Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gholston : BUST ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Gholston : BUST ? ? ?

Home > Commentary > Columns
    Half good, half bad
    First-round picks are usually a toss-up — so let's make calls on this year's class
    By Eric Edholm (eedholm@pfwmedia.com)
    July 8, 2008

If the NFL draft is a crapshoot, then picking in the first round might as well be a coin flip. As in, half the picks end up doing well, half don’t.

Historically, that is how it has been. And though none of the players has taken anything close to a meaningful snap in the NFL, I have an idea who I think ultimately will be worth a first-round selection, and who won’t.Don’t believe me on the 50-50 notion? If it does indeed take three years to evaluate a draft, let’s take a look back at the 2005 edition.

In the “boom” category, I have: Braylon Edwards, DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Jammal Brown, Derrick Johnson, Jason Campbell, Roddy White, Luis Castillo, Marlin Jackson, Heath Miller, Mike Patterson and Logan Mankins. It’s probably too early to make a call on guys like Ronnie Brown or Pacman — er, Adam — Jones or Aaron Rodgers, so for sake of argument, let’s call them potential booms.That’s 16. The other 16 guys drafted that year, for whatever reason, haven’t panned out as expected. Some, such as David Pollack, we never could have anticipated his career-ending injury. Others, like Cedric Benson, have been flops on and off the field.

Inexact science? You bet. Just look at who I called would-be busts from last year — among them, Joe Thomas, Amobi Okoye, Marshawn Lynch, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross and Dwayne Bowe. Some of my booms weren’t too much better, though there’s lots of time for things to change.But I am at it again, casting sweeping judgments on players who have yet to take an NFL snap. Hey, it’s fun, and you guys seem to like to razz me when I am wrong. I probably got more responses last year for my “50-50” column than I did for any two others combined that I have written at PFW. Some liked it, but many did not. I can take it.

On with the list — and with one fewer first-rounder this year, I chose 16 booms and 15 busts, revealing my soft side:

~ ~ ~ 6. OLB Vernon Gholston — Jets
    Prediction: Bust
    Yeah, I finally found my first real bust. There are few better athletes than Gholston — in this class, or in the NFL for that matter — who possess his size and raw ability. But I have serious reservations about the hot-and-cold nature of his play in college (especially the cold against lesser competition) and whether he can be a cerebral, instinctive linebacker. He came off as being very intelligent in talking to him before the draft, but I don’t think he’ll ever put it together as a complete player with the sixth pick.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...holm070808.htm

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric Edholm attack in 3...2..1....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mayo a BOOM
    Gholston a BUST

Paging Mr. Woodbrain. Paging Mr. Woodbrain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How in the world can someone be labeled as a bust before his first training camp?

The #1 knock on him is he looks like he's on roids. Good. We need some bad a$$ lookin players on the team.

It's very possible it will take a year or two for him to really hit his peak in this defense. He's going from a down lineman to a stand up linebacker in a very complicated scheme.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey woodchuck, I thought you said the Pats reached for Mayo?

10. LB Jerod Mayo — Patriots

Prediction: Boom

Bill Belichick handpicked this young man to make the transition from the Bruschi-Vrabel days to the next generation. Sure, Mayo was drafted as a junior and might need time to season — just as Carl Banks once did — but he could be something special in time. He’s an inside ’backer who can turn and run, rush the passer and make plays in the hole.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Mayo a BOOM
    Gholston a BUST

Same Old Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric Edholm attack in 3...2..1....
    First off, like the lack of an avatar.

Second off, how can you comment on any draft pics now? This is one of those things people write so 5 years from now they can say "Look it up, I called it!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is the sensitive mod today that can't handle the truth and felt the need to throw this in the Garbage Dump?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Hey woodchuck, I thought you said the Pats reached for Mayo?

10. LB Jerod Mayo — Patriots

Prediction: Boom

Bill Belichick handpicked this young man to make the transition from the Bruschi-Vrabel days to the next generation. Sure, Mayo was drafted as a junior and might need time to season — just as Carl Banks once did — but he could be something special in time. He’s an inside ’backer who can turn and run, rush the passer and make plays in the hole.

So Mayo is a boom because he can run, but might take time to learn the position, but Gholston is a bust because he can run, and will take time to learn the position.

