Thread: Anheuser-Busch agrees to InBev sale

Anheuser-Busch agrees to InBev sale

Money wins again and again. Blue collar jobs are being sold to the highest bidder.

[QUOTE]Anheuser-Busch reportedly has agreed to be acquired by Belgian brewer InBev for $49.9 billion.

The deal being reported by The Wall Street Journal would create the world's largest brewer and put the iconic American beer maker in the hands of the Belgian-based company behind Stella Artois and Beck's beers.

The newspaper cited anonymous sources who said Anheuser-Busch-InBev would be the new company's name and Anheuser would have two seats on the company board.

Anheuser-Busch did not return a message seeking comment Sunday evening.

The newspaper said the deal was for $70 a share. That's an increase over InBev's original offer that was rejected in June.[/QUOTE]
    [url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080714/ap_on_bi_ge/anheuser_busch_inbev;_ylt=AmgzkaqnwYPH4Rl1wL_WuaKs0NUE[/url]

The only guys I could see losing their jobs in this deal are the very top execs and managers in Budweiser. Unless I'm wrong, the factories aren't going anywhere, so neither will the blue collar jobs.

All League
    Maybe Budweiser will actually taste good now.

From what I have read you are wrong. Inbev is going to shut down breweries.
    Bye Bye to another American product.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2625686]The only guys I could see losing their jobs in this deal are the very top execs and managers in Budweiser. Unless I'm wrong, the factories aren't going anywhere, so neither will the blue collar jobs.[/QUOTE]

InBev has a reputation as an aggressive cost-cutting company. But it has said that it will not close breweries in the U.S. Of course, it said the same thing when it took over Interbrew (Stella Artois, Beck's) in 2004, and wound up doing just that after a few years.

Whether breweries close or not, A-B is going under the scalpel. Current management was vowing to cut $1 billion in costs. These guys will beat that by at least 50% before they touch a brewery.

In the end, you'll see a lot fewer ads, and probably a lot more discounting on Bud and its many sublings (Michelob, Busch, Natty Light).

Very sad that all three major U.S. breweries are now in foreign hands, but that's the way of the world these days. A-B could have avoided this fate if its management had bought into many developing nations when it had the chance back in the 1980s, 1990s and earlier this decade. InBev didn't pass on those opportunities, and that's why it has the scale to pull off this dea.

Jets Insider VIP
    Budweiser sucks. Maybe the Belgians will show them how to make real beer...

Adolphus Bush who founded Budwieser was a German import. If it wasn't for globalization back in the 1857 we wouldn't have had all those jobs to begin with.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;2625894]Adolphus Bush who founded Budwieser was a German import. If it wasn't for globalization back in the 1857 we wouldn't have had all those jobs to begin with.[/QUOTE]

+1.

He also stole the Bud recipe from the Czechs, so what comes around goes around, I guess.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2625888]Budweiser sucks. Maybe the Belgians will show them how to make real beer...[/QUOTE]

:yes:

Budweiser is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted - too sweet, no taste.

[QUOTE=Black Death;2626039]:yes:

Budweiser is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted - too sweet, no taste.[/QUOTE]

Mike Royko, the great Chicago newspaper columnist, once remarked that it "tasted like they ran it through a horse." He wasn't wrong.

In Bud's defense, Americans love watery beer they can drink six at a time. That's just a fact, and they have always given the people what they want. Which is why nearly every other beer drunk in America is brewed by A-B.