Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush lifts Executive Order banning drilling!

All Pro

Bush lifts Executive Order banning drilling!

Now we'll see which party is really costing us $4 a gallon at the pump.

Couldn't be the party of the "working man", the elderly and the impoverised, could it?

Let the dem talking points fly...

All League
    A political party is the reason why gas is over $4 a gallon? I had no idea. Must be the Republicans in bed with the oil companies who jacked up the price to over $4.

I am sure you won't complain when the Jersey shore gets occassionaly shut down due to oil mishaps. Big fun.

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb;2626212]Now we'll see which party is really costing us $4 a gallon at the pump.

Couldn't be the party of the "working man", the elderly and the impoverised, could it?

Let the dem talking points fly...[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    It's how the Bush family made their millions........ (I always thought it was in baked beans :P)

~ Consider it Bush's favor to his fellow oilmen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Meaningless unless Congress chooses to act. And I don't see that coming.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2626311]Meaningless unless Congress chooses to act. And I don't see that coming.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that drilling offshore is no quick fix. It would take years for the increased production to effect gas prices.

This reeks of a desperate attempt to say, "I tried to do something about it."

To say nothing of the fact that the executive ban W. is lifting was initially enacted by his father in 1991.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Klecko73isGod;2626318]Not to mention that drilling offshore is no quick fix. It would take years for the increased production to effect gas prices.

This reeks of a desperate attempt to say, "I tried to do something about it."

To say nothing of the fact that the executive ban W. is lifting was initially enacted by his father in 1991.[/QUOTE]

Not a quick fix, no.

The irony IMO though, is I heard an interesting news report the other week (at leats a week ago now) about a Wind Farm getting built. It sounded great (really), till they mentioned the cost (a ton), how long it would take to build (4 years till operational), and how little it would actually provide (50,000 Homes).

Sadly, there are no quick fixes. I wish Wind and Solar were quick fixes, but they aren't either. The quick fix, the equivalent-to-oil fix, as yet dos not exist. Hence why I always say "do it all, drill AND wind/solar AND research the future". Alone, none work. Combined, they might.

Oh, and yes, Bush is playing Politics here, obviously. I agree with the rest of your post.

I never understood the whole "drilling is not a quick fix" argument. Is anyone saying it IS a quick fix?

We do know that oil IS a viable energy source and we have millions of vehicles, etc. that currently still operate with this fuel.

I know my Honda Accord doesn't have a flux capacitor or a Mr. Fusion installed in it, so, until someone pulls some new technology out of their rear ends, I still need fossil fuel.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2626321]I wish Wind and Solar were quick fixes, but they aren't either.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention they require vast quantities of land. I read somewhere that a solar farm the size of Nevada could power the US. :eek:

Didnt Clinton veto a bill approved by Congress around 12 years ago allowing us to drill off the coast of Alaska? Because it wasnt a quick fix.

Why would Congress be against it now?

And we wouldnt be having gas over 4 dollar conversations if he allowed it to happen...

[QUOTE=cr726;2626242]I am sure you won't complain when the Jersey shore gets occassionaly shut down due to oil mishaps. Big fun.[/QUOTE]

You no nothing about offshore drilling, do you? Just a little side note. There is a 500 times more likely. chance of a oil tanker accident causing a spill then an offshore rig. given that knowlege which do you prefer?
    Last edited by acepepe; 07-14-2008 at 12:52 PM.

It's a good idea and something we had to do eventually, but it's a friekin pipe dream to think that 1.) Oil Prices will go down significantly or 2.) All of that oil will go straight to the U.S.

If anything, why would the oil companies pin themselves into a bad business decision by supporting the floundering American economy? Why would they sell 100% of the offshore oil to America with the dollar the way it is? You will make WAY more money if you ship that oil overseas which is what they will do.

Now that the ban has been lifted, the oil companies have expanded their production and will continue trading in Euros and shipping overseas. Try and snap out of your conservative dream world for one second and realize that the people that are in power could give two sh*ts about you and only want their money and their power.

Its in no way a quick fix or a long-term solution. If anything it just keeps the public dumb in thinking that the government is doing something to solve the problem.

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb;2626212]Now we'll see which party is really costing us $4 a gallon at the pump.

Let the dem talking points fly...[/QUOTE]

And you also realize that that picture of Obama in your sig was from a ambassador mission to Africa and he was dressed in the traditional garb. The same as any other world leader would do to show respect for the country.

Go ahead and vote for McCain, an old school politician who will say anything, go against his own stances and kiss anyones ass for a shot to be in charge.

Vote for Obama. And if you're worried about a black president, just vote for the white half of him.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2626321]
    Sadly, there are no quick fixes. I wish Wind and Solar were quick fixes, but they aren't either. [/QUOTE]

4 years is quicker than 20

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2626358]4 years is quicker than 20[/QUOTE]

And the idea that offshore drilling wouldn't help in any form for 20 years is a fallacy Bit.

Maybe this will spur the oil companies to drill the 68 million leased acres they currently have but don't use.

In any event, it will do nothing for prices now or really at all this decade. When the oil does come online, if any is found, it will go to a global market and the impact on what the average American pays at the pump will be pennies, at best, 7-10 years from now.

There is not even close to enough supply in these areas to impact pricing. The only thing that will really do that is greater investment in new technologies (wind, solar, fuel cells) that will truly reduce demand for oil.

We will never, ever have enough oil to have any real impact on its pricing. The only long-term solution is to make oil less essential and establish a leadership position in the industries that supplant it.

[QUOTE=JiF;2626330]Didnt Clinton veto a bill approved by Congress around 12 years ago allowing us to drill off the coast of Alaska? Because it wasnt a quick fix.

Why would Congress be against it now?

And we wouldnt be having gas over 4 dollar conversations if he allowed it to happen...[/QUOTE]

If gas is $4.09 now, it would be $4.08 if that had happened. The amount of oil you are talking about is miniscule in the scheme of a global market. It is not going to impact supply enough to move pricing in any significant way at all. If all of the oil offshore was online tomorrow, prices would n't change all that much, and of course all of the oil will not be online tomorrow or five years from now, or ten.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2626371]And the idea that offshore drilling wouldn't help in any form for 20 years is a fallacy Bit.[/QUOTE]

US has such a small amount of world supply, less than 3%, all of it would have to hit the market for prices to change.

The Oil companies already have millions of acres of land to explore, giving them more is a gift not really a solution.

If you believe that to be a fallacy please prove it to me.

[QUOTE=nuu faaola;2626395]If gas is $4.09 now, it would be $4.08 if that had happened. The amount of oil you are talking about is miniscule in the scheme of a global market. It is not going to impact supply enough to move pricing in any significant way at all. If all of the oil offshore was online tomorrow, prices would n't change all that much, and of course all of the oil will not be online tomorrow or five years from now, or ten.[/QUOTE]

+1

the scope we are talking about here is cents not dollars. If you think a 5 cent reduction in price 15 years from now is a significant change, then yes Drilling will make a significant change.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2626371]And the idea that offshore drilling wouldn't help in any form for 20 years is a fallacy Bit.[/QUOTE]

[quote=Bitonti]US has such a small amount of world supply, less than 3%, all of it would have to hit the market for prices to change.

The Oil companies already have millions of acres of land to explore, giving them more is a gift not really a solution.

If you believe that to be a fallacy please prove it to me.[/quote]

well you're both right...

if we're talking ANWAR, it's definitely 20-30 years

if we're talking off-shore in Cali or Florida or something, 7-11 years to peak production is more likely than 20-30