BTW, I know you are both just posting stuff to get reactions out of the fans, I just think this writer is writing stuff just because it's his job. I wonder if he has ever seen either player play a full game in college.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Who is the sensitive mod today that can't handle the truth and felt the need to throw this in the Garbage Dump?
    Wow. Stunningly quick dump.

Can't have a poor opinion on a Jets draft pick?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    BTW, I know you are both just posting stuff to get reactions out of the fans.
    Blame Kelly. He did it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blame Kelly. He did it.
    yup , i did . . .
    cheers ~ ~ ~

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Home > Commentary > Columns
    Half good, half bad
    First-round picks are usually a toss-up — so let's make calls on this year's class
    By Eric Edholm (eedholm@pfwmedia.com)
    July 8, 2008

If the NFL draft is a crapshoot, then picking in the first round might as well be a coin flip. As in, half the picks end up doing well, half don’t.

Historically, that is how it has been. And though none of the players has taken anything close to a meaningful snap in the NFL, I have an idea who I think ultimately will be worth a first-round selection, and who won’t.Don’t believe me on the 50-50 notion? If it does indeed take three years to evaluate a draft, let’s take a look back at the 2005 edition.

In the “boom” category, I have: Braylon Edwards, DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Jammal Brown, Derrick Johnson, Jason Campbell, Roddy White, Luis Castillo, Marlin Jackson, Heath Miller, Mike Patterson and Logan Mankins. It’s probably too early to make a call on guys like Ronnie Brown or Pacman — er, Adam — Jones or Aaron Rodgers, so for sake of argument, let’s call them potential booms.That’s 16. The other 16 guys drafted that year, for whatever reason, haven’t panned out as expected. Some, such as David Pollack, we never could have anticipated his career-ending injury. Others, like Cedric Benson, have been flops on and off the field.

Inexact science? You bet. Just look at who I called would-be busts from last year — among them, Joe Thomas, Amobi Okoye, Marshawn Lynch, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross and Dwayne Bowe. Some of my booms weren’t too much better, though there’s lots of time for things to change.But I am at it again, casting sweeping judgments on players who have yet to take an NFL snap. Hey, it’s fun, and you guys seem to like to razz me when I am wrong. I probably got more responses last year for my “50-50” column than I did for any two others combined that I have written at PFW. Some liked it, but many did not. I can take it.

On with the list — and with one fewer first-rounder this year, I chose 16 booms and 15 busts, revealing my soft side:

~ ~ ~ 6. OLB Vernon Gholston — Jets
    Prediction: Bust
    Yeah, I finally found my first real bust. There are few better athletes than Gholston — in this class, or in the NFL for that matter — who possess his size and raw ability. But I have serious reservations about the hot-and-cold nature of his play in college (especially the cold against lesser competition) and whether he can be a cerebral, instinctive linebacker. He came off as being very intelligent in talking to him before the draft, but I don’t think he’ll ever put it together as a complete player with the sixth pick.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...holm070808.htm

Don't cerebral and instinctive have opposite meanings?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody else get the feeling that if the Pats draft day efforts to trade up to 5 to grab Gholston (despite the revisionist history that many of the chowds are currently painting) were successful that he would have been put in the boom category

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by newjakecity View Post
    Anybody else get the feeling that if the Pats draft day efforts to trade up to 5 to grab Gholston (despite the revisionist history that many of the chowds are currently painting) were successful that he would have been put in the boom category
    All I know was if this dude rated Gholston a BOOM, this thread would be at the top of the main page.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by newjakecity View Post
    Exactly. The same writer wouldve called Mayo a bust if the Jets took him. Many in the media just call what the Patriots do as great because of past success. I recall last year many of them year complimenting the pats on the draft. And the 2007 draft for the Pats look dismal at this point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I know was if this dude rated Gholston a BOOM, this thread would be at the top of the main page.
    LOL....yeah really!

Like its some kind of site dedicated to the Jets?!!?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    LOL....yeah really!

Like its some kind of site dedicated to the Jets?!!?
    But only certain opinions about the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you know they write these articles before the draft and just plug the player names in afterwards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But only certain opinions about the Jets.
    I think it's more the fact that a lot of Gholston's new fans were saying the same things before we drafted him. Those who can't spin dump.

Proper spin of course would be to credit the FO for wisely taking advantage of the obvious arbitrage opportunity presented by a commissioner who cares more about strip clubs than he does about cheating.