• Cim Bom

1 4.55%
  • Wood FC

1 4.55%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vote: All Time Team

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots-o-talent on those rosters...very tuff to call. However, having Klinnsman, Beckenbaueur, AND Vinnie Jones...tipping point for me. Jones=total badass.

Of course, Raoul, kind of interesting you'd have him on your team after this clip-LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx49T5WJ3vI

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Lots-o-talent on those rosters...very tuff to call. However, having Klinnsman, Beckenbaueur, AND Vinnie Jones...tipping point for me. Jones=total badass.

Of course, Raoul, kind of interesting you'd have him on your team after this clip-LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx49T5WJ3vI
    Thanks for the vote!

LMAO. Excellent clip. I'm a bit on the fence with that type of player: not much talent but strikes fear into the heart of the guys he's up against. Love to have him on your team, but think he's a thug when he's not. I would've prefered Keane.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Thanks for the vote!

LMAO. Excellent clip. I'm a bit on the fence with that type of player: not much talent but strikes fear into the heart of the guys he's up against. Love to have him on your team, but think he's a thug when he's not. I would've prefered Keane.
    Souness was better than both because he could actually play as well as become a thug when needed...

The Guardian ran a story today about the enforcers in football...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20...alls_hard.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Souness was better than both because he could actually play as well as become a thug when needed...

The Guardian ran a story today about the enforcers in football...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20...alls_hard.html
    I did vote for you and I think the presence of Souness is one of the things that tipped it for me. A very talented, but brutal player - one of the best to have ever played for my club.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, some of the clips linked on that blog are hilarious. One of the Souness ones is laugh-out-loud stuff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Turk, what is the view of Kewell to Gala there?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    I did vote for you .
    Thanks.

About Kewell almost everyone is very excited, (I actually asked about him to you in the "for the 17th time" )

Personally I'm worried about his injuries, if he can stay healthy he'll be a steal at 1.8 mil $ a year and no transfer fee, but that's a big if.

Turkish press is reporting that we're also looking at another Aussie, Lucas Neill. Any thoughts on him?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Thanks.

About Kewell almost everyone is very excited, (I actually asked about him to you in the "for the 17th time" )

Personally I'm worried about his injuries, if he can stay healthy he'll be a steal at 1.8 mil $ a year and no transfer fee, but that's a big if.

Turkish press is reporting that we're also looking at another Aussie, Lucas Neill. Any thoughts on him?
    Was llnked to Liverpool a couple of seasons ago, from memory: we had virtually signed him but he had a better offer from West Ham and jumped ship.

Solid player, comfortable on the ball - not much going forward, but as a defender he's well worth the little you'll pay for him. It was Neill who 'cost' us a late penalty against Italy in the '06 World Cup, after Fabio Grosso went down like he'd been shot after no contact. Lost us the game - admittedly we didn't deserve to win it - Kewell was injured (!!) that game.

Neill can play across the defensive line - he always made Blackburn and the Hammers play better when he was in the side, also a model professional, so no worries about him being a disruption in the dressing room.

I'll answer your Kewell question in the other thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I canít believe Paulie is 2nd with 6 votes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t believe Paulie is 2nd with 6 votes.
    These things are generally: "the most names I recognise" contests (says me with the most votes!!). I don't think American sports fans sit around discussing the merits of various defensive midfielders, in other words.

Like I said, and I think you've said as well: Paulie has an awesomely talented squad, but no holding midfielders to bring it all together. Not even the greatest Italian defensive talent, playing on the last line, would be able to handle what was coming at them with no defensive cover in front of them to break off attacks - they would get swamped.

Apologies to Paulie for ripping apart his squad. (!!)

I was lucky enough to draft a player whose name has become associated with the holding role in Makelele - and the other mid I put in beside him in a backward role was not only a great defensive mid, but a really good attacking one as well (Vieira). Made sure I also had a holding mid on the bench in Mascherano, too.

The defensive mid is such an important player - Rafa Benitez has made an art of collecting them in recent years. Lucas, who will play for Brazil in the Olympics, looks set to replace the fantastic Xabi Alonso and in Mascherano we have one of the very best in the world at the moment. He has picked up a slew of other 'holding mids' as well, none of which can find their way into the lineup at this stage for obvious reasons.

Makelele has been sensational wherever he's gone - great at Chelsea, Madrid, France. Talking of Chelsea, Essien is a great 'interupter' of opposition attacks as well, though its true he is also very good going forward like Vieira. I can't actually think of a team that's won anything of merit in the last 15 years that hasn't had at least a very good holding mid. Just look at the job Senna did for Spain at the Euros - my pick as player of the tournament - great player. Completely shut out Russia's Arsharvin in the semi, let alone what he did in every other game he played in.
    Last edited by Soberphobia; 07-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    These things are generally: "the most names I recognise" contests (says me with the most votes!!). I don't think American sports fans sit around discussing the merits of various defensive midfielders, in other words.

Like I said, and I think you've said as well: Paulie has an awesomely talented squad, but no holding midfielders to bring it all together. Not even the greatest Italian defensive talent, playing on the last line, would be able to handle what was coming at them with no defensive cover in front of them to break off attacks - they would get swamped.

Apologies to Paulie for ripping apart his squad. (!!)

