Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Best Team Ever

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paulie FC

6 27.27%
  • FC Biatch

1 4.55%
  • Grand FC

1 4.55%
  • FC Deadringer

0 0%
  • FC Bacon

0 0%
  • Soccer Riots Seem Fun

3 13.64%
  • Team Black Death

9 40.91%
  • Cim Bom

1 4.55%
  • Wood FC

1 4.55%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vote: All Time Team

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    These things are generally: "the most names I recognise" contests (says me with the most votes!!). I don't think American sports fans sit around discussing the merits of various defensive midfielders, in other words.

Like I said, and I think you've said as well: Paulie has an awesomely talented squad, but no holding midfielders to bring it all together. Not even the greatest Italian defensive talent, playing on the last line, would be able to handle what was coming at them with no defensive cover in front of them to break off attacks - they would get swamped.

Apologies to Paulie for ripping apart his squad. (!!)

I was lucky enough to draft a player whose name has become associated with the holding role in Makelele - and the other mid I put in beside him in a backward role was not only a great defensive mid, but a really good attacking one as well (Vieira). Made sure I also had a holding mid on the bench in Mascherano, too.

The defensive mid is such an important player - Rafa Benitez has made an art of collecting them in recent years. Lucas, who will play for Brazil in the Olympics, looks set to replace the fantastic Xabi Alonso and in Mascherano we have one of the very best in the world at the moment. He has picked up a slew of other 'holding mids' as well, none of which can find their way into the lineup at this stage for obvious reasons.

Makelele has been sensational wherever he's gone - great at Chelsea, Madrid, France. Talking of Chelsea, Essien is a great 'interupter' of opposition attacks as well, though its true he is also very good going forward like Vieira. I can't actually think of a team that's won anything of merit in the last 15 years that hasn't had at least a very good holding mid. Just look at the job Senna did for Spain at the Euros - my pick as player of the tournament - great player. Completely shut out Russia's Arsharvin in the semi, let alone what he did in every other game he played in.

Great post. I'm such a silly American.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Great post. I'm such a silly American.
    Ouch! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that - Americans are not silly. It's just that soccer is not their top priority. Grid Iron and baseball are.

Feel I've put you offside now. Didn't mean to. :

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like that - Americans are not silly. It's just that soccer is not their top priority. Grid Iron and baseball are.

Feel I've put you offside now. Didn't mean to. :
    hahaha, no, don't worry about it, that's what I meant. Baseball and football (American) are the big deals over here. Soccer will always be a sport for little kids. There's very little exposure over here, so that's why I didn't really take into account the tactic of putting together a complete team.

No worries, I was agreeing with you. Thanks for the constructive criticism, I really did appreciate it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    hahaha, no, don't worry about it, that's what I meant. Baseball and football (American) are the big deals over here. Soccer will always be a sport for little kids. There's very little exposure over here, so that's why I didn't really take into account the tactic of putting together a complete team.

No worries, I was agreeing with you. Thanks for the constructive criticism, I really did appreciate it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Batman could have played Puskas as his left winger - one of the greatest left sided players of all time, with Di Stefano up front. Francescoli/Tevez/Scheva on the attacking right - perhaps a little out of position, but you could push them more central and have Deco play more right in an on-the-pitch situation.

I prefer this lineup, and I would probably have voted for it:

Funny, I read as much as I could on drafting players, and basically overthought the picks. But I'm still happy with the whole concept. I appreciate you guys looking over the various teams and seeing where they could be improved, if for no other reason, then to evaluate how ou drafted and who true soccer fans think are overrated/underrated who's someone I should look into more, general historically speaking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so i guess black death wins?

in that case, congratulations are in order

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post

Second place!

Or, best overall American.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer View Post

+1.

Honorable mention for Woody. The more I look at his draft, the more I think he could've fielded the best overall team.