since I don't believe the war on terror is going away anytime soon, doubtful in my lifetime, and I believe our current troops are already worn to thin and unfairly carrying too much of the burden, in my view a draft is already essential and it will only become more so as the terrorists continue to plot (and execute) future attacks[/B]

JMO[/quote]

Exactly, with the cancer in the mideast until eradicated there will be necessity for war until it is cut out and eliminated.

All League
    [QUOTE=cr726;2610299]A draft would destroy the military, a little extreme don't you think? Israel seems to be doing pretty well with their mandatory committment.

For the record I served in the Marine Corps.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Israel does very well with their mandatory commitment....Then again, they are a nation the size of, what, New Jersey? With an entire population that KNOWS they are surrounded by enemies that want to kill them all and eradicate their country, faith, and heritage. A population that is PROUD to serve their nation and take up arms to defend their homes and families.

So yeah, I guess Israels mandatory commitment is a good strategy for them...but having sreved in the Corps, would you want some dirtbag that didn't want to be there, couldn't give a f&ck about what he was doing, and had to be threatened with jail to serve as the guy covering you when you popped a door and made entry to a possible enemy-held position?

How about having some total weed-head draftee who didn't want to be there being the guy that was doing PMCS on your vehicles or equipment?