I was lucky enough to draft a player whose name has become associated with the holding role in Makelele - and the other mid I put in beside him in a backward role was not only a great defensive mid, but a really good attacking one as well (Vieira). Made sure I also had a holding mid on the bench in Mascherano, too.

The defensive mid is such an important player - Rafa Benitez has made an art of collecting them in recent years. Lucas, who will play for Brazil in the Olympics, looks set to replace the fantastic Xabi Alonso and in Mascherano we have one of the very best in the world at the moment. He has picked up a slew of other 'holding mids' as well, none of which can find their way into the lineup at this stage for obvious reasons.

Makelele has been sensational wherever he's gone - great at Chelsea, Madrid, France. Talking of Chelsea, Essien is a great 'interupter' of opposition attacks as well, though its true he is also very good going forward like Vieira. I can't actually think of a team that's won anything of merit in the last 15 years that hasn't had at least a very good holding mid. Just look at the job Senna did for Spain at the Euros - my pick as player of the tournament - great player. Completely shut out Russia's Arsharvin in the semi, let alone what he did in every other game he played in.
    You nailed it.

I think the holding MF position is (are) the most important guy(s) on the field. You simply cannot win if don’t dominate the midfield battle. All the examples you cite are the perfect illustration.

Paulie should have at least put in Gattuso.

Woody too, was too trigger happy IMO. I might have voted for him with a different formation. But 1 holding MF + 3 defenders just can’t work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You nailed it.

I think the holding MF position is (are) the most important guy(s) on the field. You simply cannot win if donít dominate the midfield battle. All the examples you cite are the perfect illustration.

Woody too, was too trigger happy IMO. I might have voted for him with a different formation. But 1 holding MF + 3 defenders just canít work.
    We were hampered by the fact we had to have two strikers - despite the fact I think I have three of the best defenders playing the game at the back in Baresi, Charles and Sammer - I would have liked to have played 4 at the back, especially with some of the attacking talent we were up against. I would have put Batistuta on the bench, played Eusebio as the lone target man, Maradona in the hole behind him, and Ronaldinho and Messi as the wide players.

My extra defender would have been Dani Alves: put him on the right - he is a super defender, but bombing forward he is absolute dynamite - thus I'd get an extra defender while not losing the attacking element. I think that would have given my team better balance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a look at Woody's team: Roy Keane on the bench!! Keane should have defo been starting - TBH if I had a choice I'd probably swap him in his pomp for Vieira. Think he's also got Beckham on the left and Cantona up front - like you say, out of position. I would have brought Raul on as the mandatory second striker, but then you have three players (Cruijff, Zidane and Cantona) basically jockeying for the same position in the hole. Zidane you can possibly play on the right (meaning Becks gets axed), Cruijff in the hole, and then you'd have to bring a left sided player if you ask me. Cantona on the bench, for sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW: I thought that Woody had drafted superbly - probably the best out of all of us, but as you say, his formation doesn't get the best out of his squad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing as I don't know a whole lot about soccer history, I tried to draft players based on readings online and a little research. I'm guessing from the 0 votes that my team isn't on the same level as others, which begs the question, what are the weaknesses exactly, more of curiosity as I try to learn more about the history of the sport

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You nailed it.

I think the holding MF position is (are) the most important guy(s) on the field. You simply cannot win if donít dominate the midfield battle. All the examples you cite are the perfect illustration.

Woody too, was too trigger happy IMO. I might have voted for him with a different formation. But 1 holding MF + 3 defenders just canít work.
    Have you guys seen 1970 World Cup? I will take Pele-midfielder against ANYONE.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    T

Can anyone remember 1982 Brazilian squad? The team was out of this world! The only problem - goaly was not reliable. We all know how it ended.
    This is the sole reason i cannot vote for Black Death. I cannot trust his GK to not screw up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a look at Woody's team: Roy Keane on the bench!! Keane should have defo been starting - TBH if I had a choice I'd probably swap him in his pomp for Vieira. Think he's also got Beckham on the left and Cantona up front - like you say, out of position. I would have brought Raul on as the mandatory second striker, but then you have three players (Cruijff, Zidane and Cantona) basically jockeying for the same position in the hole. Zidane you can possibly play on the right (meaning Becks gets axed), Cruijff in the hole, and then you'd have to bring a left sided player if you ask me. Cantona on the bench, for sure.
    Yeah Ill be honest I had no clue what I was doing when making my lineup. I had too many attacking midfielders and thats why I put Keane on the bench.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Can anyone remember 1982 Brazilian squad? The team was out of this world! The only problem - goaly was not reliable. We all know how it ended.
    This is the sole reason i cannot vote for Black Death. I cannot trust his GK to not screw up.
    Can't understand the hate for Chilavert. He was world GK of the year for two years in a row - an absolute wall in his pomp. When you consider the players he was up against to win that award (Schmeichal etc) you can see that he was a great GK. Then you add to that his free kick ability and you have a great GK with something a bit extra on top. The fact he played most of his career in South America doesn't mean he wasn't a great GK.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Yeah Ill be honest I had no clue what I was doing when making my lineup. I had too many attacking midfielders and thats why I put Keane on the bench.
    Yep: like I said, I thought you drafted the best out of all of us. If the vote had of been for pure drafting, you would have got my vote in a canter - you and Paulie picked up incredible talent right throughout the draft.