Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rove ignores subpoena, refuses to testify in congress

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rove ignores subpoena, refuses to testify in congress

[SIZE="5"]Rove ignores subpoena, refuses to testify[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Former White house chief of staff could face contempt charges as a result[/SIZE]

July 10: Former White House adviser Karl Rove has ignored a subpoena to testify in front of Congress about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department.

WASHINGTON - Former White House adviser Karl Rove defied a congressional subpoena to testify Thursday about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department, including whether he tried to influence the prosecution of a former Democratic governor of Alabama.

Rep. Linda Sanchez, chairman of the House subcommittee that called Rove, ruled with backing from fellow Democrats on the panel that Rove's claim of immunity was invalid — perhaps the first step toward holding him in contempt for refusing to cooperate.

Lawmakers subpoenaed Rove in May in an effort to force him to talk about whether he was involved in prosecutors' decisions to pursue cases against Democratic politicians or in the firing of federal prosecutors two years ago.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

He had been scheduled to appear at a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing Thursday morning. A placard with his name sat in front of an empty chair at the witness table, with a handful of protesters sitting behind it calling for Rove to be arrested.

The House already has voted to hold two of President Bush's confidants in contempt for failing to cooperate with its inquiry into whether the administration fired federal prosecutors for political reasons.

The case, involving White House chief of staff Josh Bolten and former White House counsel Harriet Miers, is now in court. The White House maintains that its staffers' internal communications are confidential.

Former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman was convicted on corruption charges in 2006. Democrats are investigating whether Rove encouraged the Justice Department to pursue the case.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    God, Rove is such a loathsome POS.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Political Theatre and Pandering at it's best. I especially loved the part about the "placard in fromt of an empty chair, protestors behind calling for arrest".

The courts will eventually decide if Rove's claim of immunity is legitimate or not. Till then, it's all political theatre, nothing more.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet another liberal witch hunt.

Nothing to see here.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2622146]Political Theatre and Pandering at it's best. I especially loved the part about the "placard in fromt of an empty chair, protestors behind calling for arrest".

The courts will eventually decide if Rove's claim of immunity is legitimate or not. Till then, it's all political theatre, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

Really? You can almost see why Cheney can pull this kind of power play, he is a sitting VP. But Rove, a former WH adviser?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;2622176]a former WH adviser?[/QUOTE]

And as such, the "executive Privlige" card has and will continue to be played.

As I said, the courts will have to (or will choose to) figure it out in the end.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2622157]Yet another liberal witch hunt.

Nothing to see here.....[QUOTE]

Its hard to see when ones head is firmly in the sand. :zzz:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2622157]Yet another liberal witch hunt.

Nothing to see here.....[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of that scene from Naked Gun.

"Please stand back! There's nothing to see here!!" ... It's become the Con man mantra.

I bet this clown above is a top-ranked Rove fan.... Little doubt.

Cut from the same cloth.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2622262]And as such, the "executive Privlige" card has and will continue to be played.

As I said, the courts will have to (or will choose to) figure it out in the end.[/QUOTE]
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_privilege[/url]
    [quote]In the United States government, executive privilege is the power (reserve power) claimed by the President of the United States and other members of the executive branch to resist certain search warrants and other interventions by the legislative and judicial branches of government. The concept of executive privilege is not mentioned explicitly in the United States Constitution, but the Supreme Court of the United States ruled it to be an element of the separation of powers doctrine, and/or derived from the supremacy of executive branch in its own area of Constitutional activity.[1]

The Supreme Court confirmed the legitimacy of this doctrine in United States v. Nixon, but only to the extent of confirming that there is a qualified privilege. Once invoked, a presumption of privilege is established, requiring the Prosecutor to make a "sufficient showing" that the "Presidential material" is "'essential to the justice of the case.'"(418 U.S. at 713-14). Chief Justice Burger further stated that executive privilege would most effectively apply when the oversight of the executive would impair that branch's national security concerns.

Historically, the uses of executive privilege underscore the untested nature of the doctrine, since Presidents have generally sidestepped open confrontations with the United States Congress and the courts over the issue by first asserting the privilege, then producing some of the documents requested on an assertedly voluntary basis.[/quote]

Any information Rove might have would certainly be essential to the justice of this particular case. Plus there is no way he can claim national security concerns in a case like this.

His refusal to testify is disconcerting on many levels that have nothing to do with party politics.

