Thread: Google Silences Anti-Obama Blog Sites

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Google Silences Anti-Obama Blog Sites

"A threat to Democracy" I say!

[B][I]Google Shuts Down Anti-Obama Sites on its Blogger Platform [/I][/B]
    Posted by Warner Todd Huston on Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:18:40 PM
    -By Warner Todd Huston
    It looks like Google has officially joined the Barack Obama campaign and decided that its contribution would be to shut down any blog on the Google owned Blogspot.com blogging system that has an anti-Obama message. Yes, it sure seems that Google has begun to go through its many thousands of blogs to lock out the owners of anti-Obama blogs so that the noObama message is effectively squelched. Thus far, Google has terminated the access by blog owners to 7 such sites and the list may be growing. Boy, it must be nice for Barack Obama to have an ally powerful enough to silence his opponents like that!

It isn't just conservative sites that Google's Blogger platform is eliminating. For instance, [url]www.comealongway.blogspot.com[/url] has been frozen and this one is a Hillary supporting site. The operator of Come a Long Way has a mirror site off the Blogspot platform and has today posted this notice:

I used to have a happy internet home on Blogger: [url]www.comealongway.blogspot.com[/url]. Then on Wednesday night, June 25, I received the following e-mail:

Dear Blogger user,

This is a message from the Blogger team.

Your blog, at [url]http://comealongway.blogspot.com/[/url], has been identified as a potential spam blog. You will not be able to publish posts to your blog until we review your site and confirm that it is not a spam blog.

Sincerely,

The Blogger Team

It turns out that there is an interesting pattern where it concerns the blogs that Google's Blogspot team have summarily locked down on their service. They all belong to the Just Say No Deal coalition, a group of blogs that are standing against the Obama campaign. It seems the largest portion of these blogs are Hillary supporting blogs, too.

All I can say is, WOW! If Google is willing to abuse its power like this even against fellow leftists, what does it plan against conservatives, the folks Google hates even more!?

Here is a list of the Blogspot blogs that have been frozen by Google thus far:

Blue Lyon @ [url]http://bluelyon.blogspot.com[/url]
    Come A Long Way @ [url]http://comealongway.blogspot.com[/url]
    Hillary or Bust @ [url]http://hillaryorbust.blogspot.com[/url]
    McCain Democrats @ [url]http://mccaindemocrats.blogspot.com[/url]
    NObama Blog @ [url]http://nobamablog.blogspot.com[/url]
    politicallizard.blogspot.com @ [url]http://thelizardannex.blogspot.com[/url]
    Reflections in Tyme @ [url]http://reflections-in-tyme.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]http://publiusforum.blogtownhall.com/2008/06/29/google_shuts_down_anti-obama_sites_on_its_blogger_platform.thtml[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    isn't blog a free service? and as such can't Google do whatever they want?

this isn't really freedom of the press per se because Google owns the hardware and software these people are using for free.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No surprises here. Start by googling 'obama' then 'mccain'. (I just did, negative mentions all over McCain)

Then add identical (relevant) words like campaign, presidency, '08, etc. (I don't even have to Google them to know how laughably skewed the results will be)

In Google's defense, they can do as they like. And I am in this business and do not think it will matter an iota. The internet means transparency and no company is bigger than it, Google included. If YouTube buries one juicy video, it will pop up on a competitor and - voila - a new player is born born. Drudgereport might be out of business or just an obscurity if Newsweek didn't kill the story (lol) for pro-Clinton bias. And if there's a story out there worth pursuing, the Internet will get there. How many times will we learn this lesson?
    Last edited by sackdance; 07-02-2008 at 04:22 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2611712]isn't blog a free service? and as such can't Google do whatever they want?

this isn't really freedom of the press per se because Google owns the hardware and software these people are using for free.[/QUOTE]

That is true. And it's also just another reason that if you guys want to start a website, screw blogger and go WordPress.

It's not that Google will shut you down (though they could), but at the end of the day, you are part of their profit plan. WordPress is totally open source and a bit of a wonder. And, I think, kicking Bloggers as*.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2611712]isn't blog a free service? and as such can't Google do whatever they want?

this isn't really freedom of the press per se because Google owns the hardware and software these people are using for free.[/QUOTE]right mr left wing supporter.transparent henchmen.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2611699]"A threat to Democracy" I say!
    [/QUOTE]
    I call reverse racism!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

this isn't really freedom of the press per se because Google owns the hardware and software these people are using for free.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct.

Google, as a private business, has the unquestionable right to crush free speech on their sites in any form they wish.

