Thread: Obama picks 75,000-seat stadium for convention speech

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Obama picks 75,000-seat stadium for convention speech

[url]http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/07/obama-picks-75000-seat-stadium-for-convention-speech/[/url]

[QUOTE]
    [B]Obama picks 75,000-seat stadium for convention speech[/B]

From CNN's Richard Allen Greene
    July 7, 2008

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Barack Obama will give his main speech of the Democratic National Convention at a 75,000-seat stadium rather than the 20,000-seat hall where the convention is taking place, convention organizers announced Monday.

Obama will accept the Democratic nomination for president at Denver's Invesco Field at Mile High on August 28.

The move is likely to put him in front of a much larger audience than normal for a political speech, even for a presidential nominee.

[IMG]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/07/art.invesco.gi.jpg[/IMG]
    [SIZE="1"]Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field, home of the Denver Broncos.[/SIZE]

Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean said Monday he did not know how much the move would add to the cost of the convention. Anita Dunn, a senior advisor to the Obama campaign, said Obama would help with fund-raising for the event.

Dean on Sunday rejected a newspaper report that the convention was over budget and facing "upwardly spiraling costs."

He issued a statement in which he said "that is false" five times in response to five claims in a New York Times article about convention planning, and he insisted again on Monday that convention planning is on track.

The party officially started preparing on Monday for the Pepsi Center to host the event, which runs August 25-28.

Convention organizers portrayed the move to Invesco Field as a reflection of Obama's success at encouraging people to vote for the first time.

"Barack Obama's campaign for change has inspired millions of Americans and brought people into the political process who might never have been involved," said the convention's co-chair, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. "This change in the convention program will allow thousands of first-time participants a chance to take part."

Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew a crowd of approximately 75,000. He has done at least one previous stadium event, a joint appearance with talk show host Oprah Winfrey at Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina that drew about 29,000 people.

John F. Kennedy accepted the Democratic nomination for president in 1960 at Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, a 92,500-seat stadium in which an estimated 80,000 people gathered for his speech.[/QUOTE]

Impressive
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-07-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome definetly gonna be able to fill up the Stadium. Good Decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    from the campaign email:

[quote]If you make a donation of $5 or more between now and midnight on July 31st, you could be one of 10 supporters chosen to fly to Denver and spend two days and nights at the convention, meet Barack backstage, and watch his acceptance speech in person. Each of the ten supporters who are selected will be able to bring one guest to join them.[/quote]

This is gonna be a huge huge money maker. Obama will blast McCain and he's gonna use grass roots to do it.

say what you want about the candidates themselves or their platforms but Team Obama is beating the crap out of Team McCain... which isn't surprising b/c Team Clinton was arguably better than the two remaining choices.

Follow the money, all the smart money says this contest is over. intrade has Obama above 66!

ps- don't ever go against an irish bookmaker

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's actually sad when a presidential candidate cant get as many people to see him speak as a freakin football team can. Tells you alot about the political interest of this nation, but I'll bet he fills that place easily and displays like this will get alot of people motivated like the Portland speech did. This is a brilliant move by his campaign, but they better deliver a packed house or it will backfire terribly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2618367]It's actually sad when a presidential candidate cant get as many people to see him speak as a freakin football team can. Tells you alot about the political interest of this nation, but I'll bet he fills that place easily and displays like this will get alot of people motivated like the Portland speech did. This is a brilliant move by his campaign, but they better deliver a packed house or it will backfire terribly.[/QUOTE]
    It will be a layup for him.

And I don't want to live in a country where candidate events outperform football games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2618392]It will be a layup for him.

And I don't want to live in a country where candidate events outperform football games.[/QUOTE]

of course you don't, why would you want more citizens interested in the policies of its nation than in the policies of an NFL front office????

are you serious

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2618407]of course you don't, why would you want more citizens interested in the [B]policies of its nation[/B] than in the policies of an NFL front office????

are you serious[/QUOTE]

I am. This isn't the "policies of its nation". It a pre-packaged pep rally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mean Bro Green;2618407]of course you don't, why would you want more citizens interested in the policies of its nation than in the policies of an NFL front office????

are you serious[/QUOTE]
    Being interested in politics is very different than being entertained by politics.