Rove sees himself as a demigogue, as the brains behind the throne. This douche is gonna pay for using the constitution as toilet paper for the last eight years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of executive privy, and ducking investigations and subpeonas, I thought Big Dick Cheney insisted he wasn't a part of the executive branch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2622146]Political Theatre and Pandering at it's best. I especially loved the part about the "placard in fromt of an empty chair, protestors behind calling for arrest".

The courts will eventually decide if Rove's claim of immunity is legitimate or not. Till then, it's all political theatre, nothing more.[/QUOTE]
    And if the judge says he has to testify then what? You know that's going to happen because every single legal scholar says there is no basis for this claim. It is totally unprecedented. Rove will continue to refuse to testify and then what? The Justice Dept has refused to prosecute administration members for contempt of Congress. Before Bush leaves office there's a good chance he will give a blanket pardon to make sure that the next administration will not pursue these guys and find out what the real truth is.

What will be your reaction then? Eh?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2622719]This douche is gonna pay for using the constitution as toilet paper for the last eight years.[/QUOTE]

I can almost guaratee you he will not "pay" in any form whatsoever.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2622850]And if the judge says he has to testify then what?[/quote]

When the supreme court rules he has to testify (and we both know it would go that high eventually) then he should testify or be prosecuted.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2622850]Before Bush leaves office there's a good chance he will give a blanket pardon to make sure that the next administration will not pursue these guys and find out what the real truth is.[/quote]

Then perhaps Obama and his Democrat Dominated Congress should change the Law on Pardons, so that the corruption of Bush and Clinton cannot continue in the future.

Think they will?

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2622850]What will be your reaction then? Eh?[/QUOTE]

Eh? EH? Lighten up Francis, I can't change it one way or the other and neither can you. I believe the word is "powerless".

So my reaction will be "eh, ****ing corrupt ass politicians, Reublicans, bah, Democrats, bah". Same as it's always been.

Eh.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, Republicans...you stupid, dim-witted, dumb f**king morons.

Don't you Clems realize that all this retarded bullsh*t with "executive privilege" is going to be thrown right back in your face when you try to investigate Obama when he becomes the next president? You short-sighted, inbred, hill-scoggin' stumpf***ers. You have shown the Dems, play-by-play, how to avoid investigation.

I can't see any way that'll bite you in the a**. Freaking idiots.

BTW...Karl Rove is a fat a**hole. A plane crash with him and his family inside would do the world a ton of good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2623074]I can almost guaratee you he will not "pay" in any form whatsoever.

When the supreme court rules he has to testify (and we both know it would go that high eventually) then he should testify or be prosecuted.

Then perhaps Obama and his Democrat Dominated Congress should change the Law on Pardons, so that the corruption of Bush and Clinton cannot continue in the future.

Think they will?

Eh? EH? Lighten up Francis, I can't change it one way or the other and neither can you. I believe the word is "powerless".

So my reaction will be "eh, ****ing corrupt ass politicians, Reublicans, bah, Democrats, bah". Same as it's always been.

Eh.[/QUOTE]

But we're not powerless Fish, we're apathetic. Huge difference. The problem with most of us is that we don't seem to care enough to exercise our power.

It's easier to say, "eh, we're powerless, we can't change this." But we can. We've always had this power. We choose not to use it. I've already written to my congressman and both of the senators from the state of Florida about the Rove situation.

If enough people took a minute or two, because that's alll it really takes in this internet age, to drop a line to their congressman things would get done.

We have an amazing tool that makes it easy to communicate and exercise our rights as citizen but we still choose to not do so. That's just sad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2623129]Oh, Republicans...you stupid, dim-witted, dumb f**king morons.

Don't you Clems realize that all this retarded bullsh*t with "executive privilege" is going to be thrown right back in your face when you try to investigate Obama when he becomes the next president? You short-sighted, inbred, hill-scoggin' stumpf***ers. You have shown the Dems, play-by-play, how to avoid investigation.

BTW...Karl Rove is a fat a**hole. A plane crash with him and his family inside would do the world a ton of good.[/QUOTE]

This is way over the top and completely unacceptable. If you can't control your emotions, find somewhere else to discuss these issues.

flushingjet
    [quote=PlumberKhan;2623129]Oh, Republicans...you stupid, dim-witted, dumb f**king morons.

BTW...Karl Rove is a fat a**hole. A plane crash with him and his family inside would do the world a ton of good.[/quote]

uh, ah, you left out "gaw damn amerikkka"...

with a "rat-wing" majority in congress, a president b hussein never has to worry about pointless investigation.