Now that the "is it legal" argument is out of the way, do you agree with and support their move Bit? How do you feel about this move (if it's true)?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2611763]Now that the "is it legal" argument is out of the way, do you agree with and support their move Bit? How do you feel about this move (if it's true)?[/QUOTE]
    And in addition the 'equal opportunity' on radio nonsense that the left peddles...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet your all for the (un)fairness doctrine that will silence talk radio, eventhough the sations are privatly owend
    Last edited by acepepe; 07-02-2008 at 05:31 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;2611822]I'll bet your all for the (un)fairness doctrine that will silence talk radio, eventhough the sations are privatly owened[/QUOTE]

Actually, in fairness, I do not think Bit supports that legislation. I could be wrong, of course.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2611834]Actually, in fairness, I do not think Bit supports that legislation. I could be wrong, of course.[/QUOTE]

I'll bet ijf, nuu, and gengis khan do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep hearing the complaints about Corporate lobbying, profiling, privacy, wire taps and now we have a huge business that has a record of all our searches, e-mails, purchases a dossier on not just the American public but people all over the world that would make J Edgar himself cream in his pants, actively working for a political candidate who is likely to hold the most powerful political office in the world.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=acepepe;2611867]I'll bet ijf, nuu, and gengis khan do.[/QUOTE]

Oh IJF I have no doubt. If he could wiggle his nose, witch-style, and make Rush and all the other Right-Wing talkers dissapear forever, I'd take even money he'd do it in a heartbeat and without a second thought. :rolleyes:

Nuu I have FAR more respect for. He's a pretty dedicated lefty, yes, but a GOOD Lefty, one of the best on this site IMO. While I think some of what the doctrine calls for may appeal to him, if it came down to it, I don't think he'd support it as it is today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There would be 4 threads per day if JI does what Google has. What would Dean, HD, CB and SackD do with all of that free time?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2611874]There would be 4 threads per day if JI does what Google has. What would Dean, HD, CB and SackD do with all of that free time?[/QUOTE]

So you're assuming "JI: The Facist Version" would bar the righties, eh?;);)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2611873]Oh IJF I have no doubt. If he could wiggle his nose, witch-style, and make Rush and all the other Right-Wing talkers dissapear forever, I'd take even money he'd do it in a heartbeat and without a second thought. :rolleyes:

Nuu I have FAR more respect for. He's a pretty dedicated lefty, yes, but a GOOD Lefty, one of the best on this site IMO. While I think some of what the doctrine calls for may appeal to him, if it came down to it, I don't think he'd support it as it is today.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the kind words.

I have no use at all for the fairness doctrine, personally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2611874]There would be 4 threads per day if JI does what Google has. What would Dean, HD, CB and SackD do with all of that free time?[/QUOTE]
    Not sure, but I'm not on record as saying the only reason I come to JI is to antagonize people who differ from me.

ANYWAY, check this: [url]http://www.comealongway.blogspot.com/[/url] This is a pro-Hillary site that was squelched and then unsquelched on Jun 30th. (They are going to WordPress)

It would be nice to see if the left can, instead of trying to legislate against talk radio, start some of their own...what's that? Air America? Oh, I forgot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the content of this thread goes, I am unconvinced.

Google is such a massive system, the idea that the people running it are policing relatively mainstream political blogs strikes me as unlikely. These guys are pretty smart.

More likely, what you have is some freelancing Obama supporters finding ways to manipulate search results (routine practice of advertisiers, fyi) and perhaps filing bogus spam reports about blogs they don't like.

I do not think the Obama campaign is behind it. But its well known he has a hge advantage in terms of support from people on the internet and, particualrly, people who are really savvy about the internet. I wouldn;t be surprised to see some of them creating a little mischief.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2611873]Oh IJF I have no doubt. If he could wiggle his nose, witch-style, and make Rush and all the other Right-Wing talkers dissapear forever, I'd take even money he'd do it in a heartbeat and without a second thought. :rolleyes:

Nuu I have FAR more respect for. He's a pretty dedicated lefty, yes, but a GOOD Lefty, one of the best on this site IMO. While I think some of what the doctrine calls for may appeal to him, if it came down to it, I don't think he'd support it as it is today.[/QUOTE]

You would lose that money in a heartbeat. :zzz:

You can believe what you want as is your right. Now I am not 100% sure, but I am willing to bet even money that I have said at least seven times that I am not for this 'fairness doctrine'. I may have mentioned it more then that. Of course, in the end, we will believe what we want to believe and let the facts be damned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2611919]You would lose that money in a heartbeat. :zzz:

You can believe what you want as is your right. Now I am not 100% sure, but I am willing to bet even money that I have said at least seven times that I am not for this 'fairness doctrine'. I may have mentioned it more then that. Of course, in the end, we will believe what we want to believe and let the facts be damned.[/QUOTE]

Clearly the actions of Google certainly warrant a thorough "investigation". How can you be sure that nothing more ominous was going on here? And how is Rupurt Murdoch buying Newsday more of a threat to "Democracy" than the devious censoring performed by Google?