Thread: OT A Billionaires' Energy Idea

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

OT A Billionaires' Energy Idea

I figure it will go to the politics and world events eventually but let it flow for a little while mods. Things need to change of course and the root of all of it is that some people either don't care or don't know.

This post is overtly political, but not partisan.

T. Boone Pickens is a crusty 80 year old Texas billionaire oilman. Here is a brief bio of him:
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Boone_Pickens[/url]

Normally Pickens is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but now he has a decidedly Democratic-style idea: Massive new private and government spending for the increase of wind energy and long distance electrical power distribution systems in the United States.

This is a very complicated subject, but I don't think too many folks oppose wind energy . . . . unless the wind power farm is located near their home!

In a nutshell, Pickens argues for a 20-fold increase in US wind power generation and an elimination of Natural Gas as a fuel for electrical generation. He further argues that Natural Gas could be more widely used as an interim transportation fuel before all-electric vehicles take over.

Pickens is investing heavily into wind power, so we already know that his motives are not completely altruistic, however, after much study I can say that I strongly endorse his strategic plan. It will be effective in reducing our dependence on foreign oil, it will reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the long run and it won't cost much more than what we're currently paying the power company.

Many countries are already ahead of the US in wind energy (as a percentage of total national production).

The US is in big trouble on many fronts and energy is one of the more serious concerns. Foreign oil dependence abets poverty, pollution, terrorism, CO2 emissions, war, etc. We simply must stop the insanity.
    Wind energy is NOT a total answer to the energy question, but it can be a significant partial answer.

Watch this 5 minute video when you have the time.

[url]http://push.pickensplan.com/video/video/show?id=2187034%3AVideo%3A175[/url]

If you argee with the Pickens Plan, then please forward this email onto your serious-minded friends.

Then both aisles of the US Congress will give us what we want if we demand action loudly and often. Do not underestimate the power of grass roots ideas.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've said it for years..
    Dubya is a shill for one industry-oil. Believe it or weep.
    This administration (if you can call it that) has set this country back 25-50 years.

We seriously need to develop any and all alternatives. Now. It's crippling our economy. Now.

Put tons of people to work IN OUR COUNTRY (As opposed to every other developing country) NOW by investing in alternative energy production IN OUR COUNTRY. We don't produce much oil. Why support the industry? It's killing us literally, figuratively, culturally, internationally and monetarily.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTjetfan52;2619796]I've said it for years..
    This administration (if you can call it that) has set this country back 25-50 years.

We seriously need to develop any and all alternatives. Now. It's crippling our economy. Now.

Put tons of people to work IN OUR COUNTRY (As opposed to every other developing country) NOW by investing in alternative energy production IN OUR COUNTRY. [/QUOTE]

+1

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that.

Listen to all the bellowing idiots of right wing radio and they will reiterate the right's stance ---drill, drill, and refine more and more. Oil is king. Let's keep our "smokestack industries" intact, drill the F out of our land, and keep the status quo, global warming isn't a problem, etc.

These are some of the most dangerous people the world has seen in ages.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Put tons of people to work IN OUR COUNTRY (As opposed to every other developing country) NOW by investing in alternative energy production IN OUR COUNTRY. We don't produce much oil. Why support the industry? It's killing us literally, figuratively, culturally, internationally and monetarily.[/QUOTE]

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=I against I;2619321]I figure it will go to the politics and world events eventually but let it flow for a little while mods. Things need to change of course and the root of all of it is that some people either don't care or don't know.

[B]This post is overtly political, but not partisan.
    [/B]
    T. Boone Pickens is a crusty 80 year old Texas billionaire oilman. Here is a brief bio of him:
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Boone_Pickens[/url]

Normally Pickens is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but now he has a decidedly Democratic-style idea: Massive new private and government spending for the increase of wind energy and long distance electrical power distribution systems in the United States.

This is a very complicated subject, but I don't think too many folks oppose wind energy . . . . unless the wind power farm is located near their home!

In a nutshell, Pickens argues for a 20-fold increase in US wind power generation and an elimination of Natural Gas as a fuel for electrical generation. He further argues that Natural Gas could be more widely used as an interim transportation fuel before all-electric vehicles take over.

Pickens is investing heavily into wind power, so we already know that his motives are not completely altruistic, however, after much study I can say that I strongly endorse his strategic plan. It will be effective in reducing our dependence on foreign oil, it will reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the long run and it won't cost much more than what we're currently paying the power company.

Many countries are already ahead of the US in wind energy (as a percentage of total national production).

The US is in big trouble on many fronts and energy is one of the more serious concerns. Foreign oil dependence abets poverty, pollution, terrorism, CO2 emissions, war, etc. We simply must stop the insanity.
    Wind energy is NOT a total answer to the energy question, but it can be a significant partial answer.

Watch this 5 minute video when you have the time.

[url]http://push.pickensplan.com/video/video/show?id=2187034%3AVideo%3A175[/url]

If you argee with the Pickens Plan, then please forward this email onto your serious-minded friends.

Then both aisles of the US Congress will give us what we want if we demand action loudly and often. Do not underestimate the power of grass roots ideas.[/QUOTE]

While i do agree with what this post proposes, you do sound partisan, pro-democrat. Democrats have both Congress and Senate for a while and what have they done?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Put tons of people to work IN OUR COUNTRY (As opposed to every other developing country) NOW by investing in alternative energy production IN OUR COUNTRY. We don't produce much oil. Why support the industry? It's killing us literally, figuratively, culturally, internationally and monetarily.[/QUOTE]

+3

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to develop an alternative fuel if only to keep our place in the world.