The stadium thing would a) probably be full and b) could help Obama - but how much sizzle does he need, anyway?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2618417]Being interested in politics is very different than being entertained by politics.

The stadium thing would a) probably be full and b) could help Obama - but how much sizzle does he need, anyway?[/QUOTE]

I don't look at it that way and I don't care who the candidate is, my point is that in a country with such freedoms and rights it is a shame to see such low voter turnout and interest

I think that when a presidential candidate is making a speech of this magnitude it would be great to see 75K there in support and interest than 20 K, the same should be said for either candidate not just Obama

I think when you can attract 75K for a football game or 100K for a car race then a presidential candidate should get as much or more interest, how can you determine if they are interested or entertained? If they are there and experience either or both it is great, more people need to take a stake in this country and exercise our right to vote and be heard regardless of who wins or what agenda they may have

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;2618417]Being interested in politics is very different than being entertained by politics.

The stadium thing would a) probably be full and b) could help Obama - but how much sizzle does he need, anyway?[/QUOTE]

if the roles were reversed and it was McCain filling stadiums you'd be creaming your jeans.

Obama isn't a candidate for President, he's a machine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's very good politics for a number of reasons.

First of all, that speech was always going to give him a huge bump. It just so happens --and was scheduled a long time ago, when HRC was inevitable, to do so-- to fall on the 40th anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech. The coverage will be overwhelming, moreso than usual because of the history involved.

Second, it will also dictate the coverage of McCain's acceptance speech a week later. Every single account will note that he gave a less impressive speech (this is given, because Obama is a gifted orator and McCain is terrible on the stump) to a much smaller crowd. An event designed to elevate the candidate will wind up making him look small time.

Obama has an advantage in terms of his raw political skills, and he is pressing it hard here. Like I said, very good politics.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2617622]from the campaign email:

This is gonna be a huge huge money maker. Obama will blast McCain and he's gonna use grass roots to do it.

say what you want about the candidates themselves or their platforms but Team Obama is beating the crap out of Team McCain... which isn't surprising b/c Team Clinton was arguably better than the two remaining choices.

Follow the money, all the smart money says this contest is over. intrade has Obama above 66!

ps- don't ever go against an irish bookmaker[/QUOTE]

I agree, Obama in a landslide. Even if Clinton was the Nom, I would have said Clinton in a landslide too. McCain is "dead candidate walking".

But "grassroots"? Lol. When Obama wins in a landslide, it won't be "grassroots" that propels him. He'll crush McCain for one reason, G.W. Bush.

Gird your loins Bit, your man will be making the decisions, with a fully Democrat Congress, soon enough. Lets all hope they do better, eh?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2618469]if the roles were reversed and it was McCain filling stadiums you'd be creaming your jeans.

Obama isn't a candidate for President, he's a machine.[/QUOTE]
    Hardly. If you recall the only preference I had in the Republican primary was "anybody but McCain". And it looked pretty good for awhile.

So I don't like McCain. But your machine is butt-awful, so I left supporting McCain.

And machines lose all the time, bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2618527]
    But "grassroots"? Lol. When Obama wins in a landslide, it won't be "grassroots" that propels him. He'll crush McCain for one reason, G.W. Bush.[/quote]

I was referring to his donors but yeah W helps alot

[QUOTE=Warfish;2618527]Gird your loins Bit, your man will be making the decisions, with a fully Democrat Congress, soon enough. Lets all hope they do better, eh?[/QUOTE]

they can't possibly do worse. People talk about spending under a democratic regime, will they expand spending by a trillion dollars in 8 years? because that's what Bush did...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2618568]I was referring to his donors but yeah W helps alot [/QUOTE]

The majority of his donations (tracking in cash) comes from big-dollar donators, big business and special interests.

The majority of his donators (tracker per donatior) is done by "small guys/grassroots".

I'm sure you believe Obama is different in your heart. Thus far, reality doesn't prove that out, but we'll see soon enough, won't we?

President Obama. We all better get used to saying that.