"uh, ah, that was a misstep, uh, ah, that won't be repeated, uh, ah...now will you let me alone, uh, ah, to finish my waffle, por favor?"

ladies and dirty sanchez' go together like peanut butter & jelly, but a lady congressman who is a dirty sanchez? ay caramba.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan
    [QUOTE]What will be your reaction then? Eh? [/QUOTE]

Warfish said:
    [QUOTE]Eh? EH? Lighten up Francis, I can't change it one way or the other and neither can you. I believe the word is "powerless".

Eh.[/QUOTE]
    Such apathy. Our Justice Dept is totally corrupted in a way it never was before. Congress tries to investigate and the administration uses totally unprecedented means to thwart the investigation.

Bah bah you say. Same as it's always been. Well the answer is NO. This is not the same it's always been. Aaah but Clinton had some ridiculous pardons you see? Everybody does it. While I agree some of his pardons smacked of financial corruptions they were not done to shut up people who knew of ways that our govt corrupted our judicial system. Not exactly the same thing.

The problem is so many people are apathetic like you that there is no outrage and this is allowed to propagate. Change the constitution you say - and I think the powers to pardon should be changed - but you have to realize that's not an easy thing to do and takes years to do.

Yes, we have the govt. we deserve. No wonder American is going downhill so fast.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2623204]Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan

Warfish said:

Such apathy. Our Justice Dept is totally corrupted in a way it never was before. Congress tries to investigate and the administration uses totally unprecedented means to thwart the investigation.

Bah bah you say. Same as it's always been. Well the answer is NO. This is not the same it's always been. Aaah but Clinton had some ridiculous pardons you see? Everybody does it. While I agree some of his pardons smacked of financial corruptions they were not done to shut up people who knew of ways that our govt corrupted our judicial system. Not exactly the same thing.

The problem is so many people are apathetic like you that there is no outrage and this is allowed to propagate. Change the constitution you say - and I think the powers to pardon should be changed - but you have to realize that's not an easy thing to do and takes years to do.

Yes, we have the govt. we deserve. No wonder American is going downhill so fast.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][B]"In a Democracy, The People Get the Government They Deserve."[/B]
    - Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE]

"Watergate was not a big deal. The Pentagon Papers proved nothing. A president could never be assassinated by its own government, had to be a lone nut. Daniel Ellsburg was a traitor. The Church Committee was unneccesary. Unions should be broken. I don't care that the facts about the war were wrong, I support our country no matter what. We should not protest, it hurts the troops. Ron Paul is just a crazy old man. Mike Gravel is just a crazy old man. Talking about impeachment has to be just partisan talk, it could not possibly have merit. The country does not need a partisan show by holding (insert name) accountable publicly. I know there is corruption in our government but its always been like that, so its no big deal. Who cares about what Karl Rove has done, its more partisan politics. I know the United States may be compromising its core values with their actions, but I know they are trying to protect us so its okay by me. We should not have made a big deal about the My Lai Massacre, they were probably doing the same thing to us. I will gladly give up my civil liberites as long as they get those scary Muslims, my government knows best anyway. The terrorists hate us because they are jealous of us. You have the right to speak out, now shut up because we are at war. Who cares about 'scooter libby, it was a witch hunt, and I don't even understand what happened anyway."

-quotes from the bewildered Herd
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 07-11-2008 at 10:42 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2622630][QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2622157]Yet another liberal witch hunt.

Nothing to see here.....[QUOTE]

Its hard to see when ones head is firmly in the sand. :zzz:[/QUOTE]

IJF - would you mind answering this question?

In the case of alleged wrongdoing by this governor, is it worse for (1) the WH officials to use their influence to suggest applying the law to a transgressor or (2) to break the law yourself and illegally take a boatload of FBI files on your political opponents, deny you ever had them and then find them at a place under your control with (literrally) your fingerprints all over the files?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JCnflies;2623282][QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;2622630][QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;2622157]Yet another liberal witch hunt.

Nothing to see here.....

IJF - would you mind answering this question?

In the case of alleged wrongdoing by this governor, is it worse for (1) the WH officials to use their influence to suggest applying the law to a transgressor or (2) to break the law yourself and illegally take a boatload of FBI files on your political opponents, deny you ever had them and then find them at a place under your control with (literrally) your fingerprints all over the files?[/QUOTE]

either way is wrong.