Why is the US the only superpower? Because of our economy.

Oil is threatening that. Beyond that, whatever nation develops the new alternative fuel will have a significant advantage over the rest of the world. And if that nation is hostile towards us? We're put in an incredibly uncomfortable and precarious situation.

We need to have a new Manhattan-like project to advance wind, nuclear, and especially solar and fuel cells. Capitalism is failing us in this sense: oil has inelastic demand, so the market will not move towards finding an alternative until it is too late.

Granted perhaps I am biased, I'm a wannabe engineer that will hopefully work on solar cells? That and I love America and want us to stay the greatest superpower. And I really don't think this issue is conservative or liberal; personally I'm a free-market fiscal conservative, but I'm a kid so maybe I'm just naive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the issues that hasn't been debated is land use and the interior department. Wind and solar are both going to need huge tracts of federal land which is a resource owned by the taxpayers. How much of this land should we give away to private development?

We are already giving much of it away to ranchers, oil and gas companies, mining companies at give away prices. This is also a big issue with food production particularly with the flooding in the Mid West. Do we turn over taxpayer owned land to big agriculture to produce subsidized bio fuels?

I suspect this is an issue that won't be debated in the coming election. Where is the debate on what to do with nuclear waste? Instead we will hear talk about alternate energy, regulating investors and opening up the strategic oil reserve to try and manipulate short term prices at the expense of our energy safety net.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now they want to do major natural gas drilling in upstate NY.

Right near the watershed that supplys water to about 8 million people.

Drilling in Sullivan raises many issues

By Adam Bosch
    Times Herald-Record
    May 09, 2008
    MONTICELLO — Sullivan County's planning commissioner warned yesterday that drilling for natural gas in the western part of the county won't be regulated by the federal government, poses environmental risks, and could taint the scenic and historic landscape.

"I think this is a bigger threat to us than NYRI," Planning Commissioner William Pammer said, comparing the move to drill for natural gas with the controversial power line project that would slice through Orange and Sullivan County.

Competing energy companies want to harvest natural gas reserves in western Sullivan. Several towns there are located where a field of natural gas is believed to be locked in rocks 8,000 feet below the surface. Some landowners have already signed lease agreements for gas companies to drill on their land.

During legislative committee meetings yesterday, the county stopped short of denouncing the exploration, but Pammer outlined many of the variables that worry lawmakers and citizens.

[B]For instance, the Energy Policy Act of 2005 exempts natural gas drilling from all federal laws that ensure safe drinking water. Drilling companies also don't have to report the contents of a liquid solution that they use to fracture the shale and reach the gas. Pammer said roughly 20 to 40 percent of that solution gets into the ground water and would likely cause contamination.[/B]

Drill rigs would be stationed about every 11 acres, and 2 to 5 acres of land would have to be cleared for each rig. The rigs would run 24 hours a day on 1,500 horsepower diesel engines, and stand between 120 and 140 feet tall. Each rig needs 4.5 million gallons of water a year to operate, which could lessen the capacity of local aquifers.

Some lawmakers proposed the idea of a moratorium, or a drilling ordinance that could slow the process while they gather more information.

The financial allure of gas drilling is significant. Property owners who sign lease agreements stand to make 12 to 15 percent in royalties off the oil that is harvested from their land. That could mean as much as $20,000 per month, lawmakers said.

"This would socialize the environmental cost and privatize the profits," said Dick Riseling, one of Sullivan's leading environmental advocates.
    Last edited by chicadeel; 07-09-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2619967]One of the issues that hasn't been debated is land use and the interior department. Wind and solar are both going to need huge tracts of federal land which is a resource owned by the taxpayers. How much of this land should we give away to private development? [/QUOTE]

one of the most creative ideas i've heard are the offshore wind platform that also harnesses the power of the ocean tide underneath - delaware built one of those, no land required.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2619967]Where is the debate on what to do with nuclear waste? [/QUOTE]

Obama is against a rush to nuke plants for this very reason, mcCain thinks it will all go into Yucca Mountain.

flushingjet
    [quote=dcronin;2619846]Amen to that.

Listen to all the bellowing idiots of left wing media and they will reiterate the left's stance ---dont drill, and never refine anything. Oil is king,
    because there's no substitute at hand and we're happy to help keep prices high to discourage use by normal rational people while taxing the F out of them, because frankly we'd rather smoke while riding our bikes. or is that smoking dope while flying our lear jets like Al Gore. Anyway, Let's kill our "smokestack industries" and send all manufacturing to China and India, prevent drilling the F out of .0000001% our land, and keep the status quo where we prevent all entrepreneurs from finding and extracting oil from any source wherever it may lay. Although global warming isn't a real, verifiable problem in any way shape or form we'll claim it exists to gain political power.

We are some of the most dangerous people the world has seen in ages.[/quote]

Fixed!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

More and more people are starting to feel this way. We can almost see the change in attitude unfolding before our very eyes as gas prices seem to break record highs each and every day.

This country is going to take a huge step forward on the alternative energy front in the next 4 years once the oil man is out of office and a Democrat takes his place. The technology is here, we just need leadership to set the initiative to upgrade our infrastructure and truly take us into the 21st century.