Thread: Attack on the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul

Veteran

Attack on the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul

As of now 3 Turkish Policemen and 3 Attackers are dead.

Here's the story in the NY Times:

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/world/europe/10turkey.html?hp[/URL]

And here are the first pictures from the scene

[URL]http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/galeridetay.aspx?cid=13918&rid=2[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Have you noticed something bizarre in the past few years? The way stuff is reported has changed. Go onto MSNBC.com and you'll see this headline about how "6 people died in a terrorist attack" at the US consultate in Istanbul.

Seems like terrorists killed 6 people, right? No, 3 cops were killed and [I]3 of the terrorist attackers were killed in the gunfight that they started. [/I] I first remember the subtle shift concerning the Israel-Palestine thing. A Palesntinian would blow up a cafe and kill 3 people and himself and the headlines would read, "4 die in bombing attack at cafe." And the VaTech shooting always had some total dead (in the 30's, forget exact number) that included the killer.

It didn't always used to be like this. They used to report how many victims were killed in the headline and later on down the text you'd see that the shooter/attacker was also killed. This mew method is apparently a way of victimizing the killers, equating them with their victims, as if each death is an equal tragedy; terrorist and civilian/cop. It's annoying.

(Just my rant for the day, sorry!)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jets5ever;2620045]It didn't always used to be like this. They used to report how many victims were killed in the headline and later on down the text you'd see that the shooter/attacker was also killed. This mew method is apparently a way of victimizing the killers, equating them with their victims, as if each death is an equal tragedy; terrorist and civilian/cop. It's annoying.[/QUOTE]

I think it's mostly sensationalism. A higher death toll is more shocking, grabs more attention, and ultimately